Around the League: Week of 4/14-4/20

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
TOO

Re: Around the League: Week of 4/14-4/20

Post by TOO »

carey wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
His draft rights are on my offseason grocery list.
Yeah, honestly I think it was stupid how they treated him that way. The Pelicans were starting guys off the street for the last 1/4 of the season. Rivers was getting a ton of minutes at PG and he's awful. There was no reason to not bring Pierre in.
I'll never understand not getting PT at Rivers' expense, he's so bad. It's not like Jackson could have been worse.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

carey wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
His draft rights are on my offseason grocery list.
Yeah, honestly I think it was stupid how they treated him that way. The Pelicans were starting guys off the street for the last 1/4 of the season. Rivers was getting a ton of minutes at PG and he's awful. There was no reason to not bring Pierre in.
Yeah, that is puzzling, since they didn't absolutely tank to keep their pick. Who knows, they might still get it if the pick lands in the top three, but...he probably would have helped them this year.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote: Solid PG draft last year, I like McCallum too, wouldn't be shocked if the Kings let Thomas go in favor of the bigger option.
I'd like Thomas next to Dragic. Are you out there ShelC?
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

More on Monroe:
That was before Andre Drummond was drafted in 2012, Josh Smith was signed to a long-term contract in 2013, and the Pistons saw the big-three front line -- without the requisite perimeter shooting to complement it -- and the poor results it produced.

Drummond isn't going anywhere and there is some question whether Smith's contract can be moved yet. So the quickest way to break up the front line without keeping it together into next season is via Monroe's departure.

"This isn't the first time this happened to somebody," Monroe said. "It won't be the last. I'm just focusing on me, making sure I'm ready for whatever changes may come or may not come."

The final decision rests with the Pistons, who are not likely to let Monroe walk without compensation. It's far more probable that they re-sign him, or try to swing a sign-and-trade, even with the questions about who runs the franchise next year.

Monroe said he came into the NBA "optimistic" when the Pistons drafted him in 2010 out of Georgetown.

He never has played in postseason.

"Obviously, I was thinking that I would be, by this point, a little bit more successful than the team has been," Monroe said. "I definitely didn't -- and I don't think anybody would -- come in expecting to not make the playoffs."

Monroe has the reputation as a high-character big man -- the kind of asset teams generally don't let get away.

He is a consistent rebounder and scorer, though his mid-range game and finishes at the basket still could improve. What the Pistons must decide, as well as potential suitors, is whether those attributes overcome his defensive challenges, which were even more pronounced this season.
http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.ssf/ ... racte.html

He definitely needs to spend an offseason honing his mid-range jumper. It's the finishes around the basket that give me slight pause. I've been watching his film (thanks In2!) and against the Hawks he got packed TWICE by 80-year old Elton Brand, who is nearly 3 inches shorter. Monroe's elevation leaves a little to be desired.

carey

Post by carey »

I really don't see how Monroe is anything more than what we already have in Markieff.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Wow. Really?! I don't think there is anything the two have in common.

TOO

Post by TOO »

carey wrote:I really don't see how Monroe is anything more than what we already have in Markieff.
I'd say they are 100% different players. Monroe is a traditional paint based big like Al Jefferson, Markieff is more of a midrange pick and pop guy.
Last edited by TOO on Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TOO

Post by TOO »

INFORMER wrote:Wow. Really?! I don't think there is anything the two have in common.
They're both tall. :D

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:More on Monroe:
He definitely needs to spend an offseason honing his mid-range jumper. It's the finishes around the basket that give me slight pause. I've been watching his film (thanks In2!) and against the Hawks he got packed TWICE by 80-year old Elton Brand, who is nearly 3 inches shorter. Monroe's elevation leaves a little to be desired.
My pleasure.

You've got to remember that Brand's reach is like 10 inches longer than Monroe, so it makes him a good 6 inches taller, essentially. :D I kid, I kid
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Monroe has a bit of an old man game. I like him though....particularly for this team and think he can be had at a reasonable price despite his RFA status.

Kieff does his work mainly away from the basket, Monroe is the opposite. I don't like the comparison.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

TOO

Post by TOO »

Offensively, I think Monroe and Markieff would fit well next to each other. Who needs defense? ;)

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

If Monroe is a Sun, then Kieff is a Piston.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Because DET needs another 4? :shock:

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Josh Smith would be the only power forward left. Kieff would be a sixth man like he is here. All, a Smith-Kieff-Drummond lineup works better than Smith-Monroe-Drummond because Kieff can play away from the basket.

carey

Post by carey »

INFORMER wrote:Wow. Really?! I don't think there is anything the two have in common.
Sorry, I meant in "net gain." Their strengths are different, but I just don't feel Monroe is so much better that we would throw a lot of money at him when we already have Markieff.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

I like Markieff in Detroit, would space the floor a lot better....Although if they bring in Isiah as GM like rumored there is a very good chance we can make the trade and send them Marcus and they wouldn't know the difference.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Sunsfan4life wrote:I like Markieff in Detroit, would space the floor a lot better....Although if they bring in Isiah as GM like rumored there is a very good chance we can make the trade and send them Marcus and they wouldn't know the difference.
NICE!!! That was funny.

Big Jake Little Jake

Post by Big Jake Little Jake »

Monroe's overrated. My best buddy watches every Pistons game and even he doesn't even like him. Whoever said he's like Al Jefferson without the post game is right on. He's not just slow, he's got no motor and seems disinterested in most games. Now maybe some of that is because he plays with notorious ball sharers like Brandon Jennings and Josh Smith, but he's been that way for awhile.

If I were the pistons GM I'd sign and trade him as soon as I could for some decent perimeter players.

We need a Chris Bosh type. A big who is quick, can pick and pop AND pick and roll, decent post game, decent rebounder...who best fits that mold?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Big Jake Little Jake wrote: We need a Chris Bosh type. A big who is quick, can pick and pop AND pick and roll, decent post game, decent rebounder...who best fits that mold?
Kevin Love! :D
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

Big Jake Little Jake wrote:We need a Chris Bosh type. A big who is quick, can pick and pop AND pick and roll, decent post game, decent rebounder...who best fits that mold?
Chris Bosh.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!