Suns Summer League 2014

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Danimal

Re: Suns Summer League 2014

Post by Danimal »

Ring_Wanted wrote:I want to see his speed and agility back. If his body responds, I believe he is a sure factor on the boards and altering shots. I can wait on everything else.
Good point

SDC

Post by SDC »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:I think I'm most excited to see if Len shows he's ready to progress. No timid gentle giant crap or fumble fingers, if he's gonna be any good he's gotta dominate in SL to build that confidence. Archie/TJ/Ennis will be fine, they've all shown that instinct and confidence in college (or flashes last year in Archies case) that I'm hoping Len can show this year.
i'm very interested in what Len can show. want to see him get 20 shot attempts at least per game. not as interested in archie or ennis since i already know what archie can do and ennis replaces ish smith.

hope len and warren not on the court at the same time. if that happens, len becomes invisible and warren takes all the shots and becomes one of the top players in teh summer league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

SDC wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:I think I'm most excited to see if Len shows he's ready to progress. No timid gentle giant crap or fumble fingers, if he's gonna be any good he's gotta dominate in SL to build that confidence. Archie/TJ/Ennis will be fine, they've all shown that instinct and confidence in college (or flashes last year in Archies case) that I'm hoping Len can show this year.
i'm very interested in what Len can show. want to see him get 20 shot attempts at least per game. not as interested in archie or ennis since i already know what archie can do and ennis replaces ish smith.

hope len and warren not on the court at the same time. if that happens, len becomes invisible and warren takes all the shots and becomes one of the top players in teh summer league.
They are going to have to learn how to play with each other eventually. You can't go into the summer league with this mentality. Play the best team, the best five players and figure it out. Feed the post, and the wings will get theirs, I'm not worried about that at all. Sometimes you have to tell the guys to look to feed the post whenever they can, but it will depend on the type of play that Lombardi will want to run and what type of things that Hornacek is hoping to see from the rookies.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

It's usually hard for bigs to look good in SL. Usually it's a guard/forward show with little post up opportunities for bigs. At the very least, I want to see Len blocking shots, rebounding, running the floor and finishing.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Speaking about Len:
[youtube]h5coMT6Cr3Y[/youtube]

He is just massive, and if he gets back his legs and jump there is serious defensive potential here.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Enjoyed the highlights. Thanks, RW. Really looking forward to how he plays in SL.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

My only concern with Len's ability to be a quality starting NBA center is his health. Not his game.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

Thanks RW. For someone who's debut season was (rightly) considered a write-off due to injury, there are some really nice highlights there.
I liked the pick when we made it and just hope to see some more of that stuff next season on a more regular basis.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Len is a classic example of a guy you can't judge for a few years after he is drafted. For now? He doesn't get a very good grade. But in a year or two? He could be a valuable contributor. I am going to be watching him and Archie closely this summer.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Even in those highlights, you can see that he needs more muscle. I really hope that he is living in the weight room and court.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

dragickingdom

Post by dragickingdom »

I saw the instagram photo from a week ago or so of Len. He looked like he had already put on some muscle. If he fills out and remains healthy, he should start growing more as a player.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

carey wrote:My only concern with Len's ability to be a quality starting NBA center is his health. Not his game.
I agree. If he is healthy I believe his floor is Portland RoLo, which is a difference maker for them. I get that this is not what you typically expect from a #5 pick but I wouldn't complaint since I didn't have a personal favorite in the 2013 draft.

One thing that needs to happen though is that when Len is on the court his teammates need to actually look for him some. Last year it was like playing 4vs5, Len was basically invisible to the other guys. I don't need him to be the focal point of an offense, but the coaches need to design something to get him the ball often in the SL. Having Ennis should be a big plus for these purposes.

EDC

Post by EDC »

Nothing gets me going more than guards that don't even look down at the post. Suns have been pretty bad at that in the past. Barbosa, Raja and others would just swing the ball around without even a glance down there. Hell even Nash went retarded when trying to throw a pass to Shaq in the post. It really was mind boggling that a guy that good at everything else on the offensive end of the court had so much trouble with that.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

https://twitter.com/NDSUmbb/status/483649675669422082

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

It appears the Plumdog will play this summer after all.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/n ... /11823417/
The Suns will have one of the stronger teams in Las Vegas when play starts July 12 because of their returnees — Archie Goodwin, Alex Len, Miles Plumlee and Dionte Christmas — and their rookies — T.J. Warren, Tyler Ennis and Alec Brown. They also added two Gonzaga players: point guard David Stockton, son of Hall of Famer John Stockton, and Elias Harris, a swingman who was on the Lakers and the same German club that Tucker left for Phoenix.

"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

I thought you were only allowed to play in SL twice? Maybe I'm off on that.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think it's fine. Plumlee is certainly not a finished product, so getting him those minutes is not a bad thing. I just hope they find time for Len to play a lot.

EDC

Post by EDC »

They will probably play them both together which will be nice to see.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Summer Suns: Seth Curry, Elias Harris, Taylor Braun, David Stockton, Alex Oriakhi, Plumlee, Goodwin, Len, Christmas, Warren, Ennis & Brown.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

On paper at least, that's a heck of a summer league team.