Suns News: The Offseason (2016)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Sunsfan4life

Re: Suns News: The Offseason (2016)

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:Yay, SF4L has a non-broken-link avatar image! About time. :-)

The broken avatar fit the feeling of the team last yr. haha.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

SDC wrote:since the team has signed barbosa, i believe the suns should go with this starting lineup

bleds, knight, booker, warren, chandler

Don't like it. Keep Devin at the 2. Have Knight run the 2nd unit. They'll be enough mins for him.

Another positive about the Dudley signing is I heard him and Knight are pretty close. Think he can help talk Knight into buying into his role if he's still here.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

I want Tyler Ulis to find mins. I don't think it will happen til after the deadline where a Tucker/Knight are moved, but I want them to give that kid an opportunity to succeed. I said it before, but he may already be the best decision maker on the roster, Has built in chemistry with Book, and I think would really thrive with Dudley as a stretch 4. Ball Movement will be at its best with Ulis in. I'm high on Ulis.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

So now that the Suns signed all three draft picks, that should end any rumors of putting them in a trade for Westbrook or anyone else right now.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

John Jenkins' minimum salary becomes guaranteed if he's still on the roster Monday.

Any thoughts? I think he's certainly worth the minimum salary - he's still young and has some upside since he can shoot the ball.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

The Bobster wrote:John Jenkins' minimum salary becomes guaranteed if he's still on the roster Monday.

Any thoughts? I think he's certainly worth the minimum salary - he's still young and has some upside since he can shoot the ball.
I like Jenkins, bu we don't have any minutes for him. We have 5 guys who play SG. So I'd like to see him go somewhere he at least has a hope of getting some burn, and I'd like us to bring in an old guy to practice and mentor. Ronnie Price.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

I don't know why you don't keep him on the roster. There is no way we get through half the season with either A) Our main guards healthy, or B) A trade. And he seems like a good asset to have.

Cap

Post by Cap »

O_Gardino wrote:
The Bobster wrote:John Jenkins' minimum salary becomes guaranteed if he's still on the roster Monday.

I like Jenkins, bu we don't have any minutes for him. We have 5 guys who play SG. So I'd like to see him go somewhere he at least has a hope of getting some burn, and I'd like us to bring in an old guy to practice and mentor. Ronnie Price.
You still want to resign Price, even after signing Barbs?

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Cap wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:

I want to sign someone who knows that their contribution is not on the court, but in the locker room. Price seems to be already thinking bout his first coaching job, and he seems to have the respect of the team.

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Cap wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:

I want to sign someone who knows that their contribution is not on the court, but in the locker room. Price seems to be already thinking bout his first coaching job, and he seems to have