Phoenix Suns 2014: Offseason Moves

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Phoenix Suns 2014: Offseason Moves

Post by ShelC »

Matching a Bledsoe is a must unless he pulls a JJ and says he doesn't want to be here. Even then we can still match and probably would, unless McD is savvy enough to pull a trade off.

I don't think I can see using all three picks (or maybe im just not used to us using our picks). We have 9 guys under contract, we're still a relatively young team. If we do use them, we should take polished, veteran types that contribute on or off the court. Maybe take a gamble with one, or trade 2 or all 3 for a higher pick?

I love what Tucker brings Guys like him are worth their weight in gold on a successful team. The Tony Allens, DeShawn Stevensons that can defend on the perimeter, knock down the 3, hustle their asses of. Every contending team has one. That said, i wouldn't match a deal worth more than 2.5-3mil a year.

Still not sure what to make of the Morris brothers but at least you've got another year to decide on them.

I think we'd be dumb not to pick up Ish Smith's option.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

If we strike out in free agency and are determined to take another big step forward next season, here's a trade I would consider: Miles Plumlee for Tyson Chandler.

(with a few caveats, such as a big step forward from Len in the Summer, and Chandler entering the season healthy and without a giant fork in his back)

TOO

Post by TOO »

Ehhhh... Chandler has A LOT of Miles on him. Len would have to show he's ready for 20+ min a night.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shabazz wrote:If we strike out in free agency and are determined to take another big step forward next season, here's a trade I would consider: Miles Plumlee for Tyson Chandler.

(with a few caveats, such as a big step forward from Len in the Summer, and Chandler entering the season healthy and without a giant fork in his back)
I'd consider that.

I've also been considering sending Frye and Plumlee to Houston for Omer Asik.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

TOO

Post by TOO »

How much of Asik's 15m next year actually counts against the cap?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Ehhhh... Chandler has A LOT of Miles on him. Len would have to show he's ready for 20+ min a night.
I'm counting on it.

Next year is also the last on Chandler's deal, so it wouldn't be the biggest risk.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:How much of Asik's 15m next year actually counts against the cap?
$8M of it.

SDC

Post by SDC »

INFORMER wrote:
Shabazz wrote:If we strike out in free agency and are determined to take another big step forward next season, here's a trade I would consider: Miles Plumlee for Tyson Chandler.

I'd consider that.

I've also been considering sending Frye and Plumlee to Houston for Omer Asik.
frye will be a good fit for houston.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Ehhhh... Chandler has A LOT of Miles on him.
Hey, what two consenting men do in their spare time is their business!

carey

Post by carey »

Shabazz wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:How much of Asik's 15m next year actually counts against the cap?
$8M of it.
Rimshot. #Wait #What?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

Mori Chu wrote:
Jason Collins disagrees.

Too soon?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'm a big Tyson Chandler fan and a lot of what he brings doesn't show up on paper. If we didn't have Frye or Dragic or Tucker, I'd be more inclined to bring him in because of his hard work and leadership ability. He's legit and can help a young team with his presence on and off the court. But because we have those veterans who come to work everyday and lead, I don't know that bringing in Tyson is as necessary. And i'd hate to have to give up a young big like Plums or draft picks for a guy who we really don't need at this point. If it were the Morris Bros, Gerald Green and a pick, I'd say yes. But short of giving up Dragic and/or Frye in that deal, I don't see how we make the salaries work.

TOO

Post by TOO »

My thing with Chandler is that he still leaves us with no post offense, hes an upgrade from Plumlee, but really with another year of wear and tear how much of an actual upgrade is he?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

ShelC wrote: If it were the Morris Bros, Gerald Green and a pick
That's a ton to give up, Shel. I wouldn't have any interest in a deal like that.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'm still not sold on the Morris bros long term and I think NY could have interest in them because of their potential in the triangle. Is Green a long term fit here or could we draft his replacement this year with one of the picks?

I think Chandler is that much of a difference maker defensively, and putting him in PnR situations with guys like Bledsoe and Dragic? Nothing but lobs over the top all day.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

ShelC wrote:I'm still not sold on the Morris bros long term
Neither am I. But giving New York a potential sixth man of the year, a draft pick, and a difference maker like Green for an aging Tyson Chandler is highway robbery.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
Jason Collins disagrees.

Too soon?
Nah. I was giong to say exactly the same, included the too soon ehheeh.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

INFORMER wrote:
ShelC wrote:I'm still not sold on the Morris bros long term
Neither am I. But giving New York a potential sixth man of the year, a draft pick, and a difference maker like Green for an aging Tyson Chandler is highway robbery.
Indeed. And actually it's TWO sixth man of the year candidates. And a pick on top of that, for Chandler with his injury history, age and as an expiring contract? Just one of those pieces and one more minor asset and that's it.

Nevertheless, I believe he'd help us a ton, and could make a nice combo with Miles. Having one rim protector at all times would be a nice sight.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

ShelC wrote:I'm a big Tyson Chandler fan and a lot of what he brings doesn't show up on paper. If we didn't have Frye or Dragic or Tucker, I'd be more inclined to bring him in because of his hard work and leadership ability. He's legit and can help a young team with his presence on and off the court. But because we have those veterans who come to work everyday and lead, I don't know that bringing in Tyson is as necessary. And i'd hate to have to give up a young big like Plums or draft picks for a guy who we really don't need at this point. If it were the Morris Bros, Gerald Green and a pick, I'd say yes. But short of giving up Dragic and/or Frye in that deal, I don't see how we make the salaries work.
I love the things Chandler brings off the court. I happen to think he's one of the best teammates in the league. However, I'd want him for what he brings on it, namely defense, defensive rebounding and a really good PNR finisher.

What you're proposing giving up is much more than giving up just Plumlee (which would work cap-wise since we'd just be slotting Chandler into our cap space).

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:My thing with Chandler is that he still leaves us with no post offense, hes an upgrade from Plumlee, but really with another year of wear and tear how much of an actual upgrade is he?
I don't think people realize how truly awful Miles Plumlee is in the post. He has some nice footwork and moves, but as a finisher - blech. Here are the numbers (per synergy):

218 post ups, .63 PPP (155th in the league), 31.9% FG, turned it over 10.6% of the time.

Gahh!