Suns News: The Offseason (2016)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Suns News: The Offseason (2016)

Post by Indy »

LazarusLong wrote:
carey wrote:Len saved his friend from drowning: http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... /83929572/

Len has more moxie and spine than for which I gave him credit.
All I can say is "wow"

If I were his coach, I'd use that to his advantage.
"You saved two people ... apply that focus on the court and you can do anything you want..."
that sounds like something Watson would say to motivate him.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Indy wrote:
LazarusLong wrote:
carey wrote:Len saved his friend from drowning: http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... /83929572/

All I can say is "wow"

"You saved two people ... apply that focus on the court and you can do anything you want..."
After that kind of harrowing experience, who knows? Maybe he won't have so many jitters around the rim.

Indy

Post by Indy »

OE32 wrote:
Indy wrote:
LazarusLong wrote:

All I can say is "wow"

After that kind of harrowing experience, who knows? Maybe he won't have so many jitters around the rim.
I know you keep saying this, but I don't see jitters around the rim. I see a guy that is top heavy, can't jump very high, and therefore can't get his shot up against similar sized guys with ease. When he is open under the rim or going towards the rim, he finishes fine. I think you said he is afraid of landing on someone's foot and hurting his own, but the guy grew up in the Ukraine; I don't think he is scared of hurting his ankle.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
OE32 wrote:
Indy wrote:
LazarusLong wrote:

All I can say is "wow"

I know you keep saying this, but I don't see jitters around the rim. I see a guy that is top heavy, can't jump very high, and therefore can't get his shot up against similar sized guys with ease. When he is open under the rim or going towards the rim, he finishes fine. I think you said he is afraid of landing on someone's foot and hurting his own, but the guy grew up in the Ukraine; I don't think he is scared of hurting his ankle.
I know exactly what OE is saying. The game hasn't slowed down for Len yet. He rushes his post moves and doesn't look comfortable doing them yet.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Superbone wrote:I know exactly what OE is saying. The game hasn't slowed down for Len yet. He rushes his post moves and doesn't look comfortable doing them yet.
I think this puts it pretty succinctly.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:
Superbone wrote:I know exactly what OE is saying. The game hasn't slowed down for Len yet. He rushes his post moves and doesn't look comfortable doing them yet.
I agree with this, but he also is regularly out muscled in the paint, and blocked way more often that a 23 year old 7-1 260 pound guy should.

And I'll let OE speak for himself I guess , but his posts regularly say he is "scared" or "afraid" of jumping in the paint.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Len also tries to make horizontal offensive moves too much, awkwardly stretching his body sideways and making himself easy to knock off balance, when he should just go mostly straight up and use his height and length.

EDC

Post by EDC »

He better have a left hand at the start of next season. :)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

EDC wrote:He better have a left hand at the start of next season. :)
That too! You're going to get your shot blocked a lot more often when you're always using the same hand and moving to the same side. He's got to learn how to mix it up.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Indy wrote:
The Bobster wrote:
I agree with this, but he also is regularly out muscled in the paint, and blocked way more often that a 23 year old 7-1 260 pound guy should.

And I'll let OE speak for himself I guess , but his posts regularly say he is "scared" or "afraid" of jumping in the paint.
Not on offense. I've noticed it mostly on D - never going up for blocks, sticking with standing upright. I guess in part to not pick up fouls, but I think not jumping goes a long way toward explaining the dramatic reduction in blocks this season.

Hard to tell if he's top heavy. He doesn't look very heavy at all to me. And the article about him saving his friend mentions that he has the strongest legs on the team (not heaviest, but still). Believable because of all the leg workouts he's done the last two seasons.

I also don't see how being top heavy would explain why his outside shot is likewise so inconsistent. Yeah - rushing his moves, that's more like it. And we've certainly seen that. Not having confidence, not having a great feel, that's another way to explain it. Like a guy who's almost never in rhythm. In any case, it seems largely psychological to me. Hoping all he needs is time.

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

The thing that bothers me most about Len is he just seems like a pussy most of the time. I don't care about his skills I want him to be aggressive, all of the time. I don't want him as a 3 point shooter or even a mid range threat until he learns to be nasty and take it to the hope strong, all of the time. I hate it when he shoots a mid range jump shot and immediately runs back on defense, even though he knows it to be a miss. Why not aggressively go after the rebound? He is far too robotic for my taste and appears to be just going threw the motions most of the time.

At this point he is really disappointing. Hopefully Watson can help him.

If Len were a free agent, how much would you pay him at this point in time? That decision actually is reality next summer, I think.
This BUD'S for us! - Play fast Play well - Go Suns!

