Game Day: Suns (8-13) @ Bulls (11-6), Mon 12/7/15

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
AmareIsGod

Re: Game Day: Suns (8-13) @ Bulls (11-6), Mon 12/7/15

Post by AmareIsGod »

Indy wrote:
I think Booker has a better off the dribble game then Klay had early in his career and is better finishing at the rim, playing to contact instead of trying to avoid and missing the layup (like so many young players). He doesn't finish explosive at the rim, though he's barely 19 going against guys with established and developed NBA bodies. He's similar to a Michael Redd with post multiple surgery, late career (with the Suns) Grant Hill finishing abilities.
All of that after 252 minutes of playing time? The kid has played the equivalent of about 7 games in his career (if you figure 35 mpg). Let's give it time before we anoint him. I love him too, but to quote QT, let's not go sucking eachothers dicks just yet.
Okay. Well then, early indications in limited minutes point to no comparisons. He's Devin Booker. He's made a good % of 3's and some layups. Looked good but it's too soon to compare him to anyone.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

Agreed! But man, he could turn out to be the next savior. :P

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Let's hope. We could really use a rising star on our roster. A player that the fan base can really be excited about.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

AmareIsGod wrote:Let's hope. We could really use a rising star on our roster. A player that the fan base can really be excited about.
Besides the guys in your signature, that is.

pickle

Post by pickle »

I like everything Booker's done. I wish he were a little more aggressive looking for contact on his drives to the hoop, but other than that, there's really nothing I can complain about. He's not super athletic with tarantula arms, but he plays within his physical abilities and the lack of athleticism, if he can continue to churn out production once defenses start focusing more on him, only means that he will have a longer and more stable career. As for the defense though, I have seen some stats saying that he's only been contested on a very small number of three pointers he's taken, which he's still hit at a respectable rate, but more so he's been left wide open. So, yes, love his production, but it's only to be expected that it will come down a bit. Even Jeremy Lin put up 38 points on the Lakers...

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Making 71% on threes is nuts, regardless of how or when. So far just 18 games and all, but if this lasts enough to build a real reputation, soon Booker will have the gravitational pulse of a Kyle Korver or a Klay and the JJ Redick comparison will fall short.

gosuns

Post by gosuns »

Indy wrote:Agreed! But man, he could turn out to be the next savior. :P
He must be our savior because:

His Birthday is the same as Diego (starts with a D like Devin) Armando (starts with an A like Armani) Maradona (Has no resemblense whatsoever with Booker) and it's also the same as mine (which must mean somethin right :lol: )

Indy

Post by Indy »

gosuns wrote:

His Birthday is the same as Diego (starts with a D like Devin) Armando (starts with an A like Armani) Maradona (Has no resemblense whatsoever with Booker) and it's also the same as mine (which must mean somethin right :lol: )
Same day as mine too, so that clearly means something.

gosuns

Post by gosuns »

Indy wrote:
gosuns wrote:

Same day as mine too, so that clearly means something.
Amazing! So I was born on the same day as Indiana Jones. Wow.

His nickname should be "the shooting hand of god." Maradona refered to the hand he used to score a goal at the World Cup 1986 vs England as the hand of god.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I don't care how many games into his rookie year it is. What he has shown so far has been unbelievable for a just turned 19-year-old. He's got the poise of a 27-year-old vet. It appears that the game has already slowed down for him.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

pickle

Post by pickle »

Superbone wrote:I don't care how many games into his rookie year it is. What he has shown so far has been unbelievable for a just turned 19-year-old. He's got the poise of a 27-year-old vet. It appears that the game has already slowed down for him.
I love the kid as much as the next guy, and I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer here, but I guess I tend not to let my optimism rise too quickly and just be pleasantly surprised when he outperforms my expectations.

I think Booker is already a smooth and deadly shooter, I love the 3 pointer percentage as well. I think he has a lot of confidence in his outside shot, but as I've seen and mentioned elsewhere, his drive to the basket is a little bit tentative and I wish he would seek out more contact rather than try to shoot around it. He has demonstrated a great willingness to pass and some ability to do so on a limited basis, but the majority of his assists are not the "find a teammate in traffic for a better shot" type but rather the "swinging the ball around the perimeter and happen to hit a guy who launched a shot that went in" type.

Again, I love the kid, and I'm happy to see the willingness to pass and generally low turnover totals despite his pass volume (I don't have stats, this is just the eye-test). But I'm not ready to declare him a combo guard quite yet. Let him excel at what he does as a 2 guard, continue to prove that he can shoot against tougher defense, and cut and drive more. I'd rather have a complete shooting guard before developing the passing skills.

I'm very pleased at his effort on the defensive end. To me that is more of a positive than anything else. He may not be a lock down defender yet, but his willingness to bang bodies at that end makes me think we have a kid who knows what the important aspects of basketball are.

Indy

Post by Indy »

He has demonstrated a great willingness to pass and some ability to do so on a limited basis, but the majority of his assists are not the "find a teammate in traffic for a better shot" type but rather the "swinging the ball around the perimeter and happen to hit a guy who launched a shot that went in" type.
Did you like the no-look, over-his-head pass to Len after pulling his defender with him into the paint?

Cap

Post by Cap »

Indy wrote:
He has demonstrated a great willingness to pass and some ability to do so on a limited basis, but the majority of his assists are not the "find a teammate in traffic for a better shot" type but rather the "swinging the ball around the perimeter and happen to hit a guy who launched a shot that went in" type.
Did you like the no-look, over-his-head pass to Len after pulling his defender with him into the paint?
That was INSANE!

Pity it didn't count for an assist, but we got the two points.
Last edited by Cap on Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
Indy wrote:
That was INSANE!
Especially for a 19.1 year old who only played 1 year (as a back up!) of college ball and never played oversees.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Especially for a 19.1 year old who only played 1 year (as a back up!) of college ball and never played oversees.
Who cares who oversees him; he's a blue chipper! :-)

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
Who cares who oversees him; he's a blue chipper! :-)
:lol:
Thank you for that. I refuse to fix it.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

:)

pickle

Post by pickle »

Indy wrote:
Yeah I did. That was great. I changed my mind in the next game day thread. What can I say, I'm fickle...

Indy

Post by Indy »

You should change your name to The Fickle Pickle.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Note the caps. ;)