Around the League: Week 12 1/11-1/17

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Around the League: Week 12 1/11-1/17

Post by carey »

Nationally televised games this week

Monday: None. Watch the NCAAF Championship!
Tuesday: Chicago @ Milwaukee 8:00PM EST NBATv, New Orleans @ Los Angeles Lakers 10:30PM EST NBATv
Wednesday: Indiana @ Boston 8:00PM EST ESPN, Miami @ Los Angeles Clippers 10:30PM EST ESPN
Thursday: Toronto @ Orlando 3:00PM NBATv, Cleveland @ San Antonio 8:00PM EST TNT, Los Angeles Lakers @ Golden State Warriors 10:30PM EST TNT
Friday: Minnesota @ Oklahoma City 7:00PM EST ESPN, Cleveland @ Houston 9:30PM EST ESPN
Saturday: None.
Sunday: None.

NBA News

D.A.'s Morning Tip: http://www.nba.com/2016/news/features/d ... index.html
Flannery's Sunday Shootaround goes in on SVG & the Pistons: http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2016/1/10/1 ... hootaround
NY Times on the state of the Nets: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/11/sport ... r-way.html
This made me laugh. Kevin Love photoshopped himself into a photo of teammates because he was tired of being left out: http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2016/1/9 ... -smith-lol
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Re: Around the League: Week 12 1/11-1/17

Post by carey »

Michael Ryan from the Dan LeBatard show was going off on how bad of a fit Goran is in Miami and how Bumpy Johnson is the better option right now. It's funny because I think every single one of us could have predicted that, simply because Goran doesn't play well with other ball dominant guards. Also, Miami's roster isn't built to maximize Goran's skill set. They play a physical, drag you down into the muck, brand of basketball with few shooters. Bosh seems to be the ideal PF for a Goran led team, but you can't really spread the other guys out and shoot the ball. Would they consider moving him? I don't know. I think Goran has assurances from Riley that he won't be traded. However, I think it would be hilarious if Miami decided to do it and am kind of pulling for it.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

Steph Curry is a wizard.

https://twitter.com/teamziller/status/686893570662387713

Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

How many steps was that?

Without Wade, the Heat would be pretty well suited for Goran. Figure Dragic playing PnR with Bosh popping and Whiteside rolling. Green and Deng can shoot the 3ball, Winslow can slash and defend. But Dragic is relegated to playing off the ball like he was here.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I'm not rooting for Dragic to play badly in Miami. If anything I want to see him get amazing numbers to help teach Sarver and McDo the error of their ways. But I don't think Dragic is going to put up big numbers until Wade goes down with his next major injury du jour.

Indy

Post by Indy »

How many steps was that?
At least 3. And in the NBA, all-star/all-nba guards can take 4 before they call traveling.

carey

Post by carey »

https://twitter.com/BenAxelrod/status/687022581862543360

So.. we pretty much already know how Wall's next contract will go, right?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

Looks like Cleveland just opened up a roster spot:

https://twitter.com/AmicoHoops/status/687022821755584512

Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Nets Strongly Considering Bryan Colangelo For GM:

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/24 ... elo-For-GM

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

That wouldn't be a bad choice for them. He was pretty mediocre in Toronto, but I think that city was a bad fit for his talents because many players don't really want to play in Canada. Having infinite money and the allure of NY/Brooklyn, I think he could do much better.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:That wouldn't be a bad choice for them. He was pretty mediocre in Toronto, but I think that city was a bad fit for his talents because many players don't really want to play in Canada. Having infinite money and the allure of NY/Brooklyn, I think he could do much better.
I actually think he did a really good job in Toronto considering nobody wants to play there. Can you imagine a bad GM there? I honestly think they are the next franchise to move. It is a great city, but most basketball players are not interested in working in Canada, much less paying taxes in Canada.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Indy wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:That wouldn't be a bad choice for them. He was pretty mediocre in Toronto, but I think that city was a bad fit for his talents because many players don't really want to play in Canada. Having infinite money and the allure of NY/Brooklyn, I think he could do much better.
I actually think he did a really good job in Toronto considering nobody wants to play there. Can you imagine a bad GM there? I honestly think they are the next franchise to move. It is a great city, but most basketball players are not interested in working in Canada, much less paying taxes in Canada.
No chance. They're thriving.

Working in your favor - the Canadian dollar is getting slammed, but that's not enough to force the Raps to relocate.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Will the real Canadian please stand up?

:D
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't think the NBA wants to give up on Toronto at all. They gave up quickly on Vancouver and I think they still regret it. Toronto is a huge city with a lot of $$$ to throw around, and they have generally great fans who are loyal to the team. And the NBA still has a lot of general interest in being a more international game. They're not going anywhere.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I agree that they're not going anywhere. They have a rabid fan base. Plus, you can't just piss off an entire country!
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

"They're not even a real country anyway. Blame Canada!"

SDC

Post by SDC »

carey wrote:Michael Ryan from the Dan LeBatard show was going off on how bad of a fit Goran is in Miami and how Bumpy Johnson is the better option right now. It's funny because I think every single one of us could have predicted that, simply because Goran doesn't play well with other ball dominant guards. Also, Miami's roster isn't built to maximize Goran's skill set. They play a physical, drag you down into the muck, brand of basketball with few shooters. Bosh seems to be the ideal PF for a Goran led team, but you can't really spread the other guys out and shoot the ball. Would they consider moving him? I don't know. I think Goran has assurances from Riley that he won't be traded. However, I think it would be hilarious if Miami decided to do it and am kind of pulling for it.
If he gets traded, i assume it wld be to a team that needs a pg and is willing to take his gigantic contract. Which means.... its a blessing in disguise

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Raptors Would Like To Deal Future Pick For Immediate Player

The Toronto Raptors have extra picks forthcoming from the New York Knicks and Milwaukee Bucks, but are unlikely to be able to use all of them since they already have many young players.

The Raptors would like to upgrade at power forward or some help on the wing.

"We already have so many young players," Ujiri said. "And those extra picks over the next two years -- we can't use all those picks. So [a trade] is always something you're looking at."

The Raptors became inadvertent contenders when they were unable to agree upon a Kyle Lowry deal in 2013 shortly after trading away Rudy Gay and are now looking to take their next step towards contention.

"Adam [Silver] has done a great job creating parity," Ujiri said. "I don't know if that will create more deals or less deals, but it seems like less to me."

Markieff Morris, Kenneth Faried, Ryan Anderson, Channing Frye, Terrence Jones, Donatas Motiejunas and Thaddeus Young are some of the players who could be available via trade.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/24 ... ate-Player
Send em Kieff AND Tucker for that Knicks pick since their apparently looking for help at power forward and the wing? They will probably try to dump that Ross contract in the process though and I'm not sure I'm a fan of that contract.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Can't count how many times I have suggested Toronto for Kieff/Tucker trades. Carroll going down only makes it even more fitting. Ross is a problem and we shouldn't take him, although if Chandler's contract is in play I could be open to it depending on the terms of the deal.

Of course, where Kieff makes sense so does Thad Young as well (although he makes 12M+ per, three more seasons), and for what it is worth Masai drafted Faried.

SDC

Post by SDC »

ShelC wrote:How many steps was that?

Without Wade, the Heat would be pretty well suited for Goran. Figure Dragic playing PnR with Bosh popping and Whiteside rolling. Green and Deng can shoot the 3ball, Winslow can slash and defend. But Dragic is relegated to playing off the ball like he was here.
remove wade and miami will play better. even if dragic is playing with the ball,having wade around stagnates the offense since he is not a stretch 2.