Suns News: Week 18 2/23-3/1

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Suns News: Week 18 2/23-3/1

Post by Split T »

OE32 wrote:By "the rest" I'm talking about our daydreaming about the LA pick and the fantasy that we could have gotten him this summer without giving up comparable assets. I regard Knight's quality as a basketball player to be the only true question.
+1

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
OE32 wrote:By "the rest" I'm talking about our daydreaming about the LA pick and the fantasy that we could have gotten him this summer without giving up comparable assets. I regard Knight's quality as a basketball player to be the only true question.
+1
Why do you not think it is relevant that we had to give up players and a very good pick to rent a player for 30 games?

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

OE32 wrote:
INFORMER wrote:The problem is with all of this is that it's just Brandon Knight. It's just Brandon Knight. He's not a special talent, hasn't proven great at anything, has never been efficient, and isn't a great fit at either guard position. He's a good player. But good players aren't that hard to come by.
This is the one argument worth making. The rest is bunk. The only real question is, is Brandon Knight any good?
+1

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Any kind of analysis of Knight's numbers seems to be done on his Milwaukee numbers. He isn't going to put up the same stats here with Bledsoe hogging the ball.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Man we talkin' 'bout Brandon Knight. Brandon Knight. Not a 1 pick. Not a 1 pick. Brandon Knight. I mean what are we talkin' 'bout? Not a 1 pick that can carry a franchise. Brandon Knight. I mean how silly is that?

SDC

Post by SDC »

Split T wrote:
INFORMER wrote:The problem is with all of this is that it's just Brandon Knight. It's just Brandon Knight. He's not a special talent, hasn't proven great at anything, has never been efficient, and isn't a great fit at either guard position. He's a good player. But good players aren't that hard to come by.

I liked him in a package deal for Bledsoe when options were limited and in attempt to get something for him and as a more favorable alternative to paying Bledsoe. But to target him alone and give up multiple assets right before having to give him a substantial contract?! Gross.

It's a valid argument and mostly how I feel as well. I'd rather have kept the pick and packaged it with other assets to get a better asset(two $5 for a $10 instead we traded a $5 bill for a different $5 bill)but I don't hate the trade. I don't think the laker pick is as valuable as some suggest.

Here is to landing Knight for somewhere in the vicinity of 4 yr 44 million and watching him take another step next year. Someone mentioned this earlier, but he's younger than Lillard and puts up reasonably close numbers. He's not the pg or athlete that lillard is, but he's not far off.
mcdo's an awful judge of talent or what they are capable of. clippers ditched bledsoe for dudley because they dont want to overpay and milwaukee did the same to knight and got some decent players in return.

and pls dont bring up len at #5, alex was my second choice (over noel) behind oladipo if he's not available.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

I will also say - if we want to go the full rebuild, the full blow-it-up, I think that opportunity is still available to us. We worry about that LA pick, but if we want the #7 in this year's draft, all we gotta do is call up Sacramento and offer up Eric for the #7 and Stauskas (and filler). I have very little doubt they'd go for it. We keep Knight at the PG (for now), and draft at the #7 and #10-12. Heck, if Sacto got into the top 3, I think there's a decent chance they'd still trade that pick for Bled. They need to compete now.

We could also do the same deal, I bet, with Detroit and KCP and their pick. What I'm saying is, we can have that pick back if we want it.

If we were to go this route, my primary motivation would be losing the MoBros. I've gone from not caring about them, to being mildly optimistic, to downright hating them. They're assholes. Spoiled shitheads. I don't want to cheer for them. They don't play team ball, and they're not good for the development of TJ, on whom I still pin much of my hope for the future of this club.

Indy

Post by Indy »

No we can get that pick back by giving up more assets?

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Indy wrote:No we can get that pick back by giving up more assets?
It's as if you're determined to bury your head in your ass.

jkalldaway

Post by jkalldaway »

I'm for blowing this thing up. Trade Bledsoe, the Morri, Tucker, do not resign Green. Keep Knight, Len, Archie, Warren and go from there.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Really? You just said if we really want that pick, we just have to give more. We already gave away a high future first, a decent first round in Ennis, and Plumlee for a 3 month rental and some bird rights. Now you suggest we give up more to get that original first back. The logic isn't there. I'm not the one needing to check where my head is.

jkalldaway

Post by jkalldaway »

@siriusxmnba: Goran Dragic says that last night was one of the best wins of his career after defeating his former team

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Indy wrote:Really? You just said if we really want that pick, we just have to give more. We already gave away a high future first, a decent first round in Ennis, and Plumlee for a 3 month rental and some bird rights. Now you suggest we give up more to get that original first back. The logic isn't there. I'm not the one needing to check where my head is.
How does it look up there? Poopy, I would assume. I just don't feel like explaining simple things to you, or pointing out how disjointed your views have become. I've never had the impression you're a moron, so I assume you're in an emotional state and can't see the light of day.

Robot

Post by Robot »

Sad days. Players aren't going to want to come here, there isn't anything but negativity lately . Squandering the entire good will of last season. We will overpay for marginal talent or go for trades. I have 0 confidence in this front office and our perception around the league with players/agents is at an all time low .

It's one thing to trade Dragic because of the circumstances but another to trade the lakers lottery pick, Plumee, Ennis, Isaiah Thomas and Dragic for a player who isn't under contract next year and John Salmons.

Think about it. Nice work.

-R
Last edited by Robot on Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Let's get real, please.
No reason for name-calling just because the team sucks.
Last edited by LazarusLong on Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

OE32

Post by OE32 »

You know who wasn't under contract? Goran Dragic. What about restricted free agency do people not understand?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Robot wrote:Sad days. Players aren't going to want to come here, there isn't anything but negativity lately . Squandering the entire good will of last season. We will overpay for marginal talent or go for trades. I have 0 confidence in this front office and our perception around the league with players/agents is at an all time low .

It's one thing to trade Dragic because of the circumstances but another to trade the lakers lottery pick, Plumee, Ennis, Isaiah Thomas and Dragic for a player who isn't under contract next year and John Salmons.

-R
Careful there Robot. I think you may have your head up your ass, because you are acting like a moron.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Indy wrote:
Robot wrote:Sad days. Players aren't going to want to come here, there isn't anything but negativity lately . Squandering the entire good will of last season. We will overpay for marginal talent or go for trades. I have 0 confidence in this front office and our perception around the league with players/agents is at an all time low .

-R
Careful there Robot. I think you may have your head up your ass, because you are acting like a moron.
He's acting like a guy engaging in misrepresentation, like yourself. Here, let me try:

"... but another to trade a future pick, a bench warmer, a guy half of us thought we shouldn't have drafted, a guy most of us think we shouldn't have signed and would have traded for nothing, and a guy who was about to leave us for nothing in free agency for a 23-year-old near-all-star locked into restricted free agency and three draft picks, one of which is totally unprotected."

Now you're talking about Bledsoe like an "asset," but of course, half of the board seems to think we shouldn't have signed him in the first place! This is what I don't understand. Nobody seems interested in taking a dispassionate look at these things.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

OE32, as Laz says, let's please find a way to have this conversation without name-calling and personal attacks.

I do worry about what Robot mentions. The team is starting to get a bad rep. I don't see why a top FA would consider coming to Phoenix. We had a certain cachet in the 90s and even in the mid-to-late '00s but I think the luster has worn off.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Point taken re: name-calling, but note that I specifically said he is *not* a moron. I called him *not* a name. I felt like I was being trolled: everything I would post, and he would respond with something... disingenuous? Is that a nicer way to put it?