Suns News: The Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: Suns News: The Offseason

Post by INFORMER »

A more substantial group of prospects in today:
Today's #Suns workout: UNC SG P.J. Hairston, Baylor C Isaiah Austin, UVa G Joe Harris, ISU G DeAndre Kane, UCLA F D. Wear, Fla G S. Wilbekin
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Lotsa shooters, really big on Hairston, hoping we can land him.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I'm not a big fan of Hairston.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I think he's a second rounder. I liked him when he was at UNC. Getting kicked off the team probably doesn't endear him to the Suns brass.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I'm really glad that Archie is staying in town over the Summer to work on his game:

"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Jeez:

Patric Young, PF/C from Florida

"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

"We try not to eliminate guys positionally. We had a decent year, but we weren't a playoff team. We don't have anybody who is so entrenched that we would say, ‘all right, let's not worry about this position and let's just draft other positions.' Generally, we just try to take whoever the best players are and then let them battle it out with the guys on our current roster."
http://www.arizonasports.com/41/1736601 ... -NBA-Draft

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

PHOENIX, Ariz. -- Archie Goodwin, it's sometimes forgotten is still a teenager.

Even with a full season under his belt with the Phoenix Suns, he has not yet reached his 20s. He will in another two months when he celebrates his 20th birthday on Aug. 17.

In other words, he's young.

He's a kid.

And on occasion kids do something stupid, like get arrested.
:roll: I could do without the Jameis Winston defense.
"There's nothing to be embarrassed about. Mistakes happen," Goodwin told Arizona Sports this week. "In order for me to grow as a man, I'm going to make mistakes. Like I said, there's nothing to be embarrassed about. It was just a learning step."
"(The Suns) reacted (to the arrest) like I thought they should have," he said. "The matter is not as big as people made it out to seem, and so now it's just, like I said, putting it behind me and getting ready for this next upcoming thing (summer league) because I can't let the past affect me."
http://www.arizonasports.com/41/1736666 ... kes-happen

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

There must be something in the water down there.

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

For me, there is a distinction between making a bad choice and a mistake; seems like most athletes use the latter to cover for their bad choices - and I do find a fine distinction between the two words.

That out of the way, Archie *is* a 19 year old kid saying this stuff, so I definitely think he deserves some (initial) leeway. I don't think he's a bad apple, but after the Richard Dumas experience, I never quite looked at athletes the same way as a kid ever again.

Or...maybe I've been watching too much House (MD) on Netflix lately.

Everybody liesssssssss! :lol:

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Bad apple? No. Knucklehead? Probably. I'm beginning to see why him and Calipari butted heads.

The whole nonsense in Arkansas isn't that big of deal in the big picture. It raises an eyebrow, but it's not reason to run him out of town or anything like that. I doubt this will be the least blip on the radar though.

TOO

Post by TOO »

If you watched UK's little doc when Archie was a freshman it showed why he and Cal bumped heads. Cal was so far up his ass trying to make him a PG and called him out in front of everyone when he messed up. Nothing to do with being a knucklehead, he's too soft spoken for that IMO.

If I didn't know any better I'd think you hate everything on this team but Coach and Dragic.. And draft picks lol.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:Bad apple? No. Knucklehead? Probably. I'm beginning to see why him and Calipari butted heads.
Wow. What a rush to judgement. SMH.

"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

MSU's Payne and Harris will be in for w/o soon. About time we get a lotto guy in.

carey

Post by carey »

Lol, Rob, we'll probably work out every guy outside the top 8. I wouldn't worry about it. Still a month out.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

carey wrote:Lol, Rob, we'll probably work out every guy outside the top 8.
Ha! Very true.

TOO

Post by TOO »

I'm impatient :lol:

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

INFORMER wrote:Bad apple? No. Knucklehead? Probably. I'm beginning to see why him and Calipari butted heads.

The whole nonsense in Arkansas isn't that big of deal in the big picture. It raises an eyebrow, but it's not reason to run him out of town or anything like that. I doubt this will be the least blip on the radar though.

He butted heads with Cal for the same reason several players but heads with Cal and why Cal flamed out in the NBA. Calapari is known for riding his players, especially when they aren't living up to what he thinks they should and publicly criticizing them, and that type of stuff got toned out in the NBA. I am not defending being drunk and doing stupid things outside a bowling alley, but c'mon...3 Baltimore Ravens got kicked out of club last week for being to intoxicated, this type of stuff is non-issues unless it becomes a pattern of behavior.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:MSU's Payne and Harris will be in for w/o soon. About time we get a lotto guy in.
Gary Harris is a real possibility at 14. Payne has been all over the place. I've seen him as high as Chicago at 16 and as low as OKC in the late 20's.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

TOO

Post by TOO »

Sunsfan4life wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:MSU's Payne and Harris will be in for w/o soon. About time we get a lotto guy in.
Gary Harris is a real possibility at 14. Payne has been all over the place. I've seen him as high as Chicago at 16 and as low as OKC in the late 20's.
Youre probably right about Harris, especially as McD doesn't think height makes or breaks a player. You can never have enough good guards.