Suns News: Week of 4/14-4/20

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Shabazz

Re: Suns News: Week of 4/14-4/20

Post by Shabazz »

I'd love Horford, but I don't think Atlanta is in any rush to give him away. They consider him their foundation piece.

SDC

Post by SDC »

carey wrote:
Superbone wrote:
SDC wrote:we need one more big man.
Horford is a big man.
Y'all will figure it out soon. It's in the control panel.
superboner is a big boy. he's can take it.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

SDC wrote:Horford is not a center.
Exactly, he is a 4/5 big man. Center on small lineups, but I would agree with his father, there is no good on him banging full time at the 5.

We could starting him next to Plumlee or Frye, and eventually next to Len. I'm thinking that either Houston or Atlanta would ask for the Morrii, so Plumlee, Frye and Len would be the rest of our big men rotation.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

SDC wrote:
carey wrote:
Superbone wrote:
SDC wrote:we need one more big man.
Horford is a big man.
Y'all will figure it out soon. It's in the control panel.
superboner is a big boy. he's can take it.
We're all big boys. sdc is the yin to my yang.

Why wouldn't I want to see sdc's posts? He provides entertainment value.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I would take Horford, tho his health is a concern. He'd be a great 4 for us. If ATL makes a play for Monroe, he may become available.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shabazz wrote:I'd love Horford, but I don't think Atlanta is in any rush to give him away. They consider him their foundation piece.
Then they're overrating him. Horford isn't a star and he isn't even a great player. He's a really good player that has a bad habit of playing small.

With McDonough looking to throw away picks, if I'm Atlanta I approach the Suns. I'd say give me Plumlee, the Morris Twins, and #14 & #18, maybe Goodwin gets thrown in there.

Danny Ferry though seems more concerned with not sucking than he is building a contender. He's chasing mediocrity. and what's worse is since they took Indiana to seven games, it will likely give Ferry & Co. a false appraisal of how good of a team he has, somewhat similar to the situation with the Suns, and it will lead him to make short-sighted deals thinking they're "not that far away."
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:With McDonough looking to throw away picks, if I'm Atlanta I approach the Suns. I'd say give me Plumlee, the Morris Twins, and #14 & #18, maybe Goodwin gets thrown in there.
You don't just "throw" Kobe in there.

"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

If I'm Danny Ferry, I wouldn't insist on his inclusion, but in reality, it may take Goodwin to get it done.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

INFORMER wrote: Danny Ferry though seems more concerned with not sucking than he is building a contender. He's chasing mediocrity. and what's worse is since they took Indiana to seven games, it will likely give Ferry & Co. a false appraisal of how good of a team he has, somewhat similar to the situation with the Suns, and it will lead him to make short-sighted deals thinking they're "not that far away."
I don't think that's what Ferry's done at all. He's actually done a really good job since he got to ATL managing/clearing their cap and collecting assets. He was on record as saying he didn't care whether his team made the playoffs or not. I don't think the Indiana series will give them a false sense of accomplishment either. Indiana's a train wreck.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

We'll see.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

INFORMER wrote:With McDonough looking to throw away picks, if I'm Atlanta I approach the Suns. I'd say give me Plumlee, the Morris Twins, and #14 & #18, maybe Goodwin gets thrown in there.
Not up to your usual high standards, INF.

First, McDonough is NOT looking to "throw away picks". I know that he's not quite proven in your mind, but at the least give him credit for not being a fool.

Second, I'm not sure that I'd offer the package that you describe for Love, let alone Horford. That's two young but somewhat proven rotation players (Markieff and Plum), a young but somewhat proven journeyman (Marcus) and what amounts to three mid-range picks in a deep draft (including Archie). Any sane GM would laugh and hang up -- and McDonough is most certainly sane if not brilliant.

Third, the phrase "not bring in three rookies" could mean so many things that it's hard to guess. They could be the currency to get a trade done. They could also be used for draft-and-stash on Capela or Saric. So many options here -- let's not get hung up on one thing that the GM said that could be interpreted in so many different ways.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I wish GMs valued that package the way you (and what seems almost every Suns fan) do.

