Phoenix Suns 2013-2014: Year In Review

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: Phoenix Suns 2013-2014: Year In Review

Post by INFORMER »

Why are you in such a hurry to deal Green?
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I don't get it either. He is one of the biggest bargains out there at $3.5M. He has become a really valuable asset and there are many guys on the roster I'd do without before him.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

I wouldn't just give Green away, but I agree with Shel I certainly wouldn't count him as an untouchable and if he needs to be involved to move up and snag a better prospect I wouldn't cry. I like him at his contract, but he's a UFA after next yr so its not like he'll be at that contract for much longer.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

carey

Post by carey »

Sunsfan4life wrote:I wouldn't just give Green away, but I agree with Shel I certainly wouldn't count him as an untouchable and if he needs to be involved to move up and snag a better prospect I wouldn't cry. I like him at his contract, but he's a UFA after next yr so its not like he'll be at that contract for much longer.
So is Goran Dragic and neither will he.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I like Green a lot. I just think he's a case where you sell high because he's going to get more than he's worth on the FA market after another strong year with us. So package him now with a lower pick to move up if you can, and draft a guy to take his place.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Dragic has a lot more value then Green. Atleast IMO, the two aren't comparable. Dragic can be a leading man, Green is a complimentary Piece. I don't mean for this to be tearing Gerald Green apart because he exceeded my expectations and deserves to be in the conversation if not winner of the MIP, but the two aren't comparable to me.

Edit: yea had I just read above me I could of just said I agree 100% with what Shel said haha.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

ShelC wrote:I like Green a lot. I just think he's a case where you sell high because he's going to get more than he's worth on the FA market after another strong year with us. So package him now with a lower pick to move up if you can, and draft a guy to take his place.
Unless Green is going to get into the top 7, you're essentially throwing him away. Talent from 9-20 is essentially the same, so unless you're getting a top 7 pick, Green shouldn't be used to move up.

Green's shot-making ability doesn't grow on trees, so to think you're just going to draft his replacement is notion not grounded in reality. what make Green unique is that he can catch and shoot and score off the dribble, and with his ridiculous vertical he becomes nearly indefensible when he's on. With all that said, he does run hot and cold, can struggle on D, and has low basketball IQ. Hence why he's just a role player. But he's a valuable one.

I also don't think his impending free agency is reason to cash him out. He's too valuable of a player at too good of a price to throw having another season of him.

I also wouldn't be quick to dismiss the possibility that he can be retained on a reasonable deal. GMs have seen him bounce around the league, and they saw what happen when Indiana rewarded him with substantial money after he broke out in New Jersey/Brooklyn. I don't think they'll be lined up to give him a big deal. The Clippers have been able to retain Jamal Crawford (a better version of Gerald Green) for reasonable money, so I don't think it's out of the question that the Suns will be able to with Green.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Well yea, top 7 or 8(depending on how high you are on Smart), anything else would be just trading him to trade him. He'd have to be packaged with picks, but him or Kieff are probably the two most likely candidates. I probably wouldn't move up for anyone other then the top 8 regardless.

If Archie Goodwin continues his upward trajectory that could also influence whether Green is retained next off-season.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
ShelC wrote:I like Green a lot. I just think he's a case where you sell high because he's going to get more than he's worth on the FA market after another strong year with us. So package him now with a lower pick to move up if you can, and draft a guy to take his place.
Unless Green is going to get into the top 7, you're essentially throwing him away. Talent from 9-20 is essentially the same, so unless you're getting a top 7 pick, Green shouldn't be used to move up.

Green's shot-making ability doesn't grow on trees, so to think you're just going to draft his replacement is notion not grounded in reality. what make Green unique is that he can catch and shoot and score off the dribble, and with his ridiculous vertical he becomes nearly indefensible when he's on. With all that said, he does run hot and cold, can struggle on D, and has low basketball IQ. Hence why he's just a role player. But he's a valuable one.

I also don't think his impending free agency is reason to cash him out. He's too valuable of a player at too good of a price to throw having another season of him.

I also wouldn't be quick to dismiss the possibility that he can be retained on a reasonable deal. GMs have seen him bounce around the league, and they saw what happen when Indiana rewarded him with substantial money after he broke out in New Jersey/Brooklyn. I don't think they'll be lined up to give him a big deal. The Clippers have been able to retain Jamal Crawford (a better version of Gerald Green) for reasonable money, so I don't think it's out of the question that the Suns will be able to with Green.
Great post, INF, and I'm glad that even you, lover of the draft, knows that you can't easily replace what Green brings to the table. Yeah, maybe you deal him if you can get into the top seven but only then.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

We'll have to agree to disagree. Doesn't seem like i'll convince you, but i do want to state that i'm not anti-Gerald Green or just looking to get rid of him. He's a guy I wanted on those Nash-led teams because of his length and athleticism. He's a guy i'd love to see us keep for the next 3-4 years with Dragic, Bleds, Plumlee, Goodwin, Frye.

I just feel like i've seen it too many times where guys on a cheap deal finally find a system that shows off what they can do, and they leave for big(ger) money. All it takes is one GM to say, "Green's finally put it together, he can plug the whole at SF and help us improve" and before you know it, he's a near MLE guy and we have to replace him.

And I've also long been a believer that 6-8 swingmen are a dime a dozen. They can be found, in different variations, in the draft every single year. We may not find Gerald Green, but we can find as good a 3pt shooter, or a better overall basketball player, or a better defender or maybe a combo of all those skills.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

I'd say that the nearest equivalent to GG I've seen over the years is Rex the Wonder Dog Chapman. Jack up what would be off-balance, low-percentage 3-pointers -- and actually be a streaky shooter that makes bunches (with dry streaks in between). Put that together with driving ability and you've got a game changer.

Play him as the third guard off the bench and see if he's hot. If he is -- leave him in there and he'll win you a game or two, maybe even a playoff series. If not -- sit him.

How much is a player like that worth? He's certainly worth more than the typical 2-3 shooter that cannot drive or finish. He's still young enough where he's got a few years. I'd see if he gets over an MLE contract and go from there.

Now, if Archie's looking really good, it may be time to move Green to SF where he can play pretty much the same role with his size and athleticism.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

TOO

Post by TOO »

Greens value is on par with JR Smith. When he's on, watchout, when he's not, ugh. Neither play D or have a high basketball IQ.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

JR Smith's shot selection is much worse than Green's. And JR brings all kinds of lockerroom and off-the-court issues as well.

TOO

Post by TOO »

I'm not talking off the court stuff, and I don't think Green's shot selection is anything to write home about either. You live with it because when it goes in, its ok. Just like JR Smith.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I watched Green's exit interview. At least he knows he needs to work on his ball handling this off-season.

"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

That was nice to hear, all the athletic ability and yet I cringe when he has to cdribble more than 3 seconds.

Big Jake Little Jake

Post by Big Jake Little Jake »

Sometimes I wonder if his lack of ball handling is impaired because of his missing finger.

But then again, he could just dribble more with his left hand, so maybe it's no excuse.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

It'd be nice for him to work on his dribbling, but really what I wish he did more was to pass the freaking ball when he's not open. If he thinks he's a better dribbler, he will try to go 1-on-1 (or 1-on-5) more, which may actually hurt his game.

Also, I did not know he had a stubby finger:

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I didn't know that either.

"Be Legendary."