Suns News: The Offseason (2016)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
O_Gardino

Re: Suns News: The Offseason (2016)

Post by O_Gardino »

Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:I had to look up Krebs cycle. I had never heard of it.
That is interesting. I thought it was a common thing you learn in HS. But I asked my wife and she didn't know it either. I like the analogy, but, like cap, not sure it really fits.
Funny how you put "learn" and "HS" in the same sentence. Good joke, Indy! ;)
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Shabazz wrote:Great find, thanks.

I really like Myles Turner. The 2015 draft was really something.
Yeah, can we have 4 picks in the 2015 draft, please?

Cap

Post by Cap »

I'm Home, by Jared Dudley

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Cap wrote:I'm Home, by Jared Dudley
Yup , I am constantly checking this site - more often than not there are some good articles/stories
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:I'm Home, by Jared Dudley
Love it!
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Awesome article. Think Dudley's presence off the court will be felt just as much if not more then on.

Bring back Jmz videos starring Bender,Booker and the boys.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Just drives home how special that team was too.

"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

http://theundefeated.com/features/earl- ... his-heart/
Phoenix Suns head coach Earl Watson and his family are hoping to land justice Thursday to help them begin healing after suffering two years of heartache over his brother’s murder.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/john- ... direction/

Nice little story about John Jenkins as mentor.
Jenkins seemingly fits Watson’s style of play and there’s no question that he provides value when on the court. Last year, he led Phoenix in three-point percentage (40.6 percent) and elbow shooting percentage (50 percent). This skill set is a perfect fit for today’s NBA with the way shooting and spacing are valued, especially on a team like the Suns that likes to shoot from long distance – ranking 10th in the NBA in made threes per game last season.

Jenkins is also efficient, ranking second on the Suns in True Shooting Percentage (56.4) behind only Chandler, who obviously does his damage at the basket. Jenkins’ career True Shooting Percentage is an impressive 56.2 percent. He also ranked second on the Suns in assist-to-turnover ratio (1.13) last season, which likely helped earned Coach Watson’s trust down the stretch of the campaign.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

You can never have too many shooters, right?

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Ring_Wanted wrote:You can never have too many shooters, right?
Cotton couldn't have said it better ...
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

LazarusLong wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:You can never have too many shooters, right?
Cotton couldn't have said it better ...
Haha. You know what? Westphal was fired by the Kings. Add him to the staff instead of Corbin (no offense), for instance.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

carey wrote:http://www.basketballinsiders.com/john- ... direction/

Nice little story about John Jenkins as mentor.
Jenkins seemingly fits Watson’s style of play and there’s no question that he provides value when on the court. Last year, he led Phoenix in three-point percentage (40.6 percent) and elbow shooting percentage (50 percent). This skill set is a perfect fit for today’s NBA with the way shooting and spacing are valued, especially on a team like the Suns that likes to shoot from long distance – ranking 10th in the NBA in made threes per game last season.

Jenkins is also efficient, ranking second on the Suns in True Shooting Percentage (56.4) behind only Chandler, who obviously does his damage at the basket. Jenkins’ career True Shooting Percentage is an impressive 56.2 percent. He also ranked second on the Suns in assist-to-turnover ratio (1.13) last season, which likely helped earned Coach Watson’s trust down the stretch of the campaign.
Good read. I've been a fan of Jenkie's game since we got him, but I wanted us to send him somewhere where he could play. Now I like him even more. Can we send Knight somewhere so we can play this guy, please?

Cap

Post by Cap »

ESPN's take on the West: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/17131 ... -standings
14. Phoenix Suns
Proj. record: 26-56
Last season: 23-59

The Suns walked away from the 2016 NBA draft with two of the top eight picks in power forwards Dragan Bender (fourth overall) and Marquese Chriss (eighth overall). Throw in the 13th overall pick from 2015 in Devin Booker and the Suns have a trio of players who will be no older than 20 by season's end. The youthful talent is intriguing, and our panel expects improvement from Phoenix, but it also knows that inexperience doesn't lead to wins in the NBA.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:ESPN's take on the West: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/17131 ... -standings
14. Phoenix Suns

The Suns walked away from the 2016 NBA draft with two of the top eight picks in power forwards Dragan Bender (fourth overall) and Marquese Chriss (eighth overall). Throw in the 13th overall pick from 2015 in Devin Booker and the Suns have a trio of players who will be no older than 20 by season's end. The youthful talent is intriguing, and our panel expects improvement from Phoenix, but it also knows that inexperience doesn't lead to wins in the NBA.
I guess they expect Bledsoe and Knight to miss most of the season again? If Vegas has the same odds, that's an easy bet on the over. My best guess is our win total will be in the 30s.

"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Superbone wrote:
Cap wrote:ESPN's take on the West: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/17131 ... -standings
14. Phoenix Suns

I guess they expect Bledsoe and Knight to miss most of the season again? If Vegas has the same odds, that's an easy bet on the over. My best guess is our win total will be in the 30s.
In fairness, Bledsoe's injuries are the kind that may continue to be a problem.

As for AASE, who cares? He doesn't help that much. We had a better record without him.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Superbone wrote:
14. Phoenix Suns

In fairness, Bledsoe's injuries are the kind that may continue to be a problem.

As for AASE, who cares? He doesn't help that much. We had a better record without him.
Yeah, but it's going to be the BASE we've never seen before. "Suns fans haven't seen the real Brandon Knight."

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think we will be much better next season, but that we'll still have a really bad record. Look at how much talent the Wolves have had in recent years, and they still couldn't really translate it into wins because they were too young and inexperienced. I think it'll be similar for us, with even less talent. (We don't have a Karl Anthony Towns, or maybe even a Wiggins, level talent on this roster.) But this is all okay. I don't need wins next year, just signs of talent and improvement from our young guys, along with better overall team chemistry and less ballhogging / chucking.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

I just want to see improvement in the young players (Warren, Ulis, Bender, Chriss, Len, Booker, Goodwin, etc)

I don't really give a shit how many games they win or if they make the playoffs.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

No way this team only wins 26 with everyone healthy.