Game Day: Suns (16-36) @ Grizzlies (32-22), Wed 2/8/17

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
UglyTruth

Re: Game Day: Suns (16-36) @ Grizzlies (32-22), Wed 2/8/17

Post by UglyTruth »

JustWinBaby wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
LazarusLong wrote:
The Bobster wrote:Down by 17 with just over a minute left and the starters are still in.
I'm impressed by Watson's Wooden-like wisdom ... :P

What a strategist. What a leader of men.

"Follow me, like lemmings to the sea ..."
Watson has mastered the craft of falling asleep with his eyes open. I see no coaching from him all game. No words of advice to young players. Just sits/stands there in a coma
Thank you. Someone else seeing what I see. That is what really bugs me about Watson. He averaged 37 wins in his playing career. His first partial year as coach, 9 wins. This maybe 25. This guy is used to losing and it shows. The blank stare and no emotion. He walks off the court, after each loss, like it was just another day in the office. I want him to be yelling at somebody, kicking some chairs and getting into players faces that continue to suck.

That is what gets me irritated about Alex Len as well. A player that has struggled with virtually no passion. I like players to play with passion. Is he following his leader?

What is strange is that I remember Watson as a nasty competitive little SOB when he played. What happened?
You'll like Chriss then. He seems like a fiesty passionsate kinda guy.

And if we actually manage to trade for Cousins, you'll really love it then.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

After the game, Booker had harsh words for Daniels.

"He's been on five teams in three years and he has the nerve to talk trash to me," Booker said. "He's on a winning team so you have those muscles when you're on a really good team. It is what it is. We will see him again."

Suns coach Earl Watson didn't appreciate the shoving, but he liked how his young players stuck up for each other.

"That shows they believe in each other and they believe in a purpose," he said. "They play for something bigger. They play for each other. That's how you start to change the mindset."

Said Booker: "We have a young core that's really close with each other. It's the same thing we'd do off the court if any of us got in a fight. We stick together. We're brothers. That's just how it goes."
Looks like Booker acknowledged that Daniels is only taking ish cause he's on a winning team.

It's just funny to me though. Williams is an absolute scrub of a player. His next contract, he'll be playing for the Kings or the 76ers. So then he won't talk and will be silent the whole game?

The whole "yeah he can talk **** since he's on a winning team" is just a joke. I wonder if he talks s**t to Anthony Davis, will people say "Well yeah Davis is on a losing team and Williams is on a contender so Williams has the right to talk smack there".

Being on a winning team doesn't give you some kind of great edge to talking smack. If guys like Davis, Cousins, KAT, Booker or Wiggins wanted to, they could go play for the Spurs or Warriors on the vets min and then have the title of "being on a winning team" but no their too f***ing good for that.

Reminds me of how Draymond Green recently said that Charles Barkley can't criticize LeBron because Charles has never won a ring. Chuck is like 10x the player that Green was back in Chuck's prime so Green doesn't even have the right to say his damn name.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:Knight having a good game so far. Good to see.
The only bright spot in this one was the bench coming in and giving maximum effort and not allowing the Grizz to pull away.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
Superbone wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
carey wrote:Lose by 18.
My ideal Suns Wednesday:

-Lose by 18

-Trade Bledsoe and Tucker for a good return

-Trade Knight for anything anybody is willing to give us

-#Acceleratetheprocess
That's a busy Wednesday! What are they going to do on Thursday?

LOL.

Man, this game is hard to watch. I've been zoning in and out. There are still 2 quarters left to announce a trade. #Acceleratetheprocess
Well, one out of three isn't bad. Still work to do.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:Tyler Ulis playing great on the bench
His minutes...er, seconds on the floor were pretty special too.

"Be Legendary."

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Suns coach Earl Watson didn't appreciate the shoving, but he liked how his young players stuck up for each other.
"That shows they believe in each other and they believe in a purpose," he said. "They play for something bigger. They play for each other. That's how you start to change the mindset."
Said Booker: "We have a young core that's really close with each other. It's the same thing we'd do off the court if any of us got in a fight. We stick together. We're brothers. That's just how it goes."

That's a lot of crap. Want to believe in a purpose? Play defense like your livelihood depended on it.

