2014 NBA Draft

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: 2014 NBA Draft

Post by ShelC »

Draft for talent, trade for need.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Draft for life, trade for pics.

carey

Post by carey »

Superbone wrote:
Sunsfan4life wrote:Ryan seems like the type of guy who will do his homework on everyone even if its a position we already have
I liked this quote:
"The most mistakes are made in the draft when you only look at a certain position," McDonough said.
Which is basically why we have brought in 3 PGs for interviews.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I obviously with the premise, but I'd love to see reactions if McD picks Tyler Ennis with #14.

carey

Post by carey »

Ring_Wanted wrote:I obviously with the premise, but I'd love to see reactions if McD picks Tyler Ennis with #14.
It obviously depends on who else is on the board. I'm not Ennis' biggest fan though.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

They'd be the same reactions we'd have had last year if we drafted MCW. Woulda been a complete WTF moment..

carey

Post by carey »

I'm sure McDonough is going to do everything in his power to move up, but I'm warming up on Stauskas at #14. Still unsure of who we take later in the draft though. Warren, Capela, Payne, McDaniels?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

carey wrote:I'm sure McDonough is going to do everything in his power to move up, but I'm warming up on Stauskas at #14. Still unsure of who we take later in the draft though. Warren, Capela, Payne, McDaniels?
I'm now officially turned away from Payne - he apparently has a lung condition that affects his endurance, to the point where 28mpg might be his peak. Likely less in our system.

I'm all for McDonough moving up to get one of either Vonleh or Gordon - our guard situation is just fine, thank you.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Our G situation is pretty solid, but IF a G is BPA I don't think I'd pass on him, creating a surplus isn't a bad thing. I too would prefer to move up for a PF, but if a Stauskas or Ennis is the pick, I'm not really gonna moan about it.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Our G situation is pretty solid, but IF a G is BPA I don't think I'd pass on him, creating a surplus isn't a bad thing. I too would prefer to move up for a PF, but if a Stauskas or Ennis is the pick, I'm not really gonna moan about it.
Agreed if a guard is BPA - just shouldn't be our primary objective.

I love Ish smith's energy, but if we're in the market for a guard, it needs to be at back-up 1 - which can be found ultra cheap (especially these days) on the open market. Now, if Green is used in a trade, we might need a 2, but I think we're good with going for a cheap FA/Anthony Morrow-type shooter to replace him.

But, if Kevin Love is not in the mix, moving up to grab a 4 needs to be our focus in the draft, IMO.

carey

Post by carey »

I don't think anyone is trading away Randle or Vonleh and I don't like anyone else at PF really.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

carey wrote:I don't think anyone is trading away Randle or Vonleh and I don't like anyone else at PF really.
Not even if Vonleh falls to the Pistons (who need serious guard help) at #8 ?

carey

Post by carey »

I guess we will see.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

I think we can get anywhere we want in the draft using either Bledsoe or Dragic and our like 6 #1's over the next 2 drafts. I'd gladly sacrifice Bledsoe and a pick to get a PF.

carey

Post by carey »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:I think we can get anywhere we want in the draft using either Bledsoe or Dragic and our like 6 #1's over the next 2 drafts. I'd gladly sacrifice Bledsoe and a pick to get a PF.
O.o ok...
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Bledsoe will not be available for trade on draft day, and is highly unlikely that we can get him to agree on a sign and trade where we take away a top 5 pick from the team he is heading to.

sunset rubdown

Post by sunset rubdown »

I am positive we can get one of Randle/Vonleh/Gordon with a package of our picks. One of them is going to slip to 8-10 range, imho.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:I think we can get anywhere we want in the draft using either Bledsoe or Dragic and our like 6 #1's over the next 2 drafts. I'd gladly sacrifice Bledsoe and a pick to get a PF.
Trading Bledsoe at the draft is not allowed by the CBA as he'll be a RFA. If McD wants to move up enough he'll have to be ready to use Dragic, leaving aside complicated sign and trade scenarios once free agency is on.
Edit: Didn't see Aztec's post.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I am thinking more and more that no matter who we select if we use all three picks, it is going to end up in a logjam unless we move somebody.

Supposedly our biggest hole is at PF but you'd need to find somehow who can cut into Kieff, Frye and even Marcus' minutes there. Probably the easiest psition to crack would be SF despite not being our most pressing need.

So what would you do? Do you let PJ go? Trying to move the Morrii, Frye, Green, Miles? Or do you keep everybody and bank on the kids developing enough to overtake the vets in a couple of years?

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Ring_Wanted wrote:I am thinking more and more that no matter who we select if we use all three picks, it is going to end up in a logjam unless we move somebody.

Supposedly our biggest hole is at PF but you'd need to find somehow who can cut into Kieff, Frye and even Marcus' minutes there. Probably the easiest psition to crack would be SF despite not being our most pressing need.

So what would you do? Do you let PJ go? Trying to move the Morrii, Frye, Green, Miles? Or do you keep everybody and bank on the kids developing enough to overtake the vets in a couple of years?
Frye's the reason we need a 4 - badly. There's little doubt who needs their minutes cut, if not outright eliminated and/or traded.

And please, for the dozenth time, folks - don't refer to the Morris twins as if they were some sort of biological fungus. Leave the kitchy crap to BSOTS where it originated.....