Game Day (Preseason): Suns (1-1) @ Blazers (1-0), Thurs 10/12/23

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Game Day (Preseason): Suns (1-1) @ Blazers (1-0), Thurs 10/12/23

Post by Superbone »

MightyMoog wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:38 pm
Ayton played like an average center that is being paid max money.
I’m so glad he’s not our problem any more. I’m happy he’s happy now. No pressure and he got his money. Good for him.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Wally_West wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:19 pm
That female ref is great. She’s been making the right calls all night. Just has a great eye for the game. No ego, just calls the game right. She’s perfect. 10/10 would let her ref any game.
I didn't even notice the refs tonight, which is how it should be, and a great indicator that they did well.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:43 pm
Wally_West wrote:
That female ref is great. She’s been making the right calls all night. Just has a great eye for the game. No ego, just calls the game right. She’s perfect. 10/10 would let her ref any game.
I didn't even notice the refs tonight, which is how it should be, and a great indicator that they did well.
The only time I really noticed them was in the first half when it took them FOREVER to make the take foul call. And it sure looked like a break away foul to me. There was nobody in front of Gordon.

"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I'm already over the Saben Lee, Udoka Azubuike, Keon Johnson, Nassir Little and Bol Bol experience. We could trade them all for Brogdan, and I would be ecstatic, haha.

I hope not to experience any of these players much at all this season.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:45 pm
In2ition wrote:
Wally_West wrote:
The only time I really noticed them was in the first half when it took them FOREVER to make the take foul call. And it sure looked like a break away foul to me. There was nobody in front of Gordon.
Totally agree. I was commenting to my son that those calls should be made immediately in Secaucus.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

I was only able to catch parts of the game, but I saw some encouraging things from Goodwin.

And I've been trying to tell y'all that Gordon has a lot left in the tank.

Giving up 40 points in the first quarter is concerning.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:01 pm
I was only able to catch parts of the game, but I saw some encouraging things from Goodwin.

And I've been trying to tell y'all that Gordon has a lot left in the tank.

Giving up 40 points in the first quarter is concerning.
The Suns really ratcheted up the defense in the second half of the second quarter to break it open and go up 20 at halftime.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Booker
Beal
Gordon
Allen
Goodwin

We’re fine as long as 4 of them are available on most nights. Lee only becomes a factor when 2 or more of them are out.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:48 pm
Superbone wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:45 pm
In2ition wrote:
Wally_West wrote:
Totally agree. I was commenting to my son that those calls should be made immediately in Secaucus.
I don't get why they have to review every clear path foul. That one was obvious.

Some galaxy-brain stuff to institute a rule meant to speed up the flow of the game and take 5 minutes to review it every time the call is made.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:41 pm
Goodwin looked good. I love when he stripped DA the second DA put the ball on the ground for his spin into traffic. Someone gave him the scouting report.

KBD and Little have kind of been floating and looking for their opportunities each game. They go through long stretches where they're invisible. For better or worse Okogie forces the action and gets himself involved, which is why he's running away with the starting job. Yuta and Metu are also making their presence felt. KBD and Little need to do more than stand in the corner. The ball finds energy, as Mike D used to say.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:55 pm
Agreed about the defense. UGLY.

I need a clip of Beal's reaction to Thybulle getting floored by the combo of Gordon's cross and Nurk's pick.
I clipped a photo on the replay. Gordon really put one on Thybulle in the second quarter.

Also the halfcourt defense wasn't as bad on the rewatch. Turning the ball over and just getting beat in transition were the issue.

Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

The Blazers have some interesting talent but need to shake the roster out a bit and find an identity. Grant and Simons are just ISO scorers, Sharpe is still young and super athletic but doesn't have any real game yet. DA is DA, what can ya do. Scoot is legit tho, he's just got to put it all together and get the most out of his teammates which is asking a lot for a young PG like that.

Our defense picked up in the 2nd qtr but we still gave up 40pts in the 1st. Can't do that against better teams even if we have the firepower. Nurk really opens up the offense from the highpost, very underrated seeing the court and making passes. Finished strong too and got the line which is hopefully something that's consistent. The defense is what it is, he just can't move laterally or be a deterrent near the rim even tho he had a few nice plays there. Maybe it's just an adjustment/communication tho but he always seems a step slow.

Goodwin's a player, just a matter of finding minutes for him. He's a tough guard with size, maybe not a true point but a good enough ballhandler and his outside shot looked good. He and Okogie are top notch defenders. EG is tough as nails and just has a workman-like approach, kind of nonchalantly dropping 20pts on 8-10FGs. That last forward spot in the rotation is definitely up for grabs. Little looks the part, there's something there if he can do one thing well consistently and should be that 3/smallball 4 we need. KBD seems like he's just kind of out there, not sure he's in the rotation.

I like Vogel mixing and matching the lineups and getting a bunch of players time and working with lineups. Yuta was the go-to offensive player in the 2nd half which was good to see after not playing in the 1st half. I guess my biggest concern right now is us finding that bigger defensive backup forward. Vogel seems to be searching for it too between Little, KBD and Metu. We have a lot of talent but it's mostly guys 6-6 and under - Beal, Book, EG, Allen, Goodwin, Okogie. Yuta a 6-7 sniper behind KD but that's really it at the moment. I guess we'll get by mixing Little and KBD in with the regulars and just sort of letting them soak minutes hoping for any kind of contribution.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Postgame Quotes (don't think press traveled, not a lot here)
Spoiler: show/hide

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:17 pm
Furlanfufi wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:04 pm

Did he?
Nope. Just Leezus trying to stir shit up.
Nah… he’s immature but not that immature. Not like he’d do anything petty like unfriending his teammates would he?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Nice win. Was great to see a strong game from Goodwin. I have high hopes for him being a bench guard for us who actually gets minutes this season. I continue to not like the Saben Lee minutes; I hope he isn't in the rotation (or gets cut).

I'd say KBD and Little are the two most disappointing guys to me so far. I really thought KBD would be our 5th starter but so far he barely looks like a rotation player. I do see signs from him, though, and I want to give him more time. Little has also just kind of been out there not doing much, but similarly I want to give him more time.

I don't really want to talk much about the centers. Nurkic had a really nice game. The former guy didn't have such a great game. It is what it is. I'm sure there'll be some games in the future where he puts up numbers against us and that's okay. I wish him the best. I'm happy with the team we have, and I'd rather move on.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Azubuike played well in stretches, especially in combination with Goodwin. There's some hope there.
Bol Bol looks lost.
As others have mentioned, KBD has yet to impress.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I really liked Azibuike out of college and he had some flashes for the Jazz but I think weight is a concern. He doesn't look as athletic as he is, kind of plods along but is a good enough run-jump athlete and has a 7-7 wingspan. He's not a bad 3rd big in a pinch.

Split T

Post by Split T »

He’s explosive…not the most agile athlete though. His straight line drive and dunk was pretty athletic.

Not the highest bball IQ or skill set which is the problem. He’s fine on a 2-way. Can fill in if we need a few minutes of a screener/roller and rebounder. Plus a big body near the rim on defense.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

9 boards is a stat I like.