2014 NBA Draft

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: 2014 NBA Draft

Post by INFORMER »

Jerian doesn't have the exceptional athleticism that Jerami does, but he's more skilled and has one if not two NBA positions. As In2 alluded to, Jerian was having a breakout season until he got suspended.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Grant = Julian Wright?

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

INFORMER wrote:Yeah, I have feared for months that Grant will be one of the guys Ryan picks. And TOO is exactly right, Grant is right up Ryan's alley in terms of the kind of prospect Ryan likes. So is James Young unfortunately.
How do we know what "type" of prospects McDonough likes? Bradley, Sullinger, Len and Archie don't have all that much in common.

We do know he likes athletes, but none of his most recent picks have been freaks. Archie is fast and can jump, but the rest of that group (and I know there are more he's had a hand in drafting) aren't spectacular athletes.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shabazz wrote:Grant = Julian Wright?
They have a similar build, but Grant is more athletic than Wright, and Wright showed a little more skill in college. Both don't really have a position. And I didn't like Wright as a prospect at all either.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Shabazz wrote:
INFORMER wrote:Yeah, I have feared for months that Grant will be one of the guys Ryan picks. And TOO is exactly right, Grant is right up Ryan's alley in terms of the kind of prospect Ryan likes. So is James Young unfortunately.
How do we know what "type" of prospects McDonough likes? Bradley, Sullinger, Len and Archie don't have all that much in common.

We do know he likes athletes, but none of his most recent picks have been freaks. Archie is fast and can jump, but the rest of that group (and I know there are more he's had a hand in drafting) aren't spectacular athletes.
He was in part responsible too for Gerald Green, Kendrick Perkins and Al Jefferson, all of them off HS.

Maybe what we can deduce is the kind of prospect he doesn't like. A McDermott, TJ Warren or Kyle Anderson, for instance? Players more or less stuck between two positions but lacking the physical tools to be a tweener in the good sense, a mismatch.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

From Chad Ford:
The idea of a lottery pick in this year's draft being available in trade talks is a surprising development, but several teams appear amenable to a deal.

"I thought getting a lottery pick via trade would be virtually impossible this year," one NBA GM said. "It's not. There are a lot of teams in the lottery right now that would prefer a proven player. A lot of owners have lost their patience with the rebuilding process."

The Boston Celtics, Los Angeles Lakers, Sacramento Kings, Charlotte Hornets, Minnesota Timberwolves and Phoenix Suns are all open to offers for their lottery picks, according to sources.

The Milwaukee Bucks, Atlanta Hawks, Dallas Mavericks, Portland Trail Blazers and Toronto Raptors are expected to be especially busy looking to move up or to acquire a second pick.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Heh. So uncommon to hear that at this time of the year.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I would love for the Suns to home in on trading to get in a position to get Zach LaVine and Aaron Gordon from this draft. But with the 29-pointer and Twin Power that probably isn't on the agenda.

cardoso31

Post by cardoso31 »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
cardoso31 wrote:Why stop at the "lesser brother" trend? Lets start a new one with the "less talented son"..
Harvey Grant was shit lol.
Ok my bad! lets call it "less talented nephew" then.. I tought he was Horace's son

carey

Post by carey »

INFORMER wrote:I would love for the Suns to home in on trading to get in a position to get Zach LaVine and Aaron Gordon from this draft. But with the 29-pointer and Twin Power that probably isn't on the agenda.
I'm down with this scenario in a big way.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

carey wrote:
INFORMER wrote:I would love for the Suns to home in on trading to get in a position to get Zach LaVine and Aaron Gordon from this draft. But with the 29-pointer and Twin Power that probably isn't on the agenda.
I'm down with this scenario in a big way.
Agreed
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Beyond the top3+Exum-Vonleh, those two have probably the most potential, so indeed they are more than desirable.

LaVine has all the tools to be a monster, but there is also a distinct possibility that he ends up with a Geral Green type of career. One thing that actually makes me want him is that we have the coach that has gotten the most out of GG, so maybe LaVine would be able to realize his inmense potential here.

Gordon could also end up being little more than a role player, a Brandan Wright, but his defense and fastbreak-finishing ability alone would make it worth the gamble.

Sacramento wants instant impact as well as cap relief. Charlotte in also in win now mode and needs offense badly. I wouldn't trade with the Suns if I were either, but asking can't hurt.

I'd offer Sacramento #18 in exchange for #8 and Thompson.

#14 and the Morrii to the Bobcats for their #9. In terms of players, Gerald Green would probably be better for them but since he is expiring his value won't be that high I believe. I'd make him available anyway, and would also ask about McBob.

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

:mrgreen:

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

According Paul Coro's twitter, the Suns worked out Tenn PF Jarnell Stokes, G'town G M. Stokes, Ohio St G A. Craft, KU F Tarik Black, Fla F C. Prather, Seton F F. Edwin.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Who's the 29 pointer?

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Alex Len.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Thanks for the clarification Ring. I don't get the reference though INF.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Actually it is Archie Goodwin, the last game of the season against the Kings.

The fear is that the FO wants the Morrii and Archie enough to not be interested in Zack LaVine and Aaron Gordon.

Which by the way I don't think it's too much warranted.

Goodwin is a slasher through and through and is just learning to shoot, whereas LaVine is the crazy athletic shooter who hopefully develops to the extent of his significants gifs. I'd supress Gerald Green if I have to, just in terms of balance. Green has been fantastic anyway.

And Aaron Gordon is a dynamic defender who hopes he was as skilled as the Morii. I can see Kieff and Gordon playing well together, above all since Markieff has been used as center by Hornacek. Marcus, on the other hand, would probably lose minutes or even the place in the rotation. A lot would depend on PJ Tucker.

In other words, Archie and the twins wouldn't keep me away from those two prospects if I had a chance at landing them, and I hope the GM sees it the same way. After all, role players are easy to replace but potential is hard to come by.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Alex Len.
No.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Actually it is Archie Goodwin, the last game of the season against the Kings.
Yes.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."