2024 Suns Offseason: Where do we go from here?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
TOO

Re: 2024 Suns Offseason: Where do we go from here?

Post by TOO »

specialsauce wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 6:58 pm
No way in hell I want to give him the extension he wants. I'd love to swap him and Beal and then get off that contract in 2026.

I'd also love to swap KD and Adebayo
Me too, too bad Riley would laugh at that.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 1:25 pm
Here would be a thought….

Reports are that Miami is souring on Jimmy…they were also linked to Beal before.

Beal for Jimmy? Makes a lot of sense for us, but does Miami still want Beal with no Jimmy? Beal has a worse contract and is a worse player, so they probably want a pick too. Does Beal want that? Would be tricky, but Jimmy as our de facto pg who can also defend and adds size would be nice next to Booker and KD…when he actually plays at least.
Butler is not a point guard any more than Booker or Beal are point guards. We need an actual point guard.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

JeremyG wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 8:29 pm
Split T wrote:

Reports are that Miami is souring on Jimmy…they were also linked to Beal before.

Beal for Jimmy? Makes a lot of sense for us, but does Miami still want Beal with no Jimmy? Beal has a worse contract and is a worse player, so they probably want a pick too. Does Beal want that? Would be tricky, but Jimmy as our de facto pg who can also defend and adds size would be nice next to Booker and KD…when he actually plays at least.
Butler is not a point guard any more than Booker or Beal are point guards. We need an actual point guard.
Totally agree. Jimmy isn't a pg and I don't believe he'd be happy to play second fiddle to Book as the face of the franchise, he craves the limelight too much. He's also 4 years older than Beal , and missed the entirety of the post season this year through injury.

Split T

Post by Split T »

He’s not a traditional pg, but I disagree that he’s not more of a pg than Booker or Beal. Jimmy is definitely an on ball player and is a better playmaker than Booker or Beal. He’d be a better pg than anyone we’re gonna find in FA.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Jimmy Butler is probably better than Beal short-term, but he's several years older and probably isn't a true fix for what's wrong with this team. He's not an excellent facilitator; he isn't a great on-ball defender any more; and he wants to have the ball at the end of the game (just like Book and KD). Honestly Beal might even be better for this team since Beal is grateful to be on a winning squad and doesn't expect to be "The Man" here. Beal seems to have bought into his role as trying to help facilitate and being the 3rd best of the "Big" 3.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

JeremyG wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 8:29 pm
Split T wrote:

Butler would fill two major issues- we can pair Butler at the 3 and Book at the 2 as a much much more natural fit and slide a PG into the lineup. If we do that with a PG, Book and Beal we're extremely small.

Butler is a type A asshole who rises in the playoffs. Something we desperately need that the mediocre 3 lack.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 12:57 pm

What!?
What is right, what was it? I gather from the subsequent remarks that it had something to do with Harden wanting to play here?
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 10:35 am
Split T wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 12:57 pm

What!?
What is right, what was it? I gather from the subsequent remarks that it had something to do with Harden wanting to play here?
He updated the tweet because the information was wrong..here’s the new one

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

I’ll prob get killed for this but i would consider dealing Durant. His value is only going to decline and you’re not moving Beal.

Durant and Little for Jarret Allen and Darius Garland and 2 1sts fills 2 needs for this team and gets Book back to being the alpha. To then also have Nurks reasonable contract to trade as well.

Garland
Beal
Booker
?
J.Allen

Bench
Grayson

It doesn’t solve anything but pivots from 3 guys and a bunch of crap while getting us 2 picks as well
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Split T

Post by Split T »

Cleveland traded most of their picks for Mitchell. Not sure they have any left. I do think Cleveland makes sense as a KD trade team if they decide to trade KD. I think they’d want to keep Allen…What would we have to add to get a Mobley/Garland combo?

I’d also want to trade Beal at that point as Garland/Beal/Booker is too small. Garland/Booker/Mobley is a fun trio going forward though that can compete for awhile.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Beal having a no trade clause and coming off a year where is value is prob at it’s low point makes that tough. It is small…ideally we find a 3 and bring Beal off the bench then
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Sunsfan4life wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 12:22 pm
I’ll prob get killed for this but i would consider dealing Durant. His value is only going to decline and you’re not moving Beal.

Durant and Little for Jarret Allen and Darius Garland and 2 1sts fills 2 needs for this team and gets Book back to being the alpha. To then also have Nurks reasonable contract to trade as well.

Garland
Beal
Booker
?
J.Allen

Bench
Grayson

It doesn’t solve anything but pivots from 3 guys and a bunch of crap while getting us 2 picks as well
Because we are a second apron team, we can’t combine salaries. If we trade Durant, it would just be Durant going out. Also knowing Ishbia and Cavs owner Dan Gilbert relationship… I wouldn’t expect us to ever make any deals with them ever lol

Split T

Post by Split T »

But if we’re pivoting to building more for the future, would he say no?

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Split T wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 12:35 pm
Yes! These rich fucks are petty!!!

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Wally_West wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 1:08 pm
Split T wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 12:35 pm
Yes! These rich fucks are petty!!!
Totally. Ishbia and Gilbert HATE each other. Piss on each others graves, burn each others homes down type of hate.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I don't think any trades will be made BUT

Beal to Milwaukee
Dame to Miami
Rozier, Hightower and Herro or DRob to Phoenix

No idea if this works in the offseason but that'd be the general idea. We save money with DRob, take on money with Herro (which might not be allowed in the summer). But we'd break up Beal's deal for more perimeter help and get a ballhandler in Rozier and even Herro. Beal's from St. Louis so maybe going to the Bucks to re-establish himself next to Giannis is enticing to him?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

ShelC wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 11:18 am
I don't think any trades will be made BUT

Beal to Milwaukee
Dame to Miami
Rozier, Hightower and Herro or DRob to Phoenix

No idea if this works in the offseason but that'd be the general idea. We save money with DRob, take on money with Herro (which might not be allowed in the summer). But we'd break up Beal's deal for more perimeter help and get a ballhandler in Rozier and even Herro. Beal's from St. Louis so maybe going to the Bucks to re-establish himself next to Giannis is enticing to him?
That's a creative trade idea, but I think Milwaukee would balk at giving up on Dame so quickly. Giannis would be pissed if they downgraded from Dame to Beal so soon after acquiring Dame in the first place. And Beal is a clear downgrade from Dame. MIL would have to get more back in that deal.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

What about Chris Quinn as a Vogel replacement?

He is coach Spo’s right hand man and apparently has been a big part of developing Bam and the Heat role players. The Heat have a pretty good track record at maximizing their role players and other random ass players they pick up off the street. With our asset and budget limitations, we could probably use some of that Heat Culture to find some diamonds in the rough and light a fire under everyone’s ass.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Idk what to do. But if we're insistent on not trading the mid 3 we need a coach with a spine. And we need role players who don't turn the ball over constantly (Nurk), aren't afraid to shoot (Gordon, Okogie) and have some physical attitude (all of them).

Split T

Post by Split T »

I don’t really like any of the coach options. Who will get them to shoot 3s?

I did try to look at all the former head coaches who are still in the nba…one did catch my eye and that’s Scott Brooks. He was with KD in OKC until 2015 and then went to Washington and was with Beal until 2021. He’s currently the associate head coach in Portland. Though in my research, the biggest complaint about him in OKC was his offense had no structure. Lots of simple pnr or just Westbrook and KD isolating. But he was the coach for both KD and Beal’s best seasons in the nba. From what I can tell KD didn’t have anything bad to say about him.

Other guys with head coach experience working as assistants:
Brett Brown, James Borrego, Luke Walton, Igor Kokoskov, Dave Joerger, Stephen Silas, Lloyd Pierce, Brian Shaw, Kenny Atkinson

Head coaches who recently worked but aren’t currently with a team:
Terry Stotts, Darvin Ham, Mike Budenholzer, Nate McMillan, Dwayne Casey