Game Day: Lakers (0-1) @ Suns (0-1), Fri 10/20/17

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: Game Day: Lakers (0-1) @ Suns (0-1), Fri 10/20/17

Post by Mori Chu »

Lonzo Ball 29 points, 11 rebounds, 9 assists. Damn. Wow. The shooting is awful, but oh well. They got the W.

I didn't mind this game much, though. Keep it close, show me some promising signs from young guys like Warren and James. Wish some of our bigs would show us more, but that's okay. I would be fine with 81 losses like that one.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I had to endure the Lakers announcers tonight. And I do mean endure. It was rough.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

I was going to hold off on catching up with the game until I could watch the game on my tablet at the gym tonight, but just couldn't resist catching the game thread.

Without actually watching the game, I liked this game because it showed which players had pride and which did not. I love how Booker bounced back from the stomach flu-driven diarrhea that was the first game. It also looked like Bender (and perhaps Blender) looks like one of these players that might change the course of a game without scoring double figures. Jackson seemed to be off to a great start -- love how his shot seems to be looking better every day -- and why did he not get more playing time? And it looked like Warren did his thing, despite the unfortunate misses at the end. That will come with time.

Will reserve judgment on Chriss until I actually watch...if the effort was there even if he made 19-year old mistakes, at least he wouldn't be the emo biyatch he has been all throughout the summer. Mike James also seemed to do well...maybe he is the shooter/finisher we put next to Booker for the time being?

It's clear that Bledsoe and Chandler have no pride in the team, and have checked out altogether. Time to send Bledsoe to a new home and take back the best package, hopefully folks will recognize that he's kind of done here. It sounds like they had a deal worked out with Cleveland and how would you feel if you just endured what was really a 60-point loss at home instead of balling with best buddy LeBron? Same for Chandler, send him to any contender for an expiring contract. Let Dudley be the senior statesman.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

https://twitter.com/FlyByKnite/status/921594506461569024

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:

https://twitter.com/FlyByKnite/status/921594506461569024

Look at that! They're all standing still in unison!
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

1tinsoldier

Post by 1tinsoldier »

virtual9mm wrote: It's clear that Bledsoe and Chandler have no pride in the team, and have checked out altogether..
from what i heard on the radio it sounded like Chandler was engaged and Bledsoe took over the game in the 4th and was key to a nice comeback.

EDC

Post by EDC »

Probably should have benched Chandler and shifted Bender over to center and brought in Jackson. Although then you might have problems rebounding. Chandlers defense on the pick and roll is ugh. Well his help defense in general is pretty bad.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

1tinsoldier wrote:
virtual9mm wrote: It's clear that Bledsoe and Chandler have no pride in the team, and have checked out altogether..
from what i heard on the radio it sounded like Chandler was engaged and Bledsoe took over the game in the 4th and was key to a nice comeback.
Yeah, not entirely sure what bagging on Bledsoe was all about. He clearly wasn't the "problem" tonight.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

EDC wrote:Probably should have benched Chandler and shifted Bender over to center and brought in Jackson. Although then you might have problems rebounding. Chandlers defense on the pick and roll is ugh. Well his help defense in general is pretty bad.
Chandler was fine out there, and Bender would have been eaten alive by Brooks, Bogut or any other center they had. He's been playing really well at pf with Len and Chandler. PnR defense wasn't very good by our centers for sure though.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I hate being around Laker fans in Phx. They are insufferable pricks.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

In2ition wrote:I hate being around Laker fans in Phx. They are insufferable pricks.
This! God damn it, I hate this so much.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

1tinsoldier wrote:
THIS

Not sure, where you come from to say that, they both lead the charge in several moments. Chandler and Len closed the game with 5 fouls and that allowed for several LA baskets driving to the hoop down the stretch, but we needed their rebounding, so we were cornered, still the team did not give up and kept fighting, almost coming back from a double digits deficit late in the fourth, with Bledsoe AND Chandler on the court. Tyson could have easily throw his 6th foul early in the final quarter and called a night, Eric, tried to take over and was successful at it.

Not sure what would be necessary for you, to think they do care.

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

I was at the game tonight. My primary observation - Chandler is an abomination on D at this point. I cant count the number of times he misread plays, blew coverage, or got gobbled up in the paint. So bad. He shouldn't be playing a single minute.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:I hate being around Laker fans in Phx. They are insufferable pricks.
At least it sounded like the Suns fans held their own on the broadcast.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

And it seemed like this game was more well attended than the opener with all the empty seats. At least the Lakers bring out a crowd.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Electricity was off my side so finally got to watching the replay. I use this website for those like me who maybe don't have the option to record the game on TV
https://www.nbafullhd.com/category/aregular-season/

Much better effort like most said and quite a few shady calls by the refs. Tough for TJ but a part of the game which I haven't seen anyone else mention that disappointed me was after the Devin-Nance incident. It happened at the 6min mark with Lakers up 85-83 and these always tend to be key moments to see how the two teams respond to the dust up and Lakers went on a 10-2 run in the next 2mins to lead 95-85. I was hoping we would have been the ones to rally but Lakers lifted their energy and seemed to took the momentum
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

1tinsoldier

Post by 1tinsoldier »

since i only heard it on radio, who was guarding Ball?

n4th4n

Post by n4th4n »

1tinsoldier wrote:since i only heard it on radio, who was guarding Ball?
Bledsoe most of the time.

Split T

Post by Split T »

He was killing us on switches in the 4th.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

They're that way everywhere.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan