2017 Suns NBA Draft (4th, 32nd, 54th)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Re: 2017 Suns NBA Draft (4th, 32nd, 54th)

Post by carey »

I don't understand why the C's would double up the SF spot with Jackson when they just drafted Jaylen Brown. But here we are talking about adding Isaac after drafting Bender so who knows.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Since both Jackson and Brown can play 2-3, it's not a big doubling up. You win in this league nowadays with dominate wings. Next year they might pick Michael Porter Jr.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yea they can switch around on defense. Maybe Jackson plays some 4, Crowder can play 4. They'd have a ton of versatility, but can you win with that many role players? Can you win with IT as your 1A? At some point, will you need a "star"?

Bruiser

Re: RE: Re: 2017 Suns NBA Draft (4th, 32nd, 54th)

Post by Bruiser »

ShelC wrote:Yea they can switch around on defense. Maybe Jackson plays some 4, Crowder can play 4. They'd have a ton of versatility, but can you win with that many role players? Can you win with IT as your 1A? At some point, will you need a "star"?
This seems to be the most pressing question for Boston and somehow it makes me refuse to believe that they will give up on their #1 pick unless Philly is throwing the kitchen sink at them.

Colangelo cannot possibly be that desperate, can he? Is all of this only happening to make Magic or Ryan nervous?

So much drama. ABC should make a series out of this.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Ainge said something like "We're not going to trade the pick for a veteran who can make us 5% better"...But if you can trade the #1 pick for Paul George and a future pick or something, doesn't that make you a bit more than 5% better? Now maybe he already knows George won't sign an extension and that ship has sailed, but if not...how do you not make that trade? I love the draft and the potential talent as much as anyone, but if you're Boston right now and can get a guy like George? Even trading back for Jackson...he's not Paul George. There have also been rumors of them going after Hayward...if Ainge does have the inside track there, is Hayward as good as George? I like him, but will get the Cs over the hump in the East?

If I'm Philly, they need a star talent in the backcourt. I think they'd be major players for Lowry if this were 4 years ago, but maybe they see Fultz as they type of scoring PG who can play off Simmons, Saric, Embiid. Fox is a true PG, but the Sixers need firepower and outside shooting. Even Ball wouldn't bring that. Fultz seems like the best fit there and 3 is too high to take a scoring guard like Monk.

pagielak

Post by pagielak »

Wow after reading everything I honestly don't know who we are going to take and that's not a bad thing. I think I will be ok with almost anyone from Jackson to Tatum to Fox or Smith and of course Isaac. Different players but all of them have a lot of potential. I just hope that whoever we draft is going to fit with Devin.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

carey wrote:I don't understand why the C's would double up the SF spot with Jackson when they just drafted Jaylen Brown. But here we are talking about adding Isaac after drafting Bender so who knows.
Having a good young player in a position should in no way deter you from getting a great young player for that same position. The Suns need to remember that. The Trailblazers passed on Michael Jordan because they already had Clyde Drexler.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

JCSunsfan wrote:
carey wrote:I don't understand why the C's would double up the SF spot with Jackson when they just drafted Jaylen Brown. But here we are talking about adding Isaac after drafting Bender so who knows.
Having a good young player in a position should in no way deter you from getting a great young player for that same position. The Suns need to remember that. The Trailblazers passed on Michael Jordan because they already had Clyde Drexler.
And Jaylen Brown is nowhere near Drexler.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2017 ... as-answers

Who we have and haven't worked out.

Bruiser

Post by Bruiser »

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I think this is probably going to be my final order of preference...

1. Fox
2. Tatum
3. Jackson
4. Ball

I really think Fox is going to be a special player, meaning All-NBA level. Tatum and Jackson are pretty close to me, but I value Tatum's scoring ability more than Jackson's versatility. I'd have Ball higher if it weren't for all the BS surrounding him. That stuff makes me less willing to accept his flaws.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I have a strong feeling that Ball and Jackson will be off the table when it's our turn to pick. Leaving us to choose from Fox, Tatum, and Isaac. Since we haven't worked out Fox, I think we'll be choosing between Tatum and Isaac both of whom we've worked out twice. Which of those two we'll pick I'm not sure but I feel like Tatum has the edge. Congrats, TOO.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ear ... 6539b66a22
The Lakers aren’t the only team interested in Ball, obviously. The Phoenix Suns are looking to trade up from the fourth pick, according to Legion Hoops, in an attempt to pair Ball with Devin Booker.

Kyler further speculated that Ball will end up with either the Lakers, Suns or Kings and likely won’t fall past Sacramento with the No. 5 pick.

https://twitter.com/LegionHoops/status/875919873024573441

"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Superbone wrote:I have a strong feeling that Ball and Jackson will be off the table when it's our turn to pick. Leaving us to choose from Fox, Tatum, and Isaac. Since we haven't worked out Fox, I think we'll be choosing between Tatum and Isaac both of whom we've worked out twice. Which of those two we'll pick I'm not sure but I feel like Tatum has the edge. Congrats, TOO.
Won't believe it til it happens. Isaac is to McD-ish. Raw positionless player, bleh.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Seems like our FO doesn't want to be in the position where Fox is the BPA and we either take him because he's there or take a guy we don't like as much or doesn't fit such as Tatum or Isaac. If Fultz is 1 and Jackson is the Cs guy at 3, that leaves Fox and Ball. If Ball is the Lakers' guy, then its a moot point. If they're on the fence, we'll prob have to overpay for the pick to get it from them.

We could take the chance that the Lakers take Fox at 2 and Ball falls to us at 4 or they take Ball at 2, we take Fox and work out a trade after. Ball hasn't worked out for us tho correct? And what do we do with Bledsoe if we want Ball and Booker in the backcourt? Again, I see a logjam where we go into the season saying "Bledsoe, Booker and Ball are our 3 perimeter players and give us fantastic versatility" blah blah blah.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

ShelC wrote:Seems like our FO doesn't want to be in the position where Fox is the BPA and we either take him because he's there or take a guy we don't like as much or doesn't fit such as Tatum or Isaac. If Fultz is 1 and Jackson is the Cs guy at 3, that leaves Fox and Ball. If Ball is the Lakers' guy, then its a moot point. If they're on the fence, we'll prob have to overpay for the pick to get it from them.

We could take the chance that the Lakers take Fox at 2 and Ball falls to us at 4 or they take Ball at 2, we take Fox and work out a trade after. Ball hasn't worked out for us tho correct? And what do we do with Bledsoe if we want Ball and Booker in the backcourt? Again, I see a logjam where we go into the season saying "Bledsoe, Booker and Ball are our 3 perimeter players and give us fantastic versatility" blah blah blah.
That sounds like a recipe for disaster.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I don't like sound of that, but there is an argument to be made thst it could work. It woulf be worst for Ulis though. Knight has to go if Bledsoe is still around, otherwise Ball could build his value back up.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

According to that Bright Side article I posted, we haven't publicly worked out any point guard. Not Ball, not Fox, not Smith or Ntilikina. No PGs.

I don't know if that means we are set on getting a wing player, or if we want one of the star guards and they just wont talk to us.

Atreides

Post by Atreides »

For me this draft is easy, get Tatum and run, but I'm afraid that Boston really want's him now after the trade. Last year it was Bender who fell to us after they got Brown and now another interesting story is unfolding...
"The falling leaf does hate the wind"

Atreides

Post by Atreides »

O_Gardino wrote:According to that Bright Side article I posted, we haven't publicly worked out any point guard. Not Ball, not Fox, not Smith or Ntilikina. No PGs.

I don't know if that means we are set on getting a wing player, or if we want one of the star guards and they just wont talk to us.
Maybe after all this years they finally realize that more than one star pg is really not necessary on your squad.
"The falling leaf does hate the wind"