Suns Summer League 2014

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Re: Suns Summer League 2014

Post by carey »

One week!
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Robot, you slay me. You're one of a kind. Somehow looking at your Ewok avatar while I read it only makes it funnier.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:One week!
Can't wait!
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

So did anyone catch the Orlando-76rs game?

Here's my recollection:

Aaron Gordon: Athletically looks like a mix between JaVale McGee and Michael Beasley, and I think there are some similarities in their game too. He impacts the defensive end, and runs, just as well as advertised so the makings of that porverbial Marion-like super role player are certainly there. You can easily see his IQ on D.

Offensively he handles the ball, but in the same Beasley did/does: lots of futility, no incisiveness for the most part, and that meant that he usually wouldn't take his man one on one, so he either had to get rid of the ball or take a difficult shot. In the ballhandling area he looked capable of taking advantage of space after some ball movement and can labor to get to the rim, but he needs that advantage first. He favors his right hand heavily. His shot didn't look bad, but he launched mainly in motion. Those are low % shots by definition and he hit none. Just by the looks and manners you'd think he is a superstar.

Noels: If you look at him with favorable eyes he is a KG in the making (partially because of the release of his shot). He showed ability to score in a number of ways, including through contact, with a soft touch around the basket. Good hands. And he makes FTs. On defense he seemed like he can totally live up to his reputation as a shotblocker and a terror in the passing lanes (stole the ball from Dipo once). He didn't look obsessed about blocking everything, though. I'd be worried if I had to run my pick and roll against that guy, if properly coached.

On the downside his legs are still scary slim, and totally lacks strenght to battle inside, which is particularly visible when he tries to rebound on D and score in the paint. He has an akward footwork and seemed to rush his moves, which could look like a sign of fear against pounding in the post.

Elfrid Payton: far from impressive. He did nothing positive offensively and didn't look at all like he can orchestate an O. Picked up his dribbling too soon and got it stolen often. He was just weak and when he tried some one on one, he couldn't get by his guy even once as far as I can remember. Defensively he did a better job. He doesn't take plays out and is always gathering info of what's happening. I liked that, but he needs to do better with the ball in his hands.

KJ McDaniels: he looks like he knows how to take advantage of his athleticism, while playing under control. Could be molded into a nice role player.

Seth Curry: Needs to select better his shots. He can make them, even the really difficult ones, but is a mindless gunner who settles for extemely hard attempts the way Jimmer did with the Kings. He needs to focus on catch and shooting. Let creation to others and just execute. But for now he is the ultimate ball hog/chucker.

Pierre Jackson looked like the best guard out there until he tore his achilles. Very bad break for him. I don't know his contract status, but I have no doubts that he would have made the team. By the way, Oladipo looked like a man among childred, but his body language was like he knew he is in a different class, and wasn't too focused as a result. He tried a lot of tough shots, like step backs that he inevitably bricked.

Who did I really like?
Romero Osby (Orlando): built like a tank, is not afraid at all to use his body and bang, but has a very good touch and range.
Devyn Marble (Orlando): all around scorer, very active.
Robert JR (76rs): very effective, looks like one of those guys who just knows how to contribute to his team.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Thanks for that great report, Ring!

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Nice analysis, Ring.

Noel has reminded me a lot of young Amare or Kenyon Martin so far. Not quite the same explosiveness, but still a super-athlete 4-5 tweener. I could even see him get minutes at the 3 if he ever manages to develop a consistent shot.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Good call on Noel and his jumpshot. It does look a little like KG, and he is going to be a terror out on defense both near the basket and away against ball handlers. He has an exaggerated hitch in his shot though that he needs to get rid of.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Miami-Boston stuff:

Napier struggled. Mightly. He did absolutely nothing positive on offense. Tried on D at least, but if you didn't know who he is, you might as well think that the dude playing 'PG' for the Heat is the player who belonged the least on the court. He showed some flashes though, but he'll need to work hard. I haven't seen the second game but at best right now you have a Jordan Crawford.

Justin Hamilton was the other thing noticeable from the Heat. It's hard to believe that he is 7' 255 and he has all the game of a SF. The guy is extremely fluid for his size. Then again, that could just mean that he is slow, but the thing is that he can create his own stuff from the perimeter, and shoots well. Although some of his shots were just fugly.

The Celtics had Olylyk who was inconsistent and at times looked like a class above the rest and the next thing you know is that he is being pushed around and that he tries two lazy passes. I think his future is clearly the stretch forward, but is a sense it would be a waste because he is pretty skilled.

Smart did basically nothing on offense, but at least he had the ball under control and displayed his strenght, handles and defense. He was at his best using screens, both in pull up shots and pick and roll. Pure one on one he'll be capable of bullying his way to the hole against certain defenders but once he gets there he has no explosion to finish above the rim. Dipo is all that plus exceptional athleticism.

carey

Post by carey »

PGs do not look good early on in Summer League. MCW was pretty awful last year iirc. Rose also struggled his year.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Napier was much better in his second game yesterday.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

The Official Suns' Summer Justice League roster
http://www.nba.com/suns/news/suns-2014- ... -announced

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Wally_West wrote:The Official Suns' Summer Justice League roster
No P.J. Tucker yet - anyone heard a peep on him?

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

SwingMan wrote:
Wally_West wrote:The Official Suns' Summer Justice League roster
No P.J. Tucker yet - anyone heard a peep on him?
I think we will probably hear something within the next day or two when this whole LeBron thing becomes more clear.

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

I can't wait to see what Warren brings to the table. I'm calling it now, he's the steal of this draft.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

No love for Ennis?
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I have this feeling that Goodwin is going to have a Wade like breakout this year.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

In2ition wrote:I have this feeling that Goodwin is going to have a Wade like breakout this year.
Wade-like might be too optimistic, but I agree, I think he surprises a lot of people this season. I can't wait to see him when he puts it all together.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

SDC

Post by SDC »

based on where he is picked, i'd say aaron gordon is the bust of 2014. maybe worse than michael kidd gilchrist.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I don't think so. I like what I've seen from Gordon, so long as you know what you're getting from him. He's much more a basketball player than MKG. Remember, MKG went 2nd overall.

TOO

Post by TOO »

According to reports, Len has added 10lbs of muscle, which is A LOT in 1 season. That kind of gain happens to people that have never lifted a day in their life :lol: