My Global Games Mexico review

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
cardoso31

My Global Games Mexico review

Post by cardoso31 »

Sorry guys if this isn't thread worthy.. just wanted to share my experience.

I went to both games and lived the whole experience of feeling the suns as your home team, loved every minute of it.

For the dallas game the arena was not full, there were some spots here and there but still the Najera effect (like you said) was still in effect, there are a lot of dallas jerseys and a lot of najera's. It would have been great to have him made an appearance, but I guess his boss would let him travel, i think he's the coach of the dallas Dleague team. his boss did made the trip actually (Cuban) and my mate and I were shouting to him all game long about why he traded Najera back in the day ;)

You guys have talked about the performance of the team, i believe both teams were really struggling to keep up with the CDMX attitude or a different arena, lighting or something, thats why te game looked relaxed at times. I confirmed some thoughts I have about our team while watching on league pass and got some new insights from watching the game so close. There are many things you cant get thru the tv but you can catch live. I was sitted 4 rows behind the mass bench for the first game.

1. I hate Brandon Knight, ball hog, and a bad one, not like Thomas who would disrupt the offence to score by himself, Knight can't score and sometimes even take a decent shot. Seriously, bad trade whatever, just throw him away. I McD can get a 1st for him i will build him an altar in my backyard.

2. Love Tyson, the guy really tries for his age, he looked really fit live and still got some athletic ability, oviuoly life has sought up and he takes a few plays off but he can bring it when he wants. Also I have NO IDEA why he's not called for a moving screen on every screen he sets! really thats a bad habit but I guess the refs respect his status and calls him for it only once in the game, he still throws an elbow every pick to the little opposing PG

3. alan williams became some sort of ambassador for the suns and participated on several events around the game, too bad coach would not give him minutes, the fans would have recognised him, still his presence in the bench looked like the right kind of guy to have on the bench, jumping and rooting for the team all the time.

4. i was interviewed by Suns.com, hope to see that interview online sometime, the amazingly good looking reporter asked if i could speak english and then asked me classic questions about the suns, when I became a fan and all that, and asked me about my jersey, I guess she had no Idea Luis Scola have played for the suns. I was rocking my scola jersey (latin american legend!) my suns retro hat and my purple and orange barkleys!

5. The guy with the 'fro form in-house entertainment can speak spanish, that was nice, the crowd connected.

For the spurs game i was sited like 10 rows from the court on the opposite side of the benches, and i was sited 3 rows from commissioner adam silver, he was a very nice guy with everyone who asked for a picture, and i got to pickup a stat sheet the officials gave him, quite a nerdy souvenir, but it has the official attendance of the arena and the sweet words: "Brandon Knight DNP". He was fitted right next to amad rashad. maybe millennial kids don't know him and almost nobody asked him for a picture, but my mate got one with him and he seemed pleased and surprised, also Silver turned around surprised. Also quite a good guy, I asked him I he could give us the mobile number of his main man Michael Jordan.. and he laughed with his trademark laugh while shaking my hand. I mean, we grew up with inside stuff!

In the spurs game the suns sure looked like the team with a week in mexico already, thats what got us the W, the crowd was all pro Spurs at the beginning of the game, going crazy (reasonably) over Manu, but as the game went by the suns made them believers, really, all of the casual crowd went home a Suns fan, oh and the bootleg t-shirts outside the arena, by the end of saturday's game, all of bookers t-shirts were gone!

There's rumours that the suns want to make mexico a second home and come every year, If thats the case that's a great first step. Booker will love the mexican all star vote!

Overall, I had an amazing weekend. Loved both games and both experiences, I always go to the NBA Mexico game but having my team and eating the spurs will make this year the best. I saw the suns on preseason in 96 and 2009 but nothing compared to the regular season.

Some photos since i don't have you all on Facebook except for sose and charles_smith and Mori

Split T

Re: My Global Games Mexico review

Post by Split T »

Awesome stuff Cardoso!! I hope we keep playing down there each year as well. Would be nice to be Mexico's team!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Very cool! I'm not positive but I think I might have seen you on the NBATV broadcast of the Spurs game.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Great post, Cardoso. Very cool stuff.

Do you have a pic of your mid-game selfie with TJ Warren?

pickle

Post by pickle »

I resonate with the Chandler comment. He's been the consummate professional and I wish him the best.

That said, let's trade him already.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Thanks for the photos and report, Cardoso. Looks like you had a great time.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Awesome man, glad you could make it, hopefully next year I'll be there too. Being in Puebla is great for Mexico City entertainment just a couple hours away.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Awesome stuff Cardoso! I am green with envy!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

These are great photos, Cardoso, and your recap of the games was fun to read as well. Thanks for sharing them with us! Glad the Suns and the NBA put on a good show for all of you. Mexico has a lot of great NBA fans, and they are smart to bring games down there to expand the game's global fan base.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

This is great man! I love the stories and the pictures from your experience at the game. It makes me feel just slightly like I was there as well. Keep rooting for the Suns down south and growing our fan base! Glad to have you posting all of these years.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

Love the post and the pictures, cardoso! The live reporting is the best. You can see so much more than on TV.

Also, Eduardo was there. He was on the broadcast for a bit.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Love the selfie with Ahmad Rashad that was photo bombed by Adam Silver.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass