Preseason Game Day: Suns (3-2) @ Lakers (1-4), Fri 10/21/16

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
jonh

Re: Preseason Game Day: Suns (3-2) @ Lakers (1-4), Fri 10/21/16

Post by jonh »

I think a team rots from the head downward. This team doesn't have good ballhandlers and point guards, and the coaching is questionable. I think that will lead us to lose a lot of games that we ought to have won.
The Morris brothers are a great example of how to destroy a team without being either a ball handler or a coach.

Can we fully evaluate the coaching yet? I think that the team has to be given at least half a season before being able to evaluate whether Watson really is just a motivational speaker, or if he also has the ability to create a coherent offensive and defensive scheme. I dont think that we get a whole lot out of looking at what he did at the end of last season, either. Coaching changes in the middle of the season are horrible times to evaluate anything other than which players gave up on the coach.

Superbone

Re: RE: Re: Preseason Game Day: Suns (3-2) @ Lakers (1-4), Fri 10/21/16

Post by Superbone »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
carey wrote:
Superbone wrote:On the plus side, Booker handles the ball really well for a two guard.
I would say borderline elite though you couldn't tell last night. He is going to see double teams every night. Poor guy. Good thing he can also pass.
Loved the alleyoop to Chandler in the first Q.
Yeah, that was a thing of beauty. Perfectly placed.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

jonh wrote:Can we fully evaluate the coaching yet? I think that the team has to be given at least half a season before being able to evaluate whether Watson really is just a motivational speaker, or if he also has the ability to create a coherent offensive and defensive scheme. I dont think that we get a whole lot out of looking at what he did at the end of last season, either. Coaching changes in the middle of the season are horrible times to evaluate anything other than which players gave up on the coach.
Exactly. Thus my eyeroll above. Welcome back!
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Superbone wrote:
jonh wrote:Can we fully evaluate the coaching yet? I think that the team has to be given at least half a season before being able to evaluate whether Watson really is just a motivational speaker, or if he also has the ability to create a coherent offensive and defensive scheme. I dont think that we get a whole lot out of looking at what he did at the end of last season, either. Coaching changes in the middle of the season are horrible times to evaluate anything other than which players gave up on the coach.
Exactly. Thus my eyeroll above. Welcome back!
If Watson is successful in bringing in a true defensive mentality, I will be extremely impressed. I do not think any former Suns coach has pulled that off. Of course, if he does, he won't get credit. It will just look like ugly basketball, and we caught the opposition on a bad day.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I can't remember, did Scott Skiles get us playing good defense? I know those were the malaise years, but I don't remember much about how we actually played, other than Jason Kidd single-handedly keeping us winning around 40-45 games every year.

Ring_Wanted

Re: RE: Re: Preseason Game Day: Suns (3-2) @ Lakers (1-4), Fri 10/21/16

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Superbone wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
carey wrote:
Superbone wrote:On the plus side, Booker handles the ball really well for a two guard.
I would say borderline elite though you couldn't tell last night. He is going to see double teams every night. Poor guy. Good thing he can also pass.
Loved the alleyoop to Chandler in the first Q.
Yeah, that was a thing of beauty. Perfectly placed.
They tried another one but Chandler was fouled. It would be useful if those two can have a game so the team gets an above the rim threat. I saw Chandler really engaged. Loved his hustle on the offensive boards. Everybody is playing with a ton of effort. Sometimes people get lost, though.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

I was just given tickets. Had the option of several games but chose the T-Wolves the day after Thanksgiving. I want to watch the young studs play. BTW, fantastic seats.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JCSunsfan wrote: BTW, fantastic seats.
Where? I am jealous. My company used to have season tickets 4 rows behind the Suns bench. I used to get to go to 3 or 4 games a year there. Best seats I ever had. I haven't sat court-side yet.