Suns News: The Offseason (2016)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
bajanguy008

Re: Suns News: The Offseason (2016)

Post by bajanguy008 »

Article on our Cap Space with quotes from McD

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... 15a02edded
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I didn't see this SI article back in May. Booker is one special dude on and off the court.

http://www.si.com/nba/2016/05/19/devin- ... nna-warren
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

bajanguy008 wrote:Article on our Cap Space with quotes from McD

I like the plan. We aren't going anywhere anyway. Stash some cash and play the wait and see who becomes available at some point where we can take advantage of some desperate team.

carey

Re: RE: Re: Suns News: The Offseason (2016)

Post by carey »

Nodack wrote:
bajanguy008 wrote:Article on our Cap Space with quotes from McD

I like the plan. We aren't going anywhere anyway. Stash some cash and play the wait and see who becomes available at some point where we can take advantage of some desperate team.
There's half a dozen other teams trying to do the same though. I guess we will see what comes of it. I'm not an advocate of spending for spending's sake.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

Those other teams don't have Booker and unlimited hugs. We shall prevail.

Cap

Post by Cap »

“I’d be surprised if we spent a lot of that cap space now or over the summertime,” Suns General Manager Ryan McDonough said. “More likely, we’ll preserve most, if not all of it, and go into the season and look at either in-season signings or probably more likely in-season trades that are lopsided where we take back more money than we send out. There are a decent amount of advantages to operating as an under-the-cap team in terms of player aggregation and trades and things like that.”
How does that fit with the "family" theme? You can't trade your children for new ones, can you?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Oh, I've got a list of guys I would trade to another team.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Cap wrote:
“I’d be surprised if we spent a lot of that cap space now or over the summertime,” Suns General Manager Ryan McDonough said. “More likely, we’ll preserve most, if not all of it, and go into the season and look at either in-season signings or probably more likely in-season trades that are lopsided where we take back more money than we send out. There are a decent amount of advantages to operating as an under-the-cap team in terms of player aggregation and trades and things like that.”
How does that fit with the "family" theme? You can't trade your children for new ones, can you?
I'm pretty sure that marriage is some kind of variation on the subject...

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Thought I remembered an article or blurb about how the Bucks players were a little...disenchanted with Kidd and the Bucks after the Knight trade. Kidd had used the brother/family theme with the guys all season and they had bought in, were playing well, and then seemingly out of nowhere came the Knight trade. So it's a fine line in selling the family stuff and getting the players to buy in, while still keeping things professional enough so they understand it's still "a business" and trades happen.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

That was literally the Buck's best season since George Karl, Sam Cassell, Ray Allen, and Gary Payton. I don't know why they broke that up.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
You seriously think that the players believe that they can't be traded in the new paradigm? Do you think that is realistic in any way? It's an offshoot of the Spurs program. Sometimes guys get traded for the betterment of the "family."

"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

But you never really leave "the family", do you.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

FOE. Never forget.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:But you never really leave "the family", do you.
I don't know. Ask George Hill.

"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Part of me wants us to make a play for Mo Harkless (I was thinking a 4 year/$45M or so deal) as part of a sign and trade where we send Archie and PJ out. That should still leave us with a little under $10M in cap space to make facilitator trades.

I think Harkless is a versatile 3/4 who can play bigger when next to Dudley and TJ and smaller when next to Bender and Chriss. He also fits our growth timeline. I just don't know if he's expecting Allen Crabbe money. If so, no thanks.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't dislike Harkless, but I don't especially like the strategy of signing a lot of "middling" players, especially when we have young guys at the forward spots who should get minutes (Warren, Chriss, Bender, and now maybe Williams).

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:I had to look up Krebs cycle. I had never heard of it.
That is interesting. I thought it was a common thing you learn in HS. But I asked my wife and she didn't know it either. I like the analogy, but, like cap, not sure it really fits.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:I had to look up Krebs cycle. I had never heard of it.
That is interesting. I thought it was a common thing you learn in HS. But I asked my wife and she didn't know it either. I like the analogy, but, like cap, not sure it really fits.
It's very possible I studied it in HS but didn't retain it.

"Be Legendary."

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Sup guys , this link is 63mins of the Select Team's last day (Drills and Scrimmage). The person recording is courtside which limits seeing everything that is happening off the ball but I still think they did a good job. It is a chance to see what our boy Booker been up to and to see the other up and coming talent putting in work so I enjoyed it, not to mention Pop is running the practice. The Scrimmage actually starts at 43mins because I don't think everyone is gonna watch the whole thing like me lol

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Great find, thanks.

I really like Myles Turner. The 2015 draft was really something.