Phoenix Suns 2013-2014: Year In Review

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: Phoenix Suns 2013-2014: Year In Review

Post by Mori Chu »

I'd MUCH rather sign Gasol as an FA this offseason than trade assets for him, lose those assets, and then feel more pressure to re-sign him to avoid having wasted those assets.

And I say that despite not being super pumped about Gasol in general. I'd much rather have Love or some other guys.

carey

Post by carey »

Sarver was asked (during Burns & Gambo) whether they would consider signing Gasol. He said sure, he thinks he has some good basketball left, but then said he doesn't know how far down the list he would be and that they would consider "everyone."

Here's a link if you want to listen (22 minutes): http://icestream.bonnint.net/az/audio/2 ... 304376.mp3
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

Thanks for the link, I really think ol' Bobby has turned the corner.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Inf, i still think you're being too hard on Bledsoe in the initial post. It remains to be seen if he'll be given a max deal. I don't feel great about him as a max player, but I think he's proven himself to be a game changer and difference maker. And pairing him with Dragic gives us a top flight backcourt, which in this league right now is a huge advantage and all the more reason for keeping him.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Mori Chu wrote:I'd MUCH rather sign Gasol as an FA this offseason than trade assets for him, lose those assets, and then feel more pressure to re-sign him to avoid having wasted those assets.

And I say that despite not being super pumped about Gasol in general. I'd much rather have Love or some other guys.
:roll: :roll:

SDC

Post by SDC »

carey wrote:Sarver was asked (during Burns & Gambo) whether they would consider signing Gasol. He said sure, he thinks he has some good basketball left, but then said he doesn't know how far down the list he would be and that they would consider "everyone."

Here's a link if you want to listen (22 minutes): http://icestream.bonnint.net/az/audio/2 ... 304376.mp3
again, why bother? the time to do that was before the trade deadline. #mcdoOUT

the suns media, especially gambo, are really stupid. just shut up, you guys were proven wrong already. the suns needed to sign a quality big man during this season's playoff run, miles plumlee's knee injury only made that more painfully obvious.

SDC

Post by SDC »

the other teams know the suns have too many picks and have to sell them or trade them if mcdo wants to build on this season's success. and no, the lottery teams arent selling their high picks for the 14th or 25th pick or any combination mcdo can come up with.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

SDC wrote: the suns media, especially gambo, are really stupid.
I need to chime in here. I hate how the foundation is already been laid to give McDonough a pass on 2013 draft. Gambo, wanting to ask a question about getting zero from Alex Len, prefaces the question with "well, 2013 draft was terrible anyway." :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: Someone send these buzzos highlight reels of Michael Carter-Williams, Kelly Olynyk*, Gorgue Dieng, Mason Plumlee**, or Giannis Antetokounmpo.

* I think I've stated this before, but I really hope that Danny Ainge, as a professional courtesy, asked that McDonough stay away from Olynyk. McDonough did not bring him in for a workout, and the Celtics traded up to get him. What I'm thinking is that McDonough was in on the front office discussions and was privvy to the high regard the Celtics had for Olynyk and projection of just how good he could be, and out of respect to his former employer, passed on trying to draft him.

**I completely missed on Plumlee. I liked Miles so much better than him, and really didn't see Mason making it in the NBA. But he's been terrific for Brookly, and probably better than Garnett has for them.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

ShelC wrote:Inf, i still think you're being too hard on Bledsoe in the initial post. It remains to be seen if he'll be given a max deal. I don't feel great about him as a max player, but I think he's proven himself to be a game changer and difference maker. And pairing him with Dragic gives us a top flight backcourt, which in this league right now is a huge advantage and all the more reason for keeping him.
Maybe, Shel. Maybe.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Gotta ask, how did you see Miles being better than Mason? They've got pretty much the same measurables, but Mason was actually effective at Duke, Miles was kinda just there.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I felt Miles was more equipped to handle the physicality of the NBA more so than Mason. It was my "we think Robin can be better than Brook" moment.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I think you're a little too high on Olynyk. He's 2.5 years older than Len and while he has good offensive upside, he's likely always going to be a defensive negative.

When Olynyk was Len's age he was averaging 5.8 ppg for Gonzaga.

SDC

Post by SDC »

INFORMER wrote:I felt Miles was more equipped to handle the physicality of the NBA more so than Mason. It was my "we think Robin can be better than Brook" moment.
in an ideal world, miles plumlee would be a taller/younger version of lou amundson, and goran dragic the sixth man, a super sub in a championship/dynasty squad ala what ole gunnar solskjaer did for man united.
Last edited by SDC on Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SDC

Post by SDC »

so, should the suns try to make the playoffs next season?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

SDC wrote:so, should the suns try to make the playoffs next season?
Huh? Suns WILL be in the playoffs next season. What are you smoking?
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

SDC

Post by SDC »

Superbone wrote:
you need to ask mcdo that question first.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

SDC wrote:
Superbone wrote:
you need to ask mcdo that question first.
C'mon, SDC. You are the only Suns fan that wants McDonough out of the Suns front office. You might want to ask yourself why that is. We had the biggest turnaround of any team in the league. Or maybe you're just trolling.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shabazz wrote:I think you're a little too high on Olynyk. He's 2.5 years older than Len and while he has good offensive upside, he's likely always going to be a defensive negative.

When Olynyk was Len's age he was averaging 5.8 ppg for Gonzaga.
We'll see.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

SDC wrote:the other teams know the suns have too many picks and have to sell them or trade them if mcdo wants to build on this season's success. and no, the lottery teams arent selling their high picks for the 14th or 25th pick or any combination mcdo can come up with.

How do we know the lottery teams aren't going to want to move down if their perceived "guy" isn't there? You're just guessing on that.

And why are you assuming the suns have "too many picks"? The Rockets had 3 1sts a few years ago and used them all.

All I know is I'd be stunned if Phoenix just sold off a pick. It would go against what McD has been saying. Maybe they trade 26 for a future 1st or maybe they package two of there picks w/a player and move up. One thing is for sure, having this many options is a position of power.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Going into next year, i think we have 9 guys under contract. if we keep Ish Smith, that's 10. So we could draft 3 guys and sign a vet or 2 and be ok. I'd be cautious about taking 3 rookies and putting them on this team. They'd have to be the right rooks, maybe 2 solid college vets and a less polished, high ceiling type like Archie was last year. We're young and have some real good vets with Frye, Dragic and Tucker (if he stays). But i wouldn't take 3 19 year olds either. I could see us packaging some picks for a future pick or maybe sending a guy like Green off with a pick to move up and take his replacement.