2014 NBA Draft Lottery

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
In2ition

Re: 2014 NBA Draft Lottery

Post by In2ition »

ShelC wrote:Gordon doesn't do much for me. His measureables weren't that impressive. Not that that's the end all be all, but still.
Interesting... What part(s) wasn't/weren't that impressive?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

If you're projecting him as a PF, he's just under 6-9 with just a 6-11 wingspan. 220 is a little light, standing reach under 9 feet. He tested really well athletically but he doesn't have the skillset to be a 3 and maynot have the measureables to bang down low.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Well first off I hate going strictly on measurables, but his vertical was pretty eye poping.

You are describing Shawn Marion a little bit in your post.

I personally love Aaron Gordon and think he has a good shot at being a future all-star in this league if he continues to improve. His skill set is tremendous, but that's the great part about the draft, its all in the eye of the beholder.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Just fyi, Gordon is actually an inch taller than Kenneth Faried when he came out, weighs 5 lbs. less, and has a comparable wingspan.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Personally, I just don't see Gordon as a PF at all. He just doesn't have the post skills or weight to do it. He can probably guard PFs, but he would be giving up a lot of weight. Offensively, he could do well in a pick & roll game, but his outside shot needs a lot of work. It can happen, but I really see him as a SF in the NBA for years and years to come. He really reminds me of Marion, in his defensive versatility his speed in the open court. He struggled with his shot, but his form is not horrible and can be correctable and that's the only skill set that he's struggling with from a SF perspective. I think it would be mistake to force him to become a PF.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I like him as an athletic combo forward and he could probably transition to the 3 and be a Shawn Marion type. But he's not going to be your traditional, low post, scoring PF or your skilled, perimeter shooting SF. Love the athleticsm and feel for the game though.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I don't think anyone envisions him as a back to the basket, low post power forward.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

What people need to do is to keep saying over and over that he is the next Derrick Williams to tank his value so he drops to the Suns.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Gordon at 4 for us would be a huge upgrade - that's not saying all that much seeing as how Frye's nowhere to be found near the paint unless it's by pure accident. I can count on one hand how many times I saw Frye post up this season (saw him connect on just 2 tries, to boot - all season) - with the rest of his intangibles, if Gordon gives us that, we're still a hell of a lot better off.

I think Gordon's the most realistic target for us (someone mentioned Philly at #10?) - unless we swing Vonleh somehow, but I doubt it.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Nobody is drafting Gordon for his offense, they'll pick him for D, hustle, rebounding, and finishing transition. A mini DeAndre Jordan if you will. Would be a good fit for us, especially good if Len pans out. I prefer Vonleh and Randle, but I'd be ok w/Gordon.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

If you draft Aaron Gordon and he turns into Shawn Marion thats a Win.

Thats an All-star. He has the skill set to be a problem for opponents on offense, but it will depend on how much he improves. The Tools are there, it isn't an issue. Saw an interview with Mcdonaugh at the combine who said he isn't worried about Gordon's FT shooting, because he has good mechanics.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

I like Noah Vonaleh alot and I really like Julius Randle as well. IMO Aaron Gordon has the best combination of highest ceiling and lowest floor of the 3. Randle probably has the least potential, but the lowest possibility at being a bust. Vonlaeh may have the highlest ceiling, but biggest possibility as a bust. Although I think Aarons potential is tremendous....he's only 18!!!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

What I like about him is that he will be productive without having to be the #1 or #2 option on a team.