NBA Draft Prospects Discussion

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: NBA Draft Prospects Discussion

Post by Split T »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:He's not big or powerful like amare, doesn't rebound or defend like Marion, yet draws nonsensical comparisons to both. I will be sad as fuck if we draft him at 4.
It's pretty simple really, amare was a super athletic 4 that could shoot and block shots but struggled on defense and rebounding. Sounds a lot like Chriss to me. Chriss build is somewhere between Amare and Marion.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I realize highlight videos can be misleading and I agree that Chriss has some real weaknesses, but this shows what he's capable of. He moves really well, finishes easily above the rim, has that quick Marion like second jump and has a nice jump shot. Even looks skilled in the post. Anyone we could take at 4 has some issues, I think Chriss has the highest ceiling. With that being said, I wouldn't be disappointed with bender or hield being the pick.

Last edited by Split T on Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
INFORMER wrote:He's a combination of Marvin Williams and Tristan Thompson. Pass.
He's a much better athlete than either of them
You're right, but I think he still is a player in that mold. Throw Stromile Swift, Hakim Warrick, and Brandan Wright in that amalgam too.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Split T

Post by Split T »

INFORMER wrote:
Split T wrote:
INFORMER wrote:He's a combination of Marvin Williams and Tristan Thompson. Pass.
You're right, but I think he still is a player in that mold. Throw Stromile Swift, Hakim Warrick, and Brandan Wright in that amalgam too.
Could be, most other years I'd think he'd be more like a late lottery pick, but this draft is pretty weak at the top. I just can't get that excited about many other prospects. Bender is OK, but I really have no idea how he turns out in the NBA.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:He's not big or powerful like amare, doesn't rebound or defend like Marion, yet draws nonsensical comparisons to both. I will be sad as fuck if we draft him at 4.
It's pretty simple really, amare was a super athletic 4 that could shoot and block shots but struggled on defense and rebounding. Sounds a lot like Chriss to me. Chriss build is somewhere between Amare and Marion.
What are we talking about here with these comps, how those players were like as prospects or how they blossomed as NBA vets?

I just wouldn't throw around the Amare comp so readily. As a prospect, Amare was intriguing because he had a raw power to his game to relentlessly and violently attack the rim. That's not Marquese Chriss. Amare also had an it factor to him. He was ridiculously hungry and craved greatness. Stoudemire was a prospect you see maybe once every 10-15 years.

And again, I don't see the Marion comparison. Are you saying that just because Chriss has a narrow frame, and a quick second jump? I don't think that warrants a Marion comp.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
SDC wrote:
Superbone wrote:Chad Ford said on AZ radio today that the Suns should take Chriss over Bender if both are available at 4. He said Chriss is more of a project but has better upside. Compared him to Amare and Marion.
why does inf hate chriss then?
I don't hate him, I just don't think he's a good prospect.
Looks like you're going to be disappointed with our first pick. You don't have either Chriss or Bender on your list and I'm convinced we're taking one of the two.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Yeah, that's what Ford emphasized. He's a freak athlete. I did watch his video and his shot looks pretty smooth. He started playing basketball late so I can see how he has bust potential but he also has break out potential. I'm intrigued.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

I see a potential Channing Frye with hops. Not excited by that at all. I don't like PF that rebound like SF.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
SDC wrote:
Superbone wrote:Chad Ford said on AZ radio today that the Suns should take Chriss over Bender if both are available at 4. He said Chriss is more of a project but has better upside. Compared him to Amare and Marion.
why does inf hate chriss then?
I don't hate him, I just don't think he's a good prospect.
Looks like you're going to be disappointed with our first pick. You don't have either Chriss or Bender on your list and I'm convinced we're taking one of the two.
INF doesn't seem to like any of the potential #4 picks except Hield, who, even if he's a good prospect, probably isn't a good pick for us because of Booker. So he probably won't be happy unless we trade the pick.

I can relate. Nobody really excites me except Bender, who is far from a sure thing. If we pick him, we're gambling on how his body and skills will develop. INF doesn't seem to think it's a good bet, but there may not be a better one for us at #4.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:I see a potential Channing Frye with hops.
I see a good jump shooter that can deliver some highlight plays but probably is the 7th or 8th best player on a contender.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

And I am really not swayed by Chad Ford gushing over a player.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Cap wrote: INF doesn't seem to like any of the potential #4 picks except Hield, who, even if he's a good prospect, probably isn't a good pick for us because of Booker. So he probably won't be happy unless we trade the pick.

I can relate. Nobody really excites me except Bender, who is far from a sure thing. If we pick him, we're gambling on how his body and skills will develop. INF doesn't seem to think it's a good bet, but there may not be a better one for us at #4.
I hate the tunnel vision and rigidity of this regime, as well as their propensity to overvalue "assets."

I can just imagine Ryan demanding a hall of famer for the 4th pick. I can just see him assigning artificial value to the pick because it is a top 5 pick, instead actually accurately assessing the value that's available in the draft.

Cap

Post by Cap »

What if we don't trade the pick? Assuming for discussion that we will use the pick to draft someone who is going to be a rookie in a Suns uniform this season, whom would you pick? (Also assume for discussion that no trades are made before the draft, but you can draft a player with the intention of trying to trade Bleds/AASE/whoever after the draft.)
Last edited by Cap on Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

INFORMER wrote:
Split T wrote:
Rebounding, rebounding, rebounding. Players who do it now, will, Players who don't, won't.

Cap

Post by Cap »

JCSunsfan wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
Split T wrote:
Rebounding, rebounding, rebounding. Players who do it now, will, Players who don't, won't.
Bender is not a great rebounder right now. At 18 yo, 7'1", 225 lbs., he gets pushed around in the paint. I'm willing to gamble that he will indeed improve in this category as he matures.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Cap wrote:What if we don't trade the pick? Assuming for discussion that we will use the pick to draft someone who is going to be a rookie in a Suns uniform this season, whom would you pick?
Hield. And if not Hield, Skal.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Do you think Hield and Booker can play together?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Cap wrote:Do you think Hield and Booker can play together?
I think Hield is good enough that you would at least have to try.

Split T

Post by Split T »

INFORMER wrote:
Split T wrote:
What are we talking about here with these comps, how those players were like as prospects or how they blossomed as NBA vets?

I just wouldn't throw around the Amare comp so readily. As a prospect, Amare was intriguing because he had a raw power to his game to relentlessly and violently attack the rim. That's not Marquese Chriss. Amare also had an it factor to him. He was ridiculously hungry and craved greatness. Stoudemire was a prospect you see maybe once every 10-15 years.

And again, I don't see the Marion comparison. Are you saying that just because Chriss has a narrow frame, and a quick second jump? I don't think that warrants a Marion comp.
Amare was definitely a much better prospect than Chriss, I just think they have a similar skill set. You're right that Chriss doesn't attack the rim like amare. Amare could and would dunk on anyone.

As for Marion, I don't necessarily see that comparison. They may be similar athletically, but that's probably it right now.

I think Chriss ends up somewhere between Hakim warrick and amare. If we draft him, hopefully it's closer to amare than hakim.

Split T

Post by Split T »

INFORMER wrote:
Cap wrote:What if we don't trade the pick? Assuming for discussion that we will use the pick to draft someone who is going to be a rookie in a Suns uniform this season, whom would you pick?
Hield. And if not Hield, Skal.
Why Skal? I'm not opposed to him, but I wouldn't take him at 4. He's talented, but played awful at Kentucky this year.