Grading McDonough

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Ring_Wanted

Re: Grading McDonough

Post by Ring_Wanted »

OE32 wrote:I respect your posts, Ring, but you do know what BPA means, don't you?
I do. I question wether he was the best player remaining in what was supposedly the deepest draft in a decade. I was not high on Kyle Anderson, but I could have taken Harris or McGary. If McD felt Ennis was BPA, good for him for sticking to what is universally considered as the best approach, at least in terms of value.
OE32 wrote:I think he's worth at least a first round pick. I don't think he's devalued the players on our roster, but rather that he has given other teams reason to think we have to move our players even if we think they're good.
I do think he has disturbed things on the court. I agree that he is easily worth a 1stR.
I'm sure we could trade Thomas for Frye if we wanted, but it's not like that was a championship combo, and Frye at that money doesn't have value in trade. I'm looking at this from a liquid prospective. McD's making us rich.
Sometimes value is not the most important thing. I'd take what the Suns had last season, with Frye at 8M, instead of what I have had to watch this season with Thomas and his fantastic bang for the buck. Of course, it is not that easy, but our game has been borderline unwatchable, to me at least.

If we are rich, it certainly is not showing in terms of happiness, and that's even after a number of players got paid.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Ring_Wanted wrote: If we are rich
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

My original scores (first post) have been updated based on the most recent developments.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Superbone wrote:My original scores (first post) have been updated based on the most recent developments.
What if he gets a real bounty for Dragic? But yeah, his alienation has been a lack of foresight and deserves proper criticism. I really wish things were not definitively broken.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Superbone wrote:My original scores (first post) have been updated based on the most recent developments.
What if he gets a real bounty for Dragic? But yeah, his alienation has been a lack of foresight and deserves proper criticism.
This isn't all the fault of "McMiracle." This has Blabby's fingerprints all over it.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

INFORMER wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
What if he gets a real bounty for Dragic? But yeah, his alienation has been a lack of foresight and deserves proper criticism.
This isn't all the fault of "McMiracle." This has Blabby's fingerprints all over it.
Was Babby the main proponent of using cap space to sign IT3? That kind of 'value' move looks like McD to me.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
Was Babby the main proponent of using cap space to sign IT3? That kind of 'value' move looks like McD to me.
This goes beyond Thomas. But you're right, Thomas is all on Ryan.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

INFORMER wrote:This goes beyond Thomas.
I am sure it does, but IT3 is the biggest factor. Watching how things have gone since Dragic came back, he had no problem sharing the PG duties with Bledsoe when we were winning and playing well. The thing that has changed is the addition of Thomas with the substraction of Frye.

Mediocre play and record, plus playing out of position full time (up to nominally SF, no less), plus removing my decoy wouldn't fly with me either.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
How so?

"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
How so?
Well for starters, he never wanted Dragic back here. Two, negotiations are under his purview. And three, getting owned by Mr. Rich Paul, professional chapter writer, got the ball rolling on this whole debacle.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Superbone wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
How so?
Well for starters, he never wanted Dragic back here. Two, negotiations are under his purview. And three, getting owned by Mr. Rich Paul, professional chapter writer, got the ball rolling on this whole debacle.
I don't know about not wanting Dragic back but other than that, good points.

"Be Legendary."

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

McDonough was bound to make mistakes as GM. He will learn and be better for it. I am still glad he is our GM.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

But losing the best player, or to be more precise, putting him in a situation where he feels moving on is the best for him, is a terrible mistake for a GM.

I don't want my GM to go around licking asses, but I can't take lightly a miscalculation like this one.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Ring_Wanted wrote:But losing the best player, or to be more precise, putting him in a situation where he feels moving on is the best for him, is a terrible mistake for a GM.

I don't want my GM to go around licking asses, but I can't take lightly a miscalculation like this one.
Yep. Acquiring assets without taking into account how they interact or what kind of effect it's going to have on your stars is a big mistake. Analytics at the expense of putting the best team on the court is what it feels like that happened. Maybe Barkley's right.

"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Superbone wrote:Maybe Barkley's right.
Maybe he is not totally wrong.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Superbone wrote:Maybe Barkley's right.
Maybe he is not totally wrong.
:) Yeah, probably a better way to put it.

"Be Legendary."

SDC

Post by SDC »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
i believe the IT signing had mcdo's fingerprints all over it (good signing, if you have no intention of keeping bledsoe)

caving to bledsoe is sarver's decision. i remember him asking bledsoe to pull up his shirt to see if he's in shape before signing him to the near max extension.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think the thing is, signing IT was just fine, and we got him on a good deal. But the minute the ink is on the IT contract, you have to let Bledsoe go. You can't keep three high-dollar PGs on a roster like that. I supported keeping Bledsoe, but I didn't know how IT would fit in; I was wrong.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I wasn't a big fan of IT, because I'm not a fan of tiny ball-stopping volume-shooting score first pgs. They work well for short periods, like pick up games, but can't sustain it unless you build your team around defense and rebounders that don't care to score and aren't trying to get open to get the ball. I know some people were really excited, but this is where I agree with SDC(God forbid). This wasn't a great road to travel down, no matter how great the value was, and especially if you were trying to resign Bledsoe even to a near Max contract.

I think there are other things that Goran wasn't excited about either. Do you guys remember how he rolled his eyes and walked away disgusted when Marcus went off on Hornacek? If I was Goran, I would have lost faith in management too. Draft a pg for the future, Sign a guy that minimizes my best year, Sign the other inferior pg to a near Max contract, sign the unstable Morris bros., and give a contract to a bench 3 that's forced to start yet gets in trouble and misses a team flight...
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Uncle_Gene

Post by Uncle_Gene »

2013 Offseason: A-

2014 Offseason: D

Brought in WAY too many guards. This team needed big men, bottomline. I don't blame Dragic at all, cause by watching him play he didn't seem to be motivated at times on the floor.
Phoenix Suns 2024-25 NBA Champions !