SDC

Post by SDC »

INFORMER wrote:
Shabazz wrote:I'd love Horford, but I don't think Atlanta is in any rush to give him away. They consider him their foundation piece.
Then they're overrating him. Horford isn't a star and he isn't even a great player. He's a really good player that has a bad habit of playing small.

With McDonough looking to throw away picks, if I'm Atlanta I approach the Suns. I'd say give me Plumlee, the Morris Twins, and #14 & #18, maybe Goodwin gets thrown in there.

Danny Ferry though seems more concerned with not sucking than he is building a contender. He's chasing mediocrity. and what's worse is since they took Indiana to seven games, it will likely give Ferry & Co. a false appraisal of how good of a team he has, somewhat similar to the situation with the Suns, and it will lead him to make short-sighted deals thinking they're "not that far away."
atlanta couldnt be more different from the suns.

but the only thing important is what mcdo thinks of the current suns squad: do you build on the success of last year's team, or is it fools gold and the suns should try to sell high the assets if possible or do nothing, maintain status quo, and bring in more young players?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

virtual9mm wrote:
Not up to your usual high standards, INF.

First, McDonough is NOT looking to "throw away picks". I know that he's not quite proven in your mind, but at the least give him credit for not being a fool.
I have to agree. It's not usually INF's style to throw out hyperbole. Not keeping all three picks doesn't mean he's willing to throw them away. He knows their value and will most likely use them accordingly. Keep all three picks? Probably not. Throw them away? Most definitely not.

From all accounts, it sounds like his plan is to try and use one or two of the picks (along with current roster players) to acquire solid talent. It worked pretty well for the Celtics.

"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

SDC wrote:atlanta couldnt be more different from the suns.
In a sense they are quite similar to us, along with the Raptors.

Millsap-Horford-Teague is a decent core, but unless you add one higher caliber player it's hard to envision them going deep in the playoffs.

They also have some nice role players like Korver, a PJ Tucker kind of wing in Demarre Carroll. Pero Antic-Frye. A pure gunner off the bech: Green-Lou Williams. Even one kid who can't get playing time because he is absolutely raw.

They even have a rookie coach too fresh off assistant duties under an all time great.

The Suns play a (not so) different style, are a better team overall, and have more future assets, but the comparison is valid in my opinion.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
SDC wrote:atlanta couldnt be more different from the suns.
In a sense they are quite similar to us, along with the Raptors.

Millsap-Horford-Teague is a decent core, but unless you add one higher caliber player it's hard to envision them going deep in the playoffs.

They also have some nice role players like Korver, a PJ Tucker kind of wing in Demarre Carroll. Pero Antic-Frye. A pure gunner off the bech: Green-Lou Williams. Even one kid who can't get playing time because he is absolutely raw.

They even have a rookie coach too fresh off assistant duties under an all time great.

The Suns play a (not so) different style, are a better team overall, and have more future assets, but the comparison is valid in my opinion.
the suns are actually a good team while atlanta is crap (and they almost beat a top seed team having an identity crisis problem).

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

#Occam.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Shabazz wrote:
INFORMER wrote: Danny Ferry though seems more concerned with not sucking than he is building a contender. He's chasing mediocrity. and what's worse is since they took Indiana to seven games, it will likely give Ferry & Co. a false appraisal of how good of a team he has, somewhat similar to the situation with the Suns, and it will lead him to make short-sighted deals thinking they're "not that far away."
I don't think that's what Ferry's done at all. He's actually done a really good job since he got to ATL managing/clearing their cap and collecting assets. He was on record as saying he didn't care whether his team made the playoffs or not. I don't think the Indiana series will give them a false sense of accomplishment either. Indiana's a train wreck.
Agreed that Ferry has done a nice job retooling the Hawks, but they basically stay put as a low seed playoff team on the east (you even can argue regressing, since they got in with a negative record). And is so easy to lose perspective once you taste some success. Our very own front office was really tempted to make a power play in order to sneak into the playoffs.

I liked that they didn't sucumb to surrender any draft pick for a half year patch rental and a likely first round exit. If we were to overachieve all the way to the playoffs, so be it with the current squad, or whatever the Okafor's expiring contract could have net us. It's a shame that no deal went trough with it, but Expirings had lost their once highly coveted value, I guess there is finally some fiscal discipline trough the league.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Ring_Wanted wrote:#Occam.
occam's butter knife?

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

:P