Suns News: Week 20 3/7-3/13

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Suns News: Week 20 3/7-3/13

Post by carey »

The Suns avoided setting a franchise record for road losses last week and then won 2 in a row. Craziness.

Last Week's Games

@ Charlotte LOSS 126-92
@ Miami LOSS 108-92
@ Orlando WIN 102-84
@ Memphis WIN 109-100

This Week's Games

Wednesday, March 9th vs. NY Knicks 9:00PM EST
Thursday, March 10th @ Denver 9:00PM EST
Saturday, March 12th @ Golden State 10:30 PM EST

Suns Stories

Suns rookie Devin Booker won't back down: http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... /81422000/
“I have to expect that,” Booker said. “I’m 19, playing in a league full of grown men. I have to have that same chip on my shoulder. Going into the game, I can’t be the kid that’s soft that they take advantage of right away or go at on defense every time. I just have to let my presence be known right when I touch the floor.”
Interesting breakdown of Suns' rotations month-by-month: http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2016/ ... h-by-month
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

DrSublime

Re: Suns News: Week 20 3/7-3/13

Post by DrSublime »

damn you suns. that should have been a 0-4 week.
Booker and Len are playing lights out.
~~~~~

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Love the kid's toughness.
During Sunday’s 109-100 Suns win at Memphis, Booker had more points (27), assists (nine) and opponents testing his fortitude (three – Matt Barnes, Lance Stephenson and Vince Carter) than anyone on the court.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/706945570594623488

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Local PR move. Williams played at North High. His dad is a former Phx. councilman.

He does give the team a low-post scorer, just in case.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

I take it no Anthony Bennett then?
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

dragickingdom

Post by dragickingdom »

Suns officially sign Chase Budinger.

TOO

Post by TOO »

djy2j wrote:I take it no Anthony Bennett then?
Not surprising given he's shown no viable NBA skills.

dragickingdom

Post by dragickingdom »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
I heard he was taking Chinese night classes.

TOO

Post by TOO »

dragickingdom wrote:
From General Tso?

dragickingdom

Post by dragickingdom »

dragickingdom wrote:
From General Tso?
Is it original or extra crispy?

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Watson's interview on 98.7 this week was great. I'm leaning strongly toward bringing him back next season. http://arizonasports.com/player/?a=319732

Indy

Post by Indy »

OE32 wrote:Watson's interview on 98.7 this week was great. I'm leaning strongly toward bringing him back next season. http://arizonasports.com/player/?a=319732
I haven't listened yet, but what decisions of Ryan's have you questioned so far?

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

It's interesting you know I haven't gotten to see many Suns games since he's taken over, but the narrative on Watson seems to be much better then I thought it would be. This reeked of a Porter situation and the losing has continued but it seems people have been fine, even impressed with how Watson has handled the young guys and the things he is saying. I am indifferent and kind of thought/hoped he was just a place holder for an actual coach in the off-season, but I'm curious what has changed some peoples perspective?
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Indy

Post by Indy »

but I'm curious what has changed some peoples perspective?
He says all the right things.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Indy wrote:
OE32 wrote:Watson's interview on 98.7 this week was great. I'm leaning strongly toward bringing him back next season. http://arizonasports.com/player/?a=319732
I haven't listened yet, but what decisions of Ryan's have you questioned so far?
I hated the IT trade - surprisingly, the move that received the most unanimous support when it happened. I questioned the wisdom of the Wright trade, but gave him the (misplaced) benefit of the doubt. The Knight trade always made me queasy, though I understood the rationale. I wondered why we hadn't been able to move Green last season or during training camp when his value was presumably quite high, knowing we weren't going to use him, and knowing that our three guards needed shots. I thought we should have tried to move Keef ASAP once his brother was traded (and maybe we did). I hated our rotations in the first half of both this season and last season, and McD plays a part in that - ultimately, and predictably, more playing time for Marcus didn't increase his value.

That's... about it. As we both know, I am (inf)amously supportive of Ryan McDonough.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Thanks for the run down off the quippy question--trying to do too many things at once today.

What do you think Watson brings to the table as an NBA head coach over other people out there?

EDC

Post by EDC »

Indy wrote:
but I'm curious what has changed some peoples perspective?
He says all the right things.
Watch our offense in tonight's game. Especially the off ball movement and how we are getting open looks. Things are far from perfect but it is like night and day compared to the crap we were running with Hornacek. That and his decision to play through the young guys has been a pleasant surprise.

I would rather have a big name coach but we may not be able to lure one of those here. When they first hired Watson I said if he is our coach at the beginning of next season we were in big trouble. After what I've seen from him it wouldn't be all doom and gloom.

He is far from proven but at least he isn't incompetent. :)

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Indy wrote:Thanks for the run down off the quippy question--trying to do too many things at once today.

What do you think Watson brings to the table as an NBA head coach over other people out there?
Our team has showed heart and grit in recent games, and his interview gives some insight into the process that led to the turnaround over the last two games after the CHA debacle. Most of all, I like that he trusts and encourages the young guys - I got the feeling that Hornacek, by contrast, had an almost pathological attachment to the vets. Would Horny have kept force-feeding Len after the NYK game? I don't know.

As others have said, he seems to know when to call timeouts. I like his overall approach - he already helped us get more in a Keef trade than we should have. Of late, Chandler's looked a lot better, and the insertion of that high-low action between Len and Chandler has a lot to do with it. I really don't know enough about coaching to be able to say whether he understands the X's and O's, but I don't have any cause to complain at this point. But then again, it's early. I liked Ainge, Skiles and Horny early on, only to turn on each of them. In time, everyone hates the coach.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

dragickingdom wrote:
From General Tso?
I got a good belly laugh out of this.