2015 NBA Draft

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: 2015 NBA Draft

Post by Mori Chu »

The Lakers are pretty solidly the 4th worst team in the league. I don't think they are passing 2 other teams. The aggravating thing would be if they passed 1 team to become 5th worst, but then in the lottery one team jumped up to top-3, making their pick 6th so that it conveys to Philly.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Mori Chu wrote:The Lakers are pretty solidly the 4th worst team in the league. I don't think they are passing 2 other teams. The aggravating thing would be if they passed 1 team to become 5th worst, but then in the lottery one team jumped up to top-3, making their pick 6th so that it conveys to Philly.
That scenario is very plausible. I am sure Ryan looked at this draft though and considered what would be available at 6 and decided he liked Knight better. Its a game of odds.

carey

Post by carey »

How high will Hezonja go?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:The Lakers are pretty solidly the 4th worst team in the league. I don't think they are passing 2 other teams. The aggravating thing would be if they passed 1 team to become 5th worst, but then in the lottery one team jumped up to top-3, making their pick 6th so that it conveys to Philly.
That scenario is very plausible. I am sure Ryan looked at this draft though and considered what would be available at 6 and decided he liked Knight better.
Boy I hope that isn't the case.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

If that happens, I will be furious at McDonough.

Cap

Post by Cap »

We all will.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

INFORMER wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:
That scenario is very plausible. I am sure Ryan looked at this draft though and considered what would be available at 6 and decided he liked Knight better.
In terms of the picking getting to be 6, or McD rating knight better than a likely #6 choice or both?

I would agree it seems fairly short sighted in terms of thinking we already have a young core and don't want to have to keep developing guys even though they may be the better player eventually.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Danimal wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:
In terms of the picking getting to be 6, or McD rating knight better than a likely #6 choice or both?

I would agree it seems fairly short sighted in terms of thinking we already have a young core and don't want to have to keep developing guys even though they may be the better player eventually.
Pfft..

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Danimal wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
JCSunsfan wrote:
/quote]

In terms of Ryan rating Knight better than a likely #6 choice.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Mori Chu wrote:If that happens, I will be furious at McDonough.
i'm gonna go against the grain a little and say that you should be furious now or never... you can't really watch a guy make a decision given what he knows, and then blame him later when one of the assumptions he made came out in a particularly unfavorable way, no matter how unlikely that was. that would be hind-sight... note that i'm not saying that it's very unlikely that lakers pick falls out of the top 6, just saying that if you dislike the move, you need to do it now.

personally, i was not a fan of the move, but i could see some of the rationale that led up to it. whatever else happens, ... i've lived to be content with anything, after the early sarver years.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Pickle: Well, that's fair. I guess what I'd say is that I'm already furious about it, and I think it was a very unwise decision to trade that Laker 1st rounder. But if it does turn out to be a top-5 pick or whatever and fetch an amazing prospect, that will just cause me to be reminded of it all the more and make it something I'll have a hard time forgetting.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:Pickle: Well, that's fair. I guess what I'd say is that I'm already furious about it, and I think it was a very unwise decision to trade that Laker 1st rounder. But if it does turn out to be a top-5 pick or whatever and fetch an amazing prospect, that will just cause me to be reminded of it all the more and make it something I'll have a hard time forgetting.
Serge Ibaka. Every effing time I see that guy, or hear his name, it reminds me of that awful deal. And that was a late first rounder. I really hope we don't end up talking about this give away for the next 10 years.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The thing is, you can't always talk about missing out on the best available player in hindsight. There's no guarantee that we would have selected that guy.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:The thing is, you can't always talk about missing out on the best available player in hindsight. There's no guarantee that we would have selected that guy.
Of course not, but giving up the opportunity is what kills me. Sure, we could have picked any of the 20 guys picked after Ibaka instead, but honestly, I would bet at least half of those guys would be better than giving the pick away for cash relief.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

All those times we sold first-round picks for $3m cash ... Thinking about it almost gives me an aneurysm. Can you imagine? We probably would have had a title, or at least gotten much closer to one, if we'd kept some of those damn picks. Yeah, not going to forget about that for a good long time.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:The thing is, you can't always talk about missing out on the best available player in hindsight. There's no guarantee that we would have selected that guy.
Of course not, but giving up the opportunity is what kills me. Sure, we could have picked any of the 20 guys picked after Ibaka instead, but honestly, I would bet at least half of those guys would be better than giving the pick away for cash relief.
I think I would have rather had the cash than Casey Jacobsen. ;) Tayshaun Prince would have been nice though.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:All those times we sold first-round picks for $3m cash ... Thinking about it almost gives me an aneurysm. Can you imagine? We probably would have had a title, or at least gotten much closer to one, if we'd kept some of those damn picks. Yeah, not going to forget about that for a good long time.
It will always haunt me as to what would have happened had we drafted Igoudala.

"Be Legendary."

OE32

Post by OE32 »

One thing that will always kill me about that era was - most basketball fans knew these were tremendous errors at the time. It always kills me when a middle-aged or older multimillionaire has less sense than even the common fan. Even from a business perspective, Sarver was thinking about cash flow when he should have been thinking about net present value.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Yeah, it wasn't even a 20/20 hindsight thing. We all knew it was stupid at the time. Cheap-ass $arver blew our chance at a title with his idiotic selling of picks and assets for cash. I don't know if I can ever fully forgive him. Even though he's softened in recent years, I will celebrate when Sarver no longer owns the team.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Mori Chu wrote:Yeah, it wasn't even a 20/20 hindsight thing. We all knew it was stupid at the time. Cheap-ass $arver blew our chance at a title with his idiotic selling of picks and assets for cash. I don't know if I can ever fully forgive him. Even though he's softened in recent years, I will celebrate when Sarver no longer owns the team.
It was definitely a near unforgivable sin. He has his chances, but I thought he was and is now screwing the pooch with his 'one foot in, one foot out' type of commitment.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass