Donald "Piece of Crap" Sterling at it again

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Shabazz

Re: Donald "Piece of Crap" Sterling at it again

Post by Shabazz »

Phoenix219 wrote:Everyone is defending Magic for Sterling's "attack" - "he made a mistake! he's just human!" but don't like applying that same excuse to Sterling. And why is Lebron's opinion on league matters "news" ?? Magic is far from a good role model, and both Barkley and Jordan have been quoted saying incredibly racist things, themselves. There is no consistancy anywhere..... but what else is new?
I tried reading this 3 times and understood it less each time. What point are you trying to make?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Shabazz wrote:
Phoenix219 wrote:Everyone is defending Magic for Sterling's "attack" - "he made a mistake! he's just human!" but don't like applying that same excuse to Sterling. And why is Lebron's opinion on league matters "news" ?? Magic is far from a good role model, and both Barkley and Jordan have been quoted saying incredibly racist things, themselves. There is no consistancy anywhere..... but what else is new?
I tried reading this 3 times and understood it less each time. What point are you trying to make?
Lol, me too.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

SDC

Post by SDC »

grabs popcorn...

Mrs. Sterling threatens NBA Owner Armageddon
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/13/sport ... story.html
NYT: Have you spoken with any other N.B.A. owners since your husband’s suspension was announced?

Mrs. Sterling: No, I haven’t. But I often wonder: If the wife of one of the owners had done this, and if the roles were reversed, would they take the team away from the man? Is it something sexist? Is it the man’s club? The owners are afraid of their own issues. Because I’m sure if anybody goes into all their records, they have skeletons in their closets. ...

O’DONNELL: The situation here from a legal perspective is unprecedented. No professional sports league has ever terminated an owner’s interest involuntarily. And what Mark Cuban, the owner of the Dallas Mavericks, means when he refers to a “slippery slope” is that if they can do it to Shelly Sterling, they can do it to any other owner. And that invokes a precedent that could then be cited. I’m sure other owners have said things in private. We’ve had owners who have taken anti-civil rights stands on certain issues over the years. So is there dirty laundry? When the owners think about this in the quiet of their thoughts, and they have to render a vote, they have to think about the implications of it.

NYT: So if you sue the N.B.A., would you depose other owners and their team personnel?

O’DONNELL: I’d certainly be entitled to discovery. Any fair administrative process would allow us to get discovery. And I want to know a lot of different things about the records of the N.B.A. and what information they have about the conduct or misconduct of other owners that was not acted upon. The N.B.A. is as much at risk as Mr. Sterling to have this whole thing aired publicly. So it’s not risk-free for either side. To answer your question, of course I’ll ask for discovery. But it’s in everybody’s best interests to avoid Armageddon.
cant wait for dirt on prokhorov and sarver. i bet vladimir putin has wiretapped conversations of prokhorov.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Shabazz wrote:
It's all about double standards based, ironically, on skin color.

carey

Post by carey »

Of course there's a double standard. Black people didn't enslave white people for over 350 years. It was the other way around. There will always be a double standard.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

carey wrote:Of course there's a double standard. Black people didn't enslave white people for over 350 years. It was the other way around. There will always be a double standard.
.....and white people neither put them on the market over 400 years ago nor were they the only slave owners.

"Blame Whitey" has long since played out, carey - time to quit justifying the hate.....

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

P219: Watch this video. Sterling is looney tunes. The things he says are horrible. He just doesn't get it. He's on national TV supposedly trying to repair his image, and he just keeps digging himself deeper. Really watch this video and listen to it. Are you honestly saying that there is any comparison between Sterling and Magic? That there should be some kind of "consistency" between how we view these two guys?

It wasn't mentioned very much in this video, but the most ridiculous part of it all is that Magic Johnson actually does a TON for other people, including the poor and ethnic minorities. He and his business partners have gone into a lot of poor crime-ridden communities and started opening franchises of established classy businesses, like restaurants and movie theaters and shopping malls. He has given jobs to lots of people and raised the standard of living in several communities. It's ludicrous to say that Magic doesn't do anything to help black people. Sterling is just flat out wrong. To say nothing of all the work Magic does to raise awareness and funding for HIV/AIDS research, on and on and on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_John ... _the_court

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Mori Chu wrote:P219: Watch this video. Sterling is looney tunes. The things he says are horrible. He just doesn't get it. He's on national TV supposedly trying to repair his image, and he just keeps digging himself deeper. Really watch this video and listen to it. Are you honestly saying that there is any comparison between Sterling and Magic? That there should be some kind of "consistency" between how we view these two guys?

It wasn't mentioned very much in this video, but the most ridiculous part of it all is that Magic Johnson actually does a TON for other people, including the poor and ethnic minorities. He and his business partners have gone into a lot of poor crime-ridden communities and started opening franchises of established classy businesses, like restaurants and movie theaters and shopping malls. He has given jobs to lots of people and raised the standard of living in several communities. It's ludicrous to say that Magic doesn't do anything to help black people. Sterling is just flat out wrong. To say nothing of all the work Magic does to raise awareness and funding for HIV/AIDS research, on and on and on.

So - if one "pays their dues", so to speak, that gives them license to hate?

Doesn't matter who it is or what kind of status they hold - racism is wrong.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Swing: I don't understand what you are referring to. Are you saying Magic Johnson hates someone? If that's what you mean, then what did he do/say that upsets you? Maybe I am not reading you properly.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

SwingMan wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:P219: Watch this video. Sterling is looney tunes. The things he says are horrible. He just doesn't get it. He's on national TV supposedly trying to repair his image, and he just keeps digging himself deeper. Really watch this video and listen to it. Are you honestly saying that there is any comparison between Sterling and Magic? That there should be some kind of "consistency" between how we view these two guys?

Who is arguing to the contrary??? Is someone saying "Racism is good?"

I think you (and 219) are pulling nuance and context out of the argument when it requires plenty of both. Michael Jordan saying that when he was a 14 year old kid he hated all white people because of the racism he experienced is very different than a grown man and known slumlord saying he doesn't want his girlfriend associating with black people in public because they're inferior as a class.

There's no double standard here. Just context and nuance. We're all in agreement that what Sterling said was awful and that he's a scumbag, so why are people in such a rush to find sound-bites from black people from 8 years ago to draw parallels and support a "double standard" argument that has no relevance here?

I just don't get it.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Shabazz wrote:
SwingMan wrote:

I think you (and 219) are pulling nuance and context out of the argument when it requires plenty of both. Michael Jordan saying that when he was a 14 year old kid he hated all white people because of the racism he experienced is very different than a grown man and known slumlord saying he doesn't want his girlfriend associating with black people in public because they're inferior as a class.

There's no double standard here. Just context and nuance. We're all in agreement that what Sterling said was awful and that he's a scumbag, so why are people in such a rush to find sound-bites from black people from 8 years ago to draw parallels and support a "double standard" argument that has no relevance here?

I just don't get it.
Couldn't agree more 'Bazz.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Shabazz wrote:
SwingMan wrote:

I just don't get it.
Just saying that everyone, regardless of race, ought to be held equally accountable, is all.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Has anybody been watching the Sterling interview on Anderson Cooper? It's pathetic but the thing that bugs me the most is I want to shave off that hair that is coming out of Sterling's left cheek. :lol:
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

SDC

Post by SDC »

Superbone wrote:Has anybody been watching the Sterling interview on Anderson Cooper? It's pathetic but the thing that bugs me the most is I want to shave off that hair that is coming out of Sterling's left cheek. :lol:
he even dyed his hair for the interview. looks weird.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I can't believe him. I mean, if he's doing the interview ostensibly to help repair his image, why does he:

a) not really apologize, or give half-assed conditional apologies that are always a cowardly move (" *IF* I did something wrong, then I'm sorry")?

b) almost immediately start ripping on black people again at the most minimal of prompting? "Has -any- African-American, ... well, no, I won't say it." And ripping on Magic Johnson in particular? "Has he done everything he could for minorities? I don't think so."

It's ridiculous. He's a walking disaster. I can't believe his advisors let him on camera.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The guy doesn't seem to have any common sense. I don't understand how he made all those billions.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

SDC

Post by SDC »

now the clips and sterling can have all the time in the world to talk about wiretaps and racism.

http://variety.com/2014/biz/news/donald ... 201183067/

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Swing: I don't understand. If a person hosts a private party, can't they invite anybody they want? Do you invite black people over to your house when you throw a party?

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Mori Chu wrote:Swing: I don't understand. If a person hosts a private party, can't they invite anybody they want? Do you invite black people over to your house when you throw a party?
Yep - like an NBA owner can say what they want to say in their private residence. Only, Sterling's remarks were illegally recorded and leaked to any media outlet that would have it by a $2 piece of gold-digging snatch.

Stop trying to turn it on me when I expose the undeniable double standards, Mori - a racist is a racist no matter the color of their skin. And Jay-Z owned the Nets at the time, did he not? Where's the outrage there?