Phoenix Suns 2014: Offseason Moves

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
SwingMan

Re: Phoenix Suns 2014: Offseason Moves

Post by SwingMan »

ShelC wrote:I know they came up big for us and contributed, but what's their real upside and potential? I'm sure they can be OK as bench guys, but then Frye has to go. I don't care either way, i just feel like they're indispensable.
That's been my point & contention all along - Frye needs gone in a bad, bad way. ;)

And Markieff's starting to develop a post game - he's no real banger and his go-to is a 12-15 foot fadeaway, but he's mixing it up a hell of a lot more than his first 2 years, hence the skyrocket in his efficiency. And, in turn, that's where Marcus feeds off of.

With McDonough's intentions clear on keeping Tucker (and Bledsoe), the frontcourt priority is clear - jettison Frye.

Can't wait for SL - Len's already declared he's in Phoenix for the entire off-season & I'm anxious to see how he progresses.

Big Jake Little Jake

Post by Big Jake Little Jake »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:I think Markieff still has legitimate upside as a starter. I could see 18/8/3 outta him as a starter next year if we go that route. He'll never be a defensive force, but he can shoot it, post it, pass it, and even put it on the floor some offensively. He's only 24. Green gets more love than this guy, and I dont get it at all. At worst Kieff has developed in to a very good bench 4.
I think the thing that keeps Markieff from getting a lot of love is because he doesn't have that one elite skill. Green is an athletic freak who can get his shot off anytime. Sure, he runs hot and cold, but you know his true value to the team. Markieff's true value is a little more muddy. He's just kinda pretty good at everything.

I think this year his post game took a tremendous step forward, but he'll never be dominant in that area because he's just a little too undersized. I think he's a fantastic bench 4. He can abuse mismatches in the post against smaller guys, or blow past the big stiffs. But in the starting lineup I think his advantages swing the other way against the better skilled opponents.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Ring_Wanted wrote:a lot will depend on what Frye does with his option. If he took a discount in exchange for long term security, I'd make him a keeper, in the same mold Nick Collison and the Thunder, but if he takes his $6.8M he is a trading chip and his status on the Suns becomes much more precarious.
ShelC wrote:I also love Plumlee and wouldn't want to see him pushed aside. I don't know if he's a starter, but he could be because he hustles, boards and runs the floor. And there's still some room for improvement. With the right 4, he could be a starting 5 for sure IMO. I'd take him over Hawes for sure. I just like his skillset more.
Miles is another guy who dropped a lot after January, but I was very pleased with what I saw until then. He really shined protecting the rim and moving around on offense, and his fatigue was a key reason as to why our defense was so poor the second half of the season.

Considering that he makes peanuts as a #26 pick, I'd invest heavily on developing him instead of looking for a substitute like Henson.
RW, Shel -- agreed on all of these points.

First, Plum deserves to be developed. Anyone who says otherwise was sleeping through the first half of the season.

Second, I agree that there's a massive logjam at PF with Frye and the Morri. That being said, Frye's just come out and said that he's willing to take a cheaper, longer-term contract. The question is whether he's asking for 4 million a year or 2.5 million. If he's willing to provide a home town discount, I think that it's clear that the Suns should keep him around, getting playing time only when he's hot.

If the Suns were to be trading for an upgrade at the 4, the Morri would surely go the other way in return. The only real upgrade to be made, however, seems to be Kevin Love or Chris Bosh.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Big Jake Little Jake wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:I think Markieff still has legitimate upside as a starter. I could see 18/8/3 outta him as a starter next year if we go that route. He'll never be a defensive force, but he can shoot it, post it, pass it, and even put it on the floor some offensively. He's only 24. Green gets more love than this guy, and I dont get it at all. At worst Kieff has developed in to a very good bench 4.
I think the thing that keeps Markieff from getting a lot of love is because he doesn't have that one elite skill. Green is an athletic freak who can get his shot off anytime. Sure, he runs hot and cold, but you know his true value to the team. Markieff's true value is a little more muddy. He's just kinda pretty good at everything.

I think this year his post game took a tremendous step forward, but he'll never be dominant in that area because he's just a little too undersized. I think he's a fantastic bench 4. He can abuse mismatches in the post against smaller guys, or blow past the big stiffs. But in the starting lineup I think his advantages swing the other way against the better skilled opponents.
I do LOVE Markieff as a 6th man type player, but I'm not sure whether he'd ever really be a starter on a regular basis for a contender. I agree that he doesn't have that single elite skill (although that 12-foot fadeaway is starting to get there), but moreover, I think that he'd just be too exposed defensively as a starter. There's definitely some upside there, probably not too much though.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Just for fun, Markieff is younger than Plumlee. However, Plumlee needs more time to develop, Markieff has supposedly peaked, weird.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

The only real upgrade to be made, however, seems to be Kevin Love or Chris Bosh.

That's been my thinking as well. Bosh keeps coming to mind for some reason and I keep going back and forth on him.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

You are completely right BJLJ. I believe that specialization is a better way to achieve efficiency in the NBA, and if you are a role player, you better be efficient.

Kieff would be a superstar in Europe, but in the NBA he is a good scoring option off bench. That's a role that you can easily cover, at least in theory.

Add to that the fact that he is indeed quite hollow on D, and that he is not particularly athletic, although he is strong and fierce.

But we all know what he is and isn't at this point. Now, if I felt he can actually add new dimensions to his game (above all, again, defense)...

Big Jake Little Jake

Post by Big Jake Little Jake »

ShelC wrote:The only real upgrade to be made, however, seems to be Kevin Love or Chris Bosh.

That's been my thinking as well. Bosh keeps coming to mind for some reason and I keep going back and forth on him.
I think Bosh's skills are the perfect PF for this group of players. However, I don't think Bosh the player is the right move for the franchise (if he were even available, which I kinda doubt.)

I would assume if Bosh were to leave Miami, he would want to be "the man." Prove to everyone he can lead a team. We don't need that kind of guy here right now. He'd need to basically reprise his role in Miami, which I feel he wouldn't or else why would he even leave?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I actually think we need that go-to frontcourt guy for some reliable halfcourt offense. He can run the floor, finish in transition, pass from up high. I think playing in Miami toughened him up a bit, gave him much needed experience and grit. He could be that veteran to lead the younger group. My only concern would be him thinking he's better than he really is and trying to do too much or trying too hard to be the man.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

ShelC wrote:I actually think we need that go-to frontcourt guy for some reliable halfcourt offense. He can run the floor, finish in transition, pass from up high. I think playing in Miami toughened him up a bit, gave him much needed experience and grit. He could be that veteran to lead the younger group. My only concern would be him thinking he's better than he really is and trying to do too much or trying too hard to be the man.

What do you offer Bosh? Is he still a max guy in your eyes?
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

carey

Post by carey »

Sunsfan4life wrote:What do you offer Bosh? Is he still a max guy in your eyes?
Yes. What he's worth (about what he is currently making) and what he would get on the open market is a bit different (18/19M per).
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'd try to sell him on being the man here, coming into a good situation where he can win more and try to get him starting at 15.

SDC

Post by SDC »

SwingMan wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
SwingMan wrote: What about Len - or have you factored in his jettisoning already? If you're going to bring up his ankles, there's been absolutely no reports the last half of the season about them or any adverse affects he may be experiencing - only that he's still adjusting to the speed of the NBA game and needs to stick around this summer in part to make up for the lost SL/training camp that he missed last year to do so. He and Goodwin both made strides in the limited run they got this season - are you willing to sacrifice those two for retreads who've long ago hit their respective ceilings?
I don't see any reason to move Len. I don't think that would accomplish anything. He's worth developing. But I don't see him starting or giving the Suns 30 mpg next season. I subscribe to Shabazz's train of thought to try to upgrade the 5 spot and hope Len progresses to the point to be a reliable reserve playing 18 mpg or so.

And who are the retreads? Henson and Hawes? How is John Henson a retread? And what do Hawes/Henson have to do with Goodwin?
It's about crowding rookies who need run to develop - plain and simple.

And retreads are not entirely >28 years of age - see Blair, DeJuan. Get the drift?
i'd use alex len to pry kevin love or cousins.

SDC

Post by SDC »

the suns should consider signing gasol to a one year deal worth 10-12 mil if they are having difficulties trading for a franchise player.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Is Pau Gasol related to you or something?

Captain Marv-el

Post by Captain Marv-el »

Just make sure you keep Channing, or you wont like fans that much
$HAϟAM

Hiphop Family Treeϟ Roots

SDC

Post by SDC »

instead of love, monroe or chandler, why not try to reacquire gortat ?

TOO

Post by TOO »

Seriously? :roll:

SDC

Post by SDC »

if you can get kevin love, good. all i know is that we need one more big man.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Gortat doesn't move the needle enough to justify his contract he'll want and cut into Plumlee and Lens PT. Not worth it.