Suns News: Preseason 2017

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Suns News: Preseason 2017

Post by Superbone »

jonh wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
OE32 wrote:If Len keeps playing the way he has during preseason, I highly doubt we'd be interested in taking JV's contract. While I'd be curious to see whether we could move Chandler for just a second or two (perhaps after the season), there are simply too many overpaid centers out there... on the bright side, that same fact will make it very hard for Alex to find a decent FA offer. It ain't coming from Brooklyn (Mozgov) or Chicago (Lopez), for instance. Maybe the Hawks will throw some $$$ his way.
The Len situation is the main reason why I think a move for Valanciunas is an interesting idea. I think the odds of Len resigning in Phoenix are very low unless the Suns offer a significantly higher value contract than any other team. That's possible, but I think it's unlikely. By adding Valanciunas this year, we'd have a guy on a pretty reasonable contract for a starting Center for two more years, which should be long enough to find out if Bender is going to cut it as a starter at the position.

I also think the Suns might be able to squeeze another asset out of that deal because Toronto would be shedding salary and contract years. It might just be a pick swap or a 2nd rounder, but I like the potential in the deal from many angles.
Any word on what we offered Len, or what he was wanting/expecting?
We offered him the qualifying offer and he wanted more.
"Be Legendary."

jonh

Re: Suns News: Preseason 2017

Post by jonh »

Superbone wrote:
jonh wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
OE32 wrote:If Len keeps playing the way he has during preseason, I highly doubt we'd be interested in taking JV's contract. While I'd be curious to see whether we could move Chandler for just a second or two (perhaps after the season), there are simply too many overpaid centers out there... on the bright side, that same fact will make it very hard for Alex to find a decent FA offer. It ain't coming from Brooklyn (Mozgov) or Chicago (Lopez), for instance. Maybe the Hawks will throw some $$$ his way.
The Len situation is the main reason why I think a move for Valanciunas is an interesting idea. I think the odds of Len resigning in Phoenix are very low unless the Suns offer a significantly higher value contract than any other team. That's possible, but I think it's unlikely. By adding Valanciunas this year, we'd have a guy on a pretty reasonable contract for a starting Center for two more years, which should be long enough to find out if Bender is going to cut it as a starter at the position.

I also think the Suns might be able to squeeze another asset out of that deal because Toronto would be shedding salary and contract years. It might just be a pick swap or a 2nd rounder, but I like the potential in the deal from many angles.

I actually think the qualifying offer was the final offer after a few multi-year offers were rejected. I was wondering what the multi-year offers were.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

jonh wrote:
Superbone wrote:
jonh wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

I actually think the qualifying offer was the final offer after a few multi-year offers were rejected. I was wondering what the multi-year offers were.
According to McDonough, they offered the QO and then it was up to Len's agent to come up with a counteroffer. That's the last I heard about it.
"Be Legendary."

jonh

Post by jonh »

Oh wow, thats suprising. It really suggests the Suns are willing to move on.

carey

Post by carey »

https://twitter.com/TheMattPetersen/status/920071669963808768

Reluctantly my 3 would be DJJ, Dudley and Chandler in a 9 man rotation. But... I think we will play 10 including Chandler a lot of nights.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

jonh

Post by jonh »

carey wrote:

Reluctantly my 3 would be DJJ, Dudley and Chandler in a 9 man rotation. But... I think we will play 10 including Chandler a lot of nights.
Thats what I would think too. It'll be a 10 man rotation until Chandler/Dudley are traded. Even then, its tough not to see Watson pushing for DJJ to get on the court after all of the talk of him being the most improved player over the offseason.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

One More Tank? Sign Up the Suns

The Phoenix Suns have to be the pick here. They're finally committed to rebuilding, a stance they reiterated by shutting down Tyson Chandler and Eric Bledsoe at the end of 2016-17—and then again, over the summer, when they steered clear of expensive free agents.

This year, they won't do anything other than double down. They're dangling Chandler and Jared Dudley in trade talks, according to ESPN.com's Zach Lowe, and Bledsoe will amble in and out of the rumor mill as well. None of their contracts span past 2019, which allows the Suns to take their time, but their core is about to get more expensive when factoring in an assumed extension for Devin Booker next summer.

Perpetuating this awkward balancing act beyond that deal doesn't make any sense. Once you re-invest centerpiece money into a rookie-scale player, you're obligated to push forward. Dealing vets for cheap prospects, picks and cap space is the invariably smart play, especially because it drums up the value of the Suns' draft choice in June. And with the NBA short on blatant tank jobs, they have the opportunity to get out in front of prospective bottom-feeders and assure themselves one final top-five selection before the lottery protocol shifts and, more notably, their core gets put on the clock.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

carey wrote:

Who will we waive so we can re-sign Ronnie Price later?

Indy

Post by Indy »

Wally_West wrote:
carey wrote:

Who will we waive so we can re-sign Ronnie Price later?
Post of the day.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

LOL +1