Phoenix Suns 2014: Offseason Moves

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: Next Moves

Post by INFORMER »

One thing to keep in mind is that Jabari Parker isn't 100% sure he is coming out. I think that there's a chance he returns to Duke. But let's say he doesn't.

I think it's a lock that Embiid, Wiggins, and Parker go in the top three, though that could change if Embiid's back doesn't checkout.

So that leaves Vonleh, Exum, Gordon and Randle (I believe there are seven outstanding prospects in the draft, with Smart being a rung below them). One of those four players will go at 4. Could be Exum. Could be Randle. Could be Vonleh. So from my point of view, at 5, there will be three worthwhile choices.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Parker needs to shed the Baby fat...butI think he will. I think the best comparison to him may be Paul Pierce. He is still 3/4 in my eyes, but I may toy with taking Randle or Gordon over him. Noah Vonlaeh could be a beast, but I only saw 1 Indiana game this yr, he looked good during it but a little raw. I've seen highlights and read alot, but still not the same as game action.Might be 1 of the higher ceilings, but may take a few yrs to get there. He's probably the prospect I've seen the least, other then Exum, out of the top 8.

Parker doesn't know what he's doing on Defense. Duke seemed like they were on tv every other day so I saw a crap load of him. He can check out on D at times. When Duke is playing Offense/Defense with him and Rodney Hood against 14th seeded Mercer, it makes you question him a bit. Now Parker's offensive game is so good He will prob be able to overcome his defensive liabilities right away, Hood..not so much, thats why he's fallen a ways in my eyes over the course of the yr.
Last edited by Sunsfan4life on Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

I agree with INF on Smart. Rumor has it the magic would of taken him 1 last yr, wonder if they still are as infatuated with him this yr now have Ola. Could pair those two up in the backcourt.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Jabari Parker isn't worse on D than James Harden.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Its tough to be worse on D then James Harden. That shouldn't be the standard

carey

Post by carey »

INFORMER wrote:One thing to keep in mind is that Jabari Parker is 100% coming out. I think that there's a chance he returns to Duke. But let's he doesn't.
Huh?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

carey wrote: Huh?
It should have read:
One thing to keep in mind is that Jabari Parker isn't 100% sure he is coming out. I think that there's a chance he returns to Duke. But let's say he doesn't.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Sunsfan4life wrote:Its tough to be worse on D then James Harden. That shouldn't be the standard
I'm not saying it should be the standard. I'm just saying, as bad as James Harden is on defense, he's the best player on a really good playoff team. And plenty of .netters were gaga about acquiring him.

The point? I don't think Parker's defensive inadequacies overshadow his vast ability and skills he's shown in several areas of the game. He's one of the top 3 prospects in the draft. Period. His discipline and awareness on the defensive end need considerable work, as his concept of rotations and team defense seem very below average. But I think that's correctable. And the fact that he's a presence on the defensive boards and mad plenty of plays protecting rim and blocking shots on weakside help shouldn't be overlooked.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

I'm not saying his defensive inadequacy will keep him from being an impact player in the league, even an all-star, but its one reason I'd consider Randle or Gordon over him. I still think he's going to be a very good-great player in the league and be thrilled if he wound up in a Phoenix uniform. But there is more a pause on him then their is on Embid or Wiggins. Jabari has the lowest ceiling of the 3 IMO.

First things first, he has to declare.

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

Hey, its OLD SCHOOL...VIRT!!!!! SWING!

What up folks? LTNS! I'll drop a thread in general, want to see what everyone has been up to...been way long...

VT

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

VT! It has been too long. Cap is around as well.

I am around but not posting much...only when I have something intelligent to say.
Learning much by following the convo, though.

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

I agree patience is the key here. Continue to make good decisions and add good assets. Don't overpay/over reach trying to make it all happen this off-season

sunset rubdown

Post by sunset rubdown »

INFORMER wrote:
Sunsfan4life wrote: Dream scnerio...14,17, and a Morris or 2 up into the top 5 or 6. Take Aaron Gordon
Hope that Boston doesn't get a top 3 pick. If Danny Ainge is actually serious about being down on this draft class, if the Celtics pick isn't in the top 3, it may be available. Right now they're sitting at 5.

A deal of Morris Twins, #14 & #17 for Brandon Bass, Joel Anthony, and #5 may be possible.
Well, I am a Morris twins` fan (they are great teammates, very tough and proved this season they can be a valuable players in the NBA) but I would jump on this deal in a second.

Pick our future franchise PF with the 5th (my order right now: Randle/Vonleh/Gordon) and my boy KJ McDaniels with the Indy pick and I`d call upcoming draft succesfull one.

Bledsoe/Goodwin/Smith
Dragic/Green/Goodwin
Tucker/Green/McDaniels
Randle/Frye/Bass
Plumlee/Len/Frye

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:Hey, its OLD SCHOOL...VIRT!!!!! SWING!

What up folks? LTNS! I'll drop a thread in general, want to see what everyone has been up to...been way long...

VT
Talty! Good to see ya, buddy. Welcome.

TOO

Post by TOO »

If OKC calls and offers Westbrook for Dragic, what do you do?

carey

Post by carey »

Say thank you?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Not with the salary difference. If the two players had equal salaries, I might still take Dragic as he's proven himself a team player. Given his production per salary output ratio, in addition to his strong attachment to the team, Dragic's the one player I consider untouchable.

That being said, I wonder if Dragic should have the Brostrom procedure performed on his ankle. Repeated ankle sprains are indicative of partially or fully torn ATFL or CTFL ligaments. The Brostrom procedure reconstructs the torn ligaments, with the patient on crutches for a month, in a walking boot another 2 months, and working up to a full recovery in about 9 months. If Dragic were to have the procedure done, he'd be back up to full speed next January.

For the record, I had the procedure done on my right ankle at Stanford Medical Center, and have had excellent results as do 98% of the people who have the procedure done.

Where's Singh when you really could use his expertise? Anyone see him around?

carey

Post by carey »

virtual9mm wrote:Not with the salary difference. If the two players had equal salaries, I might still take Dragic as he's proven himself a team player. Given his production per salary output ratio, in addition to his strong attachment to the team, Dragic's the one player I consider untouchable.
We only have Dragic for one more year, then he'll opt out of his deal. Westbrook is signed for 3 more years. He'll make $17Mil in the final year of his deal though, and that's a lot of scratch for a guy that has a recurring knee issue.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I really dislike Westbrook. I know it's a little silly, but I'd much rather have Dragic than Westbrook on our team, and that's even before you start to consider salary. But stats don't really back me up on that one. It's a sentimental preference, a homer pick.

TOO

Post by TOO »

At least youre honest about it. :lol: