2015 NBA Draft

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
OE32

2015 NBA Draft

Post by OE32 »

Don't mean to hijack the College basketball thread (certainly during March Madness, that'll be the place to go), but the deadline is past, next transactional event is the draft. Can you believe it's only a little over 4 months away? :D

I really liked last year's draft, and I thought there were some interesting prospects the year before that as well. But I'm not liking what I see so far, though I'm just scratching the surface. Is this going to be a bad draft, a good draft, what? What kind of talent is likely to be available at #13/14? Would you move up, down or out? Who would you target?

Split T

Re: 2015 NBA Draft

Post by Split T »

I think this draft looks like a fairly typical draft. Not too strong, not weak either. I'm not an expert though. Okafor is going to be good, I think he's at least Al Jefferson, probably better. I really like D'Angelo Russell and Kristaps Porzingis. They'd be in my top 3 if I was picking up there. I think Russell could be a Brandon Roy type player. I'm higher on both of them than Mudiay or Towns, but they could be players too.

I imagine around 13/14 we'd have some decent options. As far as big men go, we'd be looking at Montrezl Harrell, Frank Kaminsky, Bobby Portis. I'd like to move up, I think a guy like Myles Turner would be nice and I'm intrigued by Kevon Looney, not sold on him though. I'd love Porzingis, but I don't think we'll have the assets to get a top 5 pick.

I'm also a fan of Rondae-Hollis Jefferson, Troy Williams, Vince Hunter. Not sure where they'll end up in the draft though. I'd also take a flyer on Alex Poythress or Chris Walker if they are around in round 2. Walker probably needs to stay at Florida another year though.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Right now Sacramento is at #6 and the Suns are at #13. If that holds, I think the Suns could do a pick swap in a deal like:

Phoenix receives: Jason Thompson, Carl Landry, #6
Sacramento receives: Markieff Morris, Marcus Morris, #13

The target would be Kristaps Porzingis or Myles Turner.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

sunset rubdown

Post by sunset rubdown »

That Landry and Thompson salary (around 13.5 mil per year for 2 more seasons) would be hard to swallow. We would basicaly be out of free agent hunt in the next 2 summers and I am not sure Turner or Porzingis are that much better (to justify a price we would pay to move up) than our other PF options which should be available with our pick (Looney, Portis, Harrell).

OE32

Post by OE32 »

INFORMER wrote:Right now Sacramento is at #6 and the Suns are at #13. If that holds, I think the Suns could do a pick swap in a deal like:

Phoenix receives: Jason Thompson, Carl Landry, #6
Sacramento receives: Markieff Morris, Marcus Morris, #13

I can guarantee we're not going this route, but if we did, we'd have to get a third team involved, because the Morrises aren't the sort of rim protector they're said to want next to Boogie.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

That seems like too much long-term salary ballast to take on just to move up 7 spots in the draft. It also loses us a lot of talent in Kieff, though I know you dislike him. I wouldn't do that trade.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

INFORMER wrote:
Two of my favorites as well. Love what I saw from Turner last week. Haven't been able to watch as much college ball as usual this yr due to a hectic schedule, but after sitting down and watching him I was impressed.

Freakish wingspan, Shot blocking presence, and I was impressed with how mobile he was.

Porzingas is the wildcard in the whole draft he is rising and could crack the top 5 or 6 before its all said and done.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Turner does look like he could be a 4/5 - exactly what we need. Someone who can play next to either Markieff or Alex. Not an easy player to acquire. Vonleh also fits that description.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

sunset rubdown wrote:That Landry and Thompson salary (around 13.5 mil per year for 2 more seasons) would be hard to swallow. We would basicaly be out of free agent hunt in the next 2 summers
It's the same amount of money the Suns have invested in the Twins, Landry and Thompson's contracts end sooner. PLUS, Thompson's last year is nonguaranteed. So it's not 2 more years. and if anything, it improves the the Suns ability to pursue free agents. I'm not sure what math you're doing.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

sunset rubdown wrote: I am not sure Turner or Porzingis are that much better (to justify a price we would pay to move up) than our other PF options which should be available with our pick (Looney, Portis, Harrell).
Portis/Looney/Harrell aren't even in the same atmosphere as Porzingis and Turner.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

OE32 wrote:Vonleh also fits that description.
That's my other target with a Morris Twins trade package. The Twins for Marin Williams, Noah Vonleh, Brian Roberts, and a 2nd round pick.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

INFORMER wrote:
OE32 wrote:Vonleh also fits that description.
That's my other target with a Morris Twins trade package. The Twins for Marin Williams, Noah Vonleh, Brian Roberts, and a 2nd round pick.
That one I would do without hesitation, frankly. Grab a vet PF in free agency who can hold down the spot (Amir Johnson?) and move forward. Unfortunately, I don't think Markieff works next to Al Jeff, and he's a strange fit next to Zeller as well. That team is in desperate need of a 2 and a dynamic front court scorer off the bench. Marcus fits the description of the latter to a degree. McD would have to get creative to make it happen (not too worried about that, frankly). The Hornets will have to move Zeller or Vonleh eventually.

sunset rubdown

Post by sunset rubdown »

INFORMER wrote:
sunset rubdown wrote:That Landry and Thompson salary (around 13.5 mil per year for 2 more seasons) would be hard to swallow. We would basicaly be out of free agent hunt in the next 2 summers
It's the same amount of money the Suns have invested in the Twins, Landry and Thompson's contracts end sooner. PLUS, Thompson's last year is nonguaranteed. So it's not 2 more years. and if anything, it improves the the Suns ability to pursue free agents. I'm not sure what math you're doing.
I somehow pass through Morris bros in this deal. My bad.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

No problem.

One prospect I'm warming up to is Tyus Jones. I was thoroughly unimpressed with him in the Hoop Summit game, but each time I've seen him this season, I've been quietly impressed with how he plays. He'll never be an All-Star, but I see him embodying so much of what the Suns are lacking in their point guard play: toughness, steadiness, high basketball IQ, good decision-making, and reliable long-range shooting. I like him next to Knight.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Does every thought in your head revolve around ways to get rid of Bledsoe and The Wonder Twins?

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

I am not sure I want any rookies this year unless its someone really special. I would prefer to clean out the roster (let Green go, move Thornton etc) and trade or sign a starting quality (all-star level) pf. Package picks and players etc.

carey

Post by carey »

JCSunsfan wrote:I am not sure I want any rookies this year unless its someone really special. I would prefer to clean out the roster (let Green go, move Thornton etc) and trade or sign a starting quality (all-star level) pf. Package picks and players etc.
Thornton expires. The only money we took back at all after the trade deadline deals was Danny Granger's $2M for this season and $2M for next season & Miami also sent us $2M in cash to help pay for it. Our books are really clean next year.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

Yeah, if you take out Granger, we only have 8 guys under contract for next year. Obviously we are saying we want to bring Knight back, but I am not sure on who else we might be targeting.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I can't believe that Thorton is our 2nd highest paid player...

Indy

Post by Indy »

I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I really hope we keep Green.