Suns News: The Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Suns News: The Offseason

Post by Split T »

I think they just want someone to take the minutes so they don't have to throw Ntilikina to the wolves. Knight actually makes some sense next to Ntilikina too. As long as we're talking 2015 Knight and not last year's version. That version doesn't make sense anywhere.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Split T wrote:I think they just want someone to take the minutes so they don't have to throw Ntilikina to the wolves. Knight actually makes some sense next to Ntilikina too. As long as we're talking 2015 Knight and not last year's version. That version doesn't make sense anywhere.
Shhh!
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

carey

Post by carey »

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... 486549001/
Chriss suffered what Connelly termed a “normal ankle sprain,” was walking around without crutches or a protective boot and is expected to be fully healthy by the start of training camp in late September.

“It looked a lot worse than it was,” Connelly said. “He doesn’t have to do anything more than the normal treatment and rehabilitation process.”

https://twitter.com/NBA/status/887120200222609412

Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

No Wayne Selden on that first team is criminal.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:No Wayne Selden on that first team is criminal.
Agreed
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Split T wrote:I'm not sure what you're looking for as far as power, but he's got more of a power game than Bender. And Chriss doesn't have the perimeter skills to be a SF.
I want strong rolls to the basket, rebounding and defense. Some post offense would be nice too since he is a PF. Supposedly he is a gifted athlete, so he should be displaying some of those traits.

As for Bender, his face to the basket and overall game is much more advanced so I don't suffer from his lack of 'power', especially considering he does defend and pass.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Some thoughts on Len's lack of contract interest.

https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2017 ... -len-front
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Split T wrote:I'm not sure what you're looking for as far as power, but he's got more of a power game than Bender. And Chriss doesn't have the perimeter skills to be a SF.
I want strong rolls to the basket, rebounding and defense. Some post offense would be nice too since he is a PF. Supposedly he is a gifted athlete, so he should be displaying some of those traits.

As for Bender, his face to the basket and overall game is much more advanced so I don't suffer from his lack of 'power', especially considering he does defend and pass.
I guess we just disagree on Bender. His"advanced game" is all on paper right now. Outside of 1.5 summer league games, he's shown nothing and he still can't shoot.

Chriss is a better shooter, rebounder, and rim protector right now. Just seems strange to complain about one of our power forwards lack of power when he has more power than the other one.

azsportsfan

Post by azsportsfan »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:No Wayne Selden on that first team is criminal.
It is probably meant to be a rookie team. Otherwise, what is the point? A second year player should generally dominate (well, guards at least).

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Split T wrote:Just seems strange to complain about one of our power forwards lack of power when he has more power than the other one.
Uhh it was you who brought up Bender. I am more than happy to leave him out of the discussion and focus only on Chriss, although I'll concede that 'advanced' is mainly my projection from the little we've seen in terms of shooting form, apparent IQ and versatility at 7'1.

jonh

Post by jonh »

Interesting read on Bender. I would really like him to take a major step forward this season.

https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2017 ... ns-croatia

Big Jake Little Jake

Post by Big Jake Little Jake »

jonh wrote:Interesting read on Bender. I would really like him to take a major step forward this season.

https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2017 ... ns-croatia
Really well done article, showing complete breakdowns on what makes him special and where he struggles.

He's never going to be a dominant scorer, but if he reaches his potential, he should be a great playmaking forward who can keep defenses honest with the long ball and do a decent job switching on the defensive end.

If you're waiting for him to take over a game with scoring, you're going to be disappointed. That's just not his game, nor is he athletic enough to do it at this level. Hopefully, as the article says, the coaches use him to the best of his abilities and he gets better at reading NBA defenses.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
Split T wrote:Just seems strange to complain about one of our power forwards lack of power when he has more power than the other one.
Uhh it was you who brought up Bender. I am more than happy to leave him out of the discussion and focus only on Chriss, although I'll concede that 'advanced' is mainly my projection from the little we've seen in terms of shooting form, apparent IQ and versatility at 7'1.
I brought him up because you didn't. Chriss gets torn apart on here and everyone seems to love Bender. I feel like Chriss gets punished for being better at basketball than Bender. Bender hardly played last year so he gets s pass. We forget that bender was actually the higher pick and while he's younger, Chriss just barely turned 20 as well. I just wish we gave Chriss as much leeway to develop as a player as we give Bender.

carey

Post by carey »

Split T wrote:I brought him up because you didn't. Chriss gets torn apart on here and everyone seems to love Bender. I feel like Chriss gets punished for being better at basketball than Bender. Bender hardly played last year so he gets s pass. We forget that bender was actually the higher pick and while he's younger, Chriss just barely turned 20 as well. I just wish we gave Chriss as much leeway to develop as a player as we give Bender.
Does he need leeway? I mean, he got minutes instead of leeway from message board posters. We should ask Bender which he'd rather have.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

carey wrote:
Split T wrote:I brought him up because you didn't. Chriss gets torn apart on here and everyone seems to love Bender. I feel like Chriss gets punished for being better at basketball than Bender. Bender hardly played last year so he gets s pass. We forget that bender was actually the higher pick and while he's younger, Chriss just barely turned 20 as well. I just wish we gave Chriss as much leeway to develop as a player as we give Bender.
Does he need leeway? I mean, he got minutes instead of leeway from message board posters. We should ask Bender which he'd rather have.
So because he got 20 minutes a game as 19 year old he doesn't have potential anymore? Bender may end up a better player, none of us really know, but we all seem to have our minds made up on what Chriss is. All I'm saying is let's give him time. It feels like We've got more posters willing to give Len time to develop than we do with Chriss.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Chriss gets punished for being better than Bender?

Chriss gets punished because he is not good at anything (at the moment, granted, but also after having played a whole season unlike, yeah, Bender), displays a questionable attitude on the court and (imo) is not this great athlete we've been told. Being granted minutes from the start by the coach, when he probably didn't deserve them over Bender plays a part, too.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Chriss gets punished for being better than Bender?

Chriss gets punished because he is not good at anything (at the moment, granted, but also after having played a whole season unlike, yeah, Bender), displays a questionable attitude on the court and (imo) is not this great athlete we've been told. Being granted minutes from the start by the coach, when he probably didn't deserve them over Bender plays a part, too.
Let's not pretend like we know better than the coaches. Chriss played because he was better. Bender was awful when he played last year. He showed nothing. Chriss didn't show much but he showed something. He shot 36% from 3 after the all Star break and he has promise as a finisher.

What exactly has Bender shown that Chriss hasn't? He's shown a better understanding of defensive rotations, that's about it.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I've never seen the athleticism with Chriss that others have talked about or we were sold on. I just haven't and I think I've seen enough to know Chriss isn't an above the rim athlete.

carey

Post by carey »

I think I'd rather this guy that Chriss right now. We worked him out at least twice.

[youtube][/youtube]
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

ShelC wrote:I've never seen the athleticism with Chriss that others have talked about or we were sold on. I just haven't and I think I've seen enough to know Chriss isn't an above the rim athlete.
I mean, it's there. There were some incredible finishes and dunks, alley oops and otherwise, last year. The big problem is he has no idea what to do with it when he's not out on the break. That means there's not much that separates him from undrafted rookie DJJ really because he was equally impressive in transition.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!