Suns News: The Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Ring_Wanted

Re: Suns News: The Offseason

Post by Ring_Wanted »

As for contracts, we can afford it as long as we don't spend stupid amounts on replaceable role players.

That's why the likes of Frye, PJ and the Morrii need to receive the right kind of deal or be let go, as much as it may hurt.

Also why you don't get rid of rookie cheap contributors like Miles unless you can't refuse an eventual move.

And above all why you don't make the recurrent mistake of trying to fix specific needs with long full MLE type deals, at the very least until you actually have something tangible in your hands, which we don't at the moment.

SDC

Post by SDC »

Ring_Wanted wrote:As for contracts, we can afford it as long as we don't spend stupid amounts on replaceable role players.

That's why the likes of Frye, PJ and the Morrii need to receive the right kind of deal or be let go, as much as it may hurt.

Also why you don't get rid of rookie cheap contributors like Miles unless you can't refuse an eventual move.

And above all why you don't make the recurrent mistake of trying to fix specific needs with long full MLE type deals, at the very least until you actually have something tangible in your hands, which we don't at the moment.
which other suns players need their contracts extended now aside from bledsoe? can you list them?

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

PJ Tucker, RFA.
Channing Frye, player option 6.8M.
Markieff and Marcus Morris, elegible for post rookie contract extensions.
(Plus the smaller pieces, Ish, Barbosa, Christmas, Randolph, who are either UFA or have unguaranteed min contracts).

Only Tucker is a free agent as of now, but all those players pose questions that will need to be answered sooner or later, and that will have a big effect on our salary cap situation going forward, particularly if the franchise wants to be a player in the 2015 free agency bonanza.

SDC

Post by SDC »

of course you extend pj tucker and pick up markieff and marcus' options. and let's try to keep ish (although i'm willing to replace him with somebody with a better outside shot.)

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

PJ depends on how much he wants/gets from another team. For instance, if it is 5M per, you have to consider letting him go or at least making other sacrifices.

The Morrii's options are already picked. It is their first big boy contracts what could be troublesome. Assuming they are a package, you don't want to pay them more than 8-9M combined. If Kieff alone would come anywhere close to that figure, say 7M per, you are not managing your flexibility well.

And Frye can't be making 5M+ per either, even if he leaves those 6.8M on the table for long term security. 5M is what backup big men get a lot of times, but Frye often does't play like a big man, and his shot comes and goes, so something has to give.

carey

Post by carey »

This isn't necessarily a big story, but I think it's an important one. The Suns have locked up a single affiliation deal with the Bakersfield Jam: http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... e/8870125/
Much like how Reno serves as the Diamondbacks' Triple-A minor-league affiliate, the Suns will start a hybrid affiliation with the D-League's Bakersfield franchise this year.
The Suns will finance and run the basketball operations of the D-League franchise while Bakersfield's ownership will continue handling business operations, community relations and other non-basketball functions.
I hope they start using it like the Rockets use their affiliate. It's such an interesting place to experiment with things. I wonder if the Suns will bring in a new coach or keep the current personnel for now.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

P.s. Anyone notice Cubby found is way to arizonasports.com and has been trolling the comments there?

http://arizonasports.com/41/1730102/Oth ... t-admit-it
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

carey wrote:P.s. Anyone notice Cubby found is way to arizonasports.com and has been trolling the comments there?

What a loser. The Arizona Sports crowd don't understand who they are dealing with as of yet. I haven't seen him post on ST in awhile, he will likely return again if the Spurs get bounced from the playoffs.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

carey wrote:This isn't necessarily a big story, but I think it's an important one. The Suns have locked up a single affiliation deal with the Bakersfield Jam: http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... e/8870125/
Much like how Reno serves as the Diamondbacks' Triple-A minor-league affiliate, the Suns will start a hybrid affiliation with the D-League's Bakersfield franchise this year.
The Suns will finance and run the basketball operations of the D-League franchise while Bakersfield's ownership will continue handling business operations, community relations and other non-basketball functions.
I hope they start using it like the Rockets use their affiliate. It's such an interesting place to experiment with things. I wonder if the Suns will bring in a new coach or keep the current personnel for now.
That's great news, especially with the ton of draft picks we have. And yes, above all they need to implement exactly the same system the Suns have in place, in the mold of what the Rockets do.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Mori Chu wrote:I think he'll get $12m/year, but we'll privately tell Goran that he'll get the same on his next deal.
Tell him he is getting 15M per if in 2015 he opts in for those $7.5M.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

carey wrote:This isn't necessarily a big story, but I think it's an important one. The Suns have locked up a single affiliation deal with the Bakersfield Jam: http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... e/8870125/
Agreed carey, and thanks for posting that.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

iLLmatic wrote:
carey wrote:P.s. Anyone notice Cubby found is way to arizonasports.com and has been trolling the comments there?

What a loser. The Arizona Sports crowd don't understand who they are dealing with as of yet. I haven't seen him post on ST in awhile, he will likely return again if the Spurs get bounced from the playoffs.
He's still on Spurs talk... I don't know why, but I find such humor in his antics. He's getting what he wants, ruffling clueless feathers. I don't care who he trolls, the modern day, toned down Cubby i find completely amusing. Its not the walls of non stop obscenities txt and pictures, just some poking fun. I love watching the Cubby Show. And, I agree 100% with his take on Gortat. We could have cut the garbage anyways, had a great year from Gortat, and stormed into the playoffs. With the new coach and system, we would have seen the return of the Polish Hammer.

Danimal

Post by Danimal »

INFORMER wrote:
Agreed carey, and thanks for posting that.
I agree, I brought this up in the off season moves thread also. I will be quite interested to watch how this unfolds. Looks like we may have to start a Bakersfield thread next season :)

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

TOO

Post by TOO »

Sounds like kids being kids, stupid.

carey

Post by carey »

Of all the NBA arrests I've ever read, this has to be the silliest. Really Arkansas? A 19 year old kid cursing outside a skating rink? How terrifying. Of course he didn't want to be arrested you CAN'T BE ARRESTED FOR THAT.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Another Coro article with more info:

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sp ... k/9046575/
Goodwin has a June 3 district court date regarding the charges. After reports of his arrest surfaced Tuesday, Goodwin tweeted, “Don't assume if you don't know the whole story...”
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:Of all the NBA arrests I've ever read, this has to be the silliest. Really Arkansas? A 19 year old kid cursing outside a skating rink? How terrifying. Of course he didn't want to be arrested you CAN'T BE ARRESTED FOR THAT.
Apparently, you can:
Goodwin was taken into custody but the trooper said Goodwin tried to break away from the trooper's hold during the arrest, according to Sadler. Goodwin then was booked into a Sherwood, Ark., jail.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

It really is one of the most ridiculous things I've seen people be arrested for. I assume it was dont to diffuse a potentially bigger situation. Maybe the officer was doing him a favor? :lol:

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:It really is one of the most ridiculous things I've seen people be arrested for. I assume it was dont to diffuse a potentially bigger situation. Maybe the officer was doing him a favor? :lol:
Only one side has been heard so far - and folks in Arkansas must have some fatally thin skin. :lol: