Around the League: Playoffs

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Re: Around the League: Playoffs

Post by carey »

Zach Lowe Is America's Best Sports Writer: http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sp ... riter.html

A good piece on Zach that illustrates why many of us here think he's the best.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
In2ition wrote:Didn't we already see Howard with D'Antoni in LA?
If the Rockets sign Mike D as their new coach, it's a sign that Howard will not return there for certain. Howard hated playing for D'Antoni. Seems like Howard's current PR tour is an attempt to repair his free agency value so he can go get one more big contract. Glad the Suns have a glut of centers already so that we aren't linked to rumors about Howard.
Were we linked to Chandler?

carey

Post by carey »

https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/status/734979456469602305

Hmm. Wonder if the Celtics feel the same? I'm preparing myself for Murray/Skal or Murray/Qi
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

I'd be curious to see what everyone thinks we should do if bender goes 3. Me personally I'd look to trade it, the next 3 picks are Murray, Dunn, and Hield, none of which make a whole lot of sense for us. Although, I think hield will be good and I've come around a bit on Murray.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

If Bender is not there at 4, trade both 4 and 13 for future unprotected picks(especially next year).
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Anthony Davis isn't on all NBA teams, thus losing $$$.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Hermen wrote:Anthony Davis isn't on all NBA teams, thus losing $$$.
Only one possible solution:
All players on teams that do not have Anthony Davis are put into a lottery.
24 players are chosen out of the lottery.
Each chosen player is dropped off in a remote and enclosed location, where they find weapons and food.
Players murder each other for our entertainment until only one is left.
Winning player gets a contract on a team that employs Anthony Davis.
Eventually, all players are on teams that have Anthony Davis.
Optimum profit distribution achieved.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Do you see this: ?

It's the world's tiniest violin.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
Only one possible solution:
All players on teams that do not have Anthony Davis are put into a lottery.
24 players are chosen out of the lottery.
Each chosen player is dropped off in a remote and enclosed location, where they find weapons and food.
Players murder each other for our entertainment until only one is left.
Winning player gets a contract on a team that employs Anthony Davis.
Eventually, all players are on teams that have Anthony Davis.
Optimum profit distribution achieved.
LOL!

"Be Legendary."

carey

Re: RE: Re: Around the League: Playoffs

Post by carey »

This is going to hurt the Pelicans big time when it comes to keeping AD. I am fairly sure he blames the team being garbage rather than himself for not making any of the All-NBA teams. He averaged 24 & 10. Those are All-NBA stats 9 times out of 10. If they don't make some moves this Summer to get into playoff contention right away he is as good as gone. I can't believe they haven't fired Demps. He's been a trainwreck as a GM.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Prepare to be shocked. I have news so shocking I'm going to post it in my next post, just so you can mentally prepare yourself.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA??

https://twitter.com/azcsports/status/735957464932290560

TOO

Post by TOO »

Who?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

After the recent Green non-suspension, Ball Don't Lie did a piece on the top 8 impactful playoff suspensions. You can guess what number one is. I'll give you two guesses and the first one doesn't count.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball- ... 48083.html

Revisiting the most important playoff suspensions in NBA history

1. Suns and Spurs, 2007

The previous two suspensions may have devastated the championship hopes (Mourning would go on to win one as a reserve in 2006) of two future Hall of Fame centers, but this incident may have cost the best point guard of his generation a title, and it took place in what was easily the most competitive and talent-rich series of the 2007 NBA playoffs. Miami and New York still had Michael Jordan lying in wait following their suspended turns a decade prior, whereas the Suns and Spurs were the real NBA Finals in 2007.

Or, at least, they should have been.

The Suns, fully healthy and with Amar’e Stoudemire back in the fold, were working in the closing minutes of a series-tying Game 4 win in the Western semis when forward Robert Horry sent star Steve Nash crashing into the scorer’s table, ostensibly to send the career 90 percent free-throw shooter to the line to stop the clock:

[youtube][/youtube]

It was a violent move, but the Suns appeared to react tactfully, mindful of the league’s rules and the long road it took to overcome two injury-riddled playoff turns in 2005 and 2006. Upon review, though, it was determined that Stoudemire and big man Boris Diaw briefly left the bench to get a better look at their crumpled point guard, and the league came down with a one-game suspension for each (Horry, a bit player in his penultimate NBA season, was suspended two games for his work).

Suns coach Mike D’Antoni, to his credit, also came down with this classic quote:

“We have the most powerful microscopes and telescopes in the world in Arizona, [and] you could use those instruments and not find a shred of fairness or common sense in that decision. That's kind of how it feels. It really benefits no one. It doesn't benefit us, obviously. It doesn't benefit the Spurs. It doesn't benefit the fans. It doesn't benefit the NBA."

It sure as hell benefitted the Spurs.

Essentially working with a six-man rotation, the Suns lost Game 5 at home with Leandro Barbosa moving into a small lineup. Stoudemire (who notched 38 points, 12 rebounds, four blocks and zero turnovers) and Diaw returned for Game 6, but by then Martyr Ball had taken hold, and the Spurs romped.

San Antonio went on to win eight of nine playoff games in subsequent strikingly dull playoff series’ against Utah and Cleveland, grabbing its fourth title. Phoenix would lose again to the Spurs in the first round in 2008, and miss the playoffs entirely the following season.

It’s arguable that the Knick and Heat suspensions carried more weight, but ask yourself this in summation – what would you rather watch more of, a full-strength Suns/Spurs series, or a full-strength Heat/Knicks series?

"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

Who in their right mind would max out Harrison Barnes? I've been afraid we were going to do it for months (dig up my post 3 months ago.)
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

carey wrote:Who in their right mind would max out Harrison Barnes? I've been afraid we were going to do it for months (dig up my post 3 months ago.)
This is my biggest off-season fear, I'd rather do nothing and stand pat than sign that 5th wheel to big money.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

carey wrote:Who in their right mind would max out Harrison Barnes? I've been afraid we were going to do it for months (dig up my post 3 months ago.)
I am guessing Apocalypse would be happy to max him out.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

No one is going to Max out Barnes. That would be a 4 year 100 million. He's gonna get overpaid, but probably more like 4/80

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Barnes has done nothing in this playoffs to indicate to anyone that he's worth big money. The only case you could possibly make for him, which I don't agree with, is something like: (1) he's still very young and will improve; and (2) maybe Steph and Klay are holding him back and he'll explode into a 20+ ppg scorer if you let him be "the man." Ugh. No thanks.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Harrison Barnes is Marvin Williams.