First Round: Houston Rockets (4) vs. Trail Blazers (5)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Re: First Round: Houston Rockets (4) vs. Trail Blazers (5)

Post by carey »

Lakers are going to do everything they can to get Thibs.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:Lakers are going to do everything they can to get Thibs.
What the Lakers want, Lakers get. Or so it seems.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Thibs? I doubt it. My money is on Messina.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I think Morey likes McHale because Morey has a certain stat-based philosophy and McHale is perfectly fine coaching it. Kind of like Billy Beane and Art Howe.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't think McHale is a great coach. He hasn't figured out how to use Howard and Asik well, either together or apart. And he didn't adjust well to LaMarcus Aldridge going NBA2K god mode on them. But he's not a horrible coach for the players they have. It's not clear that they could get a big upgrade if they fired him, especially with a lot of other high-profile teams such as the Lakers and Knicks also looking for new coaches.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

It's been confirmed that he'll stay for 14-15.

Anyway, I don't know if there is a way to use Howard and Asik well, on offense at least. Morey did the right thing signing DHo, of course, but should have traded Asik inmediately instead of dragging the issue and trying to make it a bidding process.

For starters, because he is fooling nobody as teams are well aware of the contract situation and the on court troubles. Morey probably wanted a ton in return and that's hard to do when you have to pay 15M for an expiring UFA (even if nominally it's 8M against the cap), PLUS sending out a bunch of assets.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

LOL. I heard about that. Great stuff.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

I dislike Howard since he forced his way out of Orlando, and Harden since his ascension to "stardom" that first season in Houston. I have a hard time finding another stars duo that dislikes me more. Ok, I hate the James-Wade tandem, but at least they have two rings together to show for their pompous act.

The blazers deserve this more, and they keep overachieving.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I don't think there is anything overachieving about the Blazers. Their starting 5 is about as complete and talented of a starting 5 in the league.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

They were a bubble playoff team entering the season. I don't think you had them beating a team the caliber of the Rockets and advancing to the second round.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Rockets proved to be soft. They need to get a lot tougher, angrier. They didn't seem to play with any urgency. Blazers had the eye of the tiger.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

ShelC wrote:Rockets proved to be soft. They need to get a lot tougher, angrier. They didn't seem to play with any urgency. Blazers had the eye of the tiger.
Rockets need to work on their perimeter defense and on having better execution in general. I hate what is happening to Harden's game now that he is "the man". He just charges into a crowd and flails and hopes for the foul every time. He is a very talented and athletic player who should be better than that. The Rockets wasted a really good year from Dwight Howard.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Ring_Wanted wrote:They were a bubble playoff team entering the season. I don't think you had them beating a team the caliber of the Rockets and advancing to the second round.
You're talking about preseason projections and expectations. I'm saying they don't have anyone playing over their head. They're not a team of one-hit wonders. Even last season they had one of the most potent five player lineups.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Well, thats on hindsight, nobody predicted this kind of season, just right there with our own Phoenix Suns.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

INFORMER wrote:I don't think there is anything overachieving about the Blazers. Their starting 5 is about as complete and talented of a starting 5 in the league.
Well, thats on hindsight, nobody predicted this kind of season, just right there with our own Phoenix