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Doesn't seem that way from his quotes. Do we really want another guy causing issues? Have we not learned out lesson?
Well, if there is any inkling that he's a troublemaker, ship him! Unfortunately, I get the feeling that McD doesn't share my opinion.
If you wait until he is making trouble, it just devalues him more (see Dragic, Keef).
Hey, I don't mind shipping him already. We NEED to feature Booker. However, I still contend that he won't be a trouble maker and I think Watson can keep him reigned in.
Then can you explain his comments?
He was asked a very specific question and pressed for an answer. What is he supposed to say? "I am looking forward to coming off the bench next year and taking a back seat to Devin Booker."

Indy

Post by Indy »

JustWinBaby wrote:The thing that bothers me most about Len is he just seems like a pussy most of the time. I don't care about his skills I want him to be aggressive, all of the time. I don't want him as a 3 point shooter or even a mid range threat until he learns to be nasty and take it to the hope strong, all of the time. I hate it when he shoots a mid range jump shot and immediately runs back on defense, even though he knows it to be a miss. Why not aggressively go after the rebound? He is far too robotic for my taste and appears to be just going threw the motions most of the time.

If Len were a free agent, how much would you pay him at this point in time? That decision actually is reality next summer, I think.

If our Center was running from the three-point line to the hoop to try and grab a rebound instead of preventing a fast break we would all be bitching about it
Last edited by Indy on Fri May 06, 2016 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DrSublime

Re: RE: Re: Suns News: The Offseason (2016)

Post by DrSublime »

Mori Chu wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/nb ... kx50928nwl

They are saying the Lakers (and I guess the league in general) could look at Festus Ezeli for 3/50 or 16'6M per. Turns 27 in october and fairly injury prone (78-46-46 games). If true, we have our first candidate for the annual Jim McIlvaine award. 7 points, 6 rebounds and quality rim protection but under 17mpg.
I think Festus could Ezili make more money than that!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
reminds me of this
~~~~~

Indy

Post by Indy »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Well, if there is any inkling that he's a troublemaker, ship him! Unfortunately, I get the feeling that McD doesn't share my opinion.
If you wait until he is making trouble, it just devalues him more (see Dragic, Keef).
Hey, I don't mind shipping him already. We NEED to feature Booker. However, I still contend that he won't be a trouble maker and I think Watson can keep him reigned in.
Then can you explain his comments?
He was asked a very specific question and pressed for an answer. What is he supposed to say? "I am looking forward to coming off the bench next year and taking a back seat to Devin Booker."
"I'm here to do a job and that job is to do what's best for the team. That's what they pay me to do."

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

Indy wrote:
JustWinBaby wrote:The thing that bothers me most about Len is he just seems like a pussy most of the time. I don't care about his skills I want him to be aggressive, all of the time. I don't want him as a 3 point shooter or even a mid range threat until he learns to be nasty and take it to the hope strong, all of the time. I hate it when he shoots a mid range jump shot and immediately runs back on defense, even though he knows it to be a miss. Why not aggressively go after the rebound? He is far too robotic for my taste and appears to be just going threw the motions most of the time.

If our Center was running from the three-point line to the hoop to try and grab a rebound instead of preventing a fast break we would all be bitching about it
Does that mean you are happy with his play? I am not talking about shots form the freaking three point line. I am talking about mid range jump shots. Len generally plays with little passion in all phases of his game. I just think if he added the aggression I am suggesting he could in fact be a double, double machine easily. He has the size and skills to dominate. Very frustrating, IMO.
This BUD'S for us! - Play fast Play well - Go Suns!

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

JustWinBaby wrote:
Indy wrote:

Does that mean you are happy with his play? I am not talking about shots form the freaking three point line. I am talking about mid range jump shots. Len generally plays with little passion in all phases of his game. I just think if he added the aggression I am suggesting he could in fact be a double, double machine easily. He has the size and skills to dominate. Very frustrating, IMO.
How often has this been the complaint about big men on every level from high up?

Indy

Post by Indy »

JustWinBaby wrote:
Indy wrote:

I think he can play better, so in that case I am not completely happy with his play. But I also weight that he is 22 years old. If he were 26 and playing this way (like Bledsoe), I would assume he is what he is and this is the best he will get. But I still hold out hope that he will get better.

gosuns

Post by gosuns »

Len was just fine this year. He progressed in my opinion. Big Man just need more time to develop. I think he can become a solid starter in this League. I dont see him be becoming an all star. I think he laks the offensive Talent and athletisism for it.

Indy

Post by Indy »

gosuns wrote:Len was just fine this year. He progressed in my opinion. Big Man just need more time to develop. I think he can become a solid starter in this League. I dont see him be becoming an all star. I think he laks the offensive Talent and athletisism for it.
That is where I am too. My hope is that within the next 2 years, he becomes a reliable 4th option on offense, but is a top 10 defensive center in the league. I am not looking for him to lead the league in anything, but should be a top 10 in both rebounding percentage and block percentage (or top 10 in FG% allowed). This year he was 18th in DReb%. Last year he was 5th in Block%. He just needs to put that stuff together and have a consistent role (including a guard rotation that doesn't let everyone walk to the basket).