It's one thing to stick up for a teammate who gets undercut or a hard foul.
But getting into a shoving match just because somebody talks smack is silly.
Scoreboard, guys ... if you don't like getting beat, play better.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Indy

Post by Indy »

I shut it off with 1:30 left. And I am glad I did after reading this thread. What a stupid statement from Booker.

azsportsfan

Post by azsportsfan »

Yeah, that was a mistake for Booker to say that. Other than being a promising young player, he hasn't accomplished anything either. He let his emotions get the better of him there.

carey

Post by carey »

https://theringer.com/wiggins-barbosa-p ... .i6p8lu2uf
That Escalated Quickly

Chris Almeida: If an NBA regular-season game is exciting to an impartial observer, it is usually for one of three reasons:

1. At least one of the league’s elite teams is playing
2. A star player has an irregular scoring night
3. Shenanigans

When I tuned into Suns-Grizzlies, I knew that reason no. 1 would not be in play, and it became clear relatively quickly that reason no. 2 would also be off the table. The game wasn’t an embarrassing blowout, but Memphis established itself early and held Phoenix at an arm’s length en route to a 110–91 victory. Scoring responsibility was well-distributed; Mike Conley had a game-high 23 points and 10 players across both teams, including four off the bench, scored in double figures.
Marc Gasol hit a 3, which, despite appearing visually wrong, is his new reality. I first noticed this hobby when he crushed Washington down the stretch in his third game of the season, hitting three 3s in a four-minute span. At the time, I thought the game was a freak outlier, but whatever Gasol was doing that night has carried on for the entire year. This season, Gasol has made 76 of his 188 attempts (40.4 percent) from deep, making him one of the 25 most accurate 3-point shooters among players with at least 150 attempts. Over the first eight seasons of his career, Gasol was 12 of 66 (!) from behind the arc.
But a single awkward-looking 3 isn’t enough to carry a game. Luckily, there were shenanigans about halfway through the second quarter when Chandler Parsons found himself with an easy wing jumper. Leandro Barbosa, getting into position late, got set as Parsons elevated and then, still too late to contest the shot, punched Parsons in the groin.

https://twitter.com/GrizzliesFR/status/829506500183875584

The punch didn’t appear to be a part of a normal defensive effort, but the game continued without much chippiness after Barbosa was assessed a flagrant 1. That is, until the final 1:10 in the game when Devin Booker fouled Troy Daniels on a 4-point play opportunity in garbage time and all hell broke loose:

[youtube][/youtube]

On most nights, this would have been the best example of unnecessary NBA violence, but this was an exceptional evening for shenanigans.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Another pretty crummy game, but I'm not that upset about the "fight." At least they showed some fire and emotion. More concerned that Chriss couldn't seem to get it going at all (4 pts on 1-5 shooting in 23 minutes). And that PJ Tucker got 30 minutes again. And that Warren was a no-show yet again (4 points in 18 minutes). Warren, where art thou?

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400900193

Indy

Post by Indy »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote: Warren, where art thou?
I really hope that the injury didn't turn Warren into Zarko 2.0.

carey

Post by carey »

Indy wrote:
Weird, I said the same thing.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

EDC

Post by EDC »

LazarusLong wrote:Suns coach Earl Watson didn't appreciate the shoving, but he liked how his young players stuck up for each other.

That's a lot of crap. Want to believe in a purpose? Play defense like your livelihood depended on it.

Nothing like getting pissed at the other team because you can't play defense. :)

It is especially amusing that Booker got upset. He looks like he talks trash constantly. It is just embarrassing.

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:
Indy wrote:
Did I carey you? I didn't mean to. I don't remember reading that before.

Indy

Post by Indy »

LazarusLong wrote:Suns coach Earl Watson didn't appreciate the shoving, but he liked how his young players stuck up for each other.

Exactly. This is a bunch of BS. He didn't do anything Booker of PJ hasn't done many times this year.

carey

Re: RE: Re: Game Day: Suns (16-36) @ Grizzlies (32-22), Wed 2/8/17

Post by carey »

Indy wrote:
carey wrote:
Indy wrote:
I think i said it over at Real GM or maybe BSotS but i don't post there much bec Dave is such a hypocrit.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Re: RE: Re: Game Day: Suns (16-36) @ Grizzlies (32-22), Wed 2/8/17

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:
Indy wrote:
carey wrote:
Indy wrote:
I think i said it over at Real GM or maybe BSotS but i don't post there much bec Dave is such a hypocrit.
Got it. I don't read either of those.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Is ringer.com some kind of fan blog website? Are one or some of you the writers on it?

Never heard of it before but I've seen a links for it posted on this forum a few times now.

sunshoopjunky

Post by sunshoopjunky »

FOE!!!!

:)
Phoenix Suns - The art of taking a punch.

Indy

Post by Indy »

UglyTruth wrote:Is ringer.com some kind of fan blog website? Are one or some of you the writers on it?

Never heard of it before but I've seen a links for it posted on this forum a few times now.
It is Bill Simmons' site.