Suns News: The Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Suns News: The Offseason

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Shabazz wrote:I have a man crush on Archie.
In2ition wrote: I really like Archie too. I think he can be a star.
Superbone wrote: I see some Kobe in him.
SwingMan wrote: Count me in the Archie Goodwin fan club - had no idea he'd be as effective as he was in the limited run that he's gotten.
Interesting.
Much better response than "Really?" :P
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

INFORMER wrote:
Shabazz wrote:I have a man crush on Archie.
In2ition wrote: I really like Archie too. I think he can be a star.
Superbone wrote: I see some Kobe in him.
SwingMan wrote: Count me in the Archie Goodwin fan club - had no idea he'd be as effective as he was in the limited run that he's gotten.
Interesting.
Would you mind expanding a bit on that, INF?

TOO

Post by TOO »

Thats code for INF would trade him for future 1sts. ;)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Thats code for INF would trade him for future 1sts. ;)
I don't think INF needs any codes for that.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

SDC wrote:we need one more big man.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... owing.html
Shouldn't have traded Gortat. He's a beast. We've made a ton of smart moves, but that one will haunt me for awhile.

We should be in the playoffs right now.

JeffreyLee

Post by JeffreyLee »

Phoenix219 wrote:

Shouldn't have traded Gortat. He's a beast. We've made a ton of smart moves, but that one will haunt me for awhile.

Im fine with the trade, we get another pick and a younger team. I still like the Polish Hammer though.
You sold me two quier giraffes

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Woah, Kobe? Archie has an outstanding first step, but I'll be happy if he ever produces seasons like Barbosa's during his 6th man days.

And Gortat needed to be gone. He is the kind of player who needs winning and being a big part of it to give his all and not complain. Everybody won with his trade.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Woah, Kobe? Archie has an outstanding first step, but I'll be happy if he ever produces seasons like Barbosa's during his 6th man days.
IMHO, Archie and young Barbosa are completely different types of players. Barbosa was incredibly quick after he got a bit of momentum and could consequently penetrate at will -- but remained a relatively weak finisher throughout most of his career. In contrast, Archie penetrates, hangs in the air, and figures out how to finish -- much like the Black Mamba. If he can do what he can without a jumper, imagine what he can do with a bit more space...

Edit: I would be happy if Archie produced like Barbosa during his heyday. Indeed, I thought that Barbosa could average 20 if he got a chance to start. That being said, I don't think that it's unreasonable to have even higher expectations for a 27-year old Archie, especially since he's been a 2-way player so far.

TOO

Post by TOO »

I don't see Kobe, I'd be happy if he was Eddie Jones.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

With Archie I feel getting stronger is as important as developing a shot and getting rid of that shake he does before releasing. He gets to the rim but once there he has a lot of trouble taking contact if defenders are not too out of position, although there have been game where he's done a great job and seems to have improved towards the end of the season, if not by huge margins.

His ballhandling is lauded but I don't see it so clearly. Other than penetrating he usually just dumps the ball to a teammate, his bounce is too high and in general he is very nervous and shaky.

Since he is the second youngest player in the league he obviously gets props for whatever production or flashes he shows, and the potential is there, but he is very very raw. Maybe even more than rookie Barbosa.

Barbosa's game was indeed different, but their roles could be similar. Seconadry ballhandler who takes it to the rim and finishes in transition. Hopefully Archie gets a shot as accurate as Barbosa's. And of course more focus on defense and more contributions all around, which is something I could totally see happening as he is really active and hustles a lot.

I wonder where he'd be drafted in 2014, assuming his second year in college wouldn't have been significantly better or worse, maybe just some more volume.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:I don't see Kobe, I'd be happy if he was Eddie Jones.
I'd be delighted if he reached that level. His full season in Charlotte was brutal.

carey

Post by carey »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
I'd be delighted if he reached that level. His full season in Charlotte was brutal.
?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

sunset rubdown

Post by sunset rubdown »

carey wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
?
Eddie Jones was playing for the Hornets in 99/00 and that was his best (statisticaly) season ever.

sunset rubdown

Post by sunset rubdown »

Ring_Wanted wrote:I wonder where he'd be drafted in 2014, assuming his second year in college wouldn't have been significantly better or worse, maybe just some more volume.
I believe he would be right there in the mix with Gary Harris, Rodney Hood, James Young and Zach LaVine = mid first.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

He wears the same size shoe that Shaquille O'Neal?

Ok, that's all I needed to know!!!

Boy, this featuring articles can be so foolish sometimes.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Unlike many giants, this one looks well built at least.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Phoenix219 wrote:

We remember a very diferent Gortat it seems.

To reach the playoffs, we could have swapped Okafor's contract for Gasol (minus his fake vertigo) and at the very least, still got the same results that Gortat would have net us, but still with an adtional first rounder in our pocket.

The FO choose not to use the Okafor trade chip, and therefore that trade is closed as Gortat for a Pick, but it could have been a two step trade with better results. I hope this decision was made based on the offers out there, and not because that BS "hey, this contract comes with great savings attached to it" that we kept hearing as the tradeline was getting closer.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

There were two different Gortats. 2011-12 was a very nice two way player. 2012-13 Gortat lacked toughnes and motivation.

About the Lakers, all I was hearing was how trading Indiana's pick was not a good move. Nobody knows if LAL would have settled for that or if they wanted more in return.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

There seem to be two different .net crowds

The ones who want to win and advance as far as possible every year even if it means sacrificing assets for the future and the ones who will sacrifice a few wins if it puts us in a better position for the future....It's interesting to see the contrasting takes.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

The future and winning now have one thing in common. Both can be just a mirage if you don't have the right pieces to pursue either.

The Suns have found Goran Dragic, Eric Bledsoe and a bunch of role players. In exchange they are out of the Wiggins-Parker-etc sweepstakes barring a miracle (while the pick gained with all of last season awfulness is a question mark).

That means they won't be getting one of the next generation big time stars, unless you can get a steal in the draft, but I can't plan relying on such contingency. Besides, the 'core' is not made of teenagers either.

In my opinion everything points towards a win now mode. The current players, the cap space/flexibility, the relatively modest assets we have gathered. I've always thought our assets are quantity but not so much quality, with the possible (but not assuerd) exception of the Lakers pick.

Of course, 'win now' needs a lot of qualification. You don't start dumping picks and handling out MLE contracts looking to fix an specific need, etc, but that would be my mindset going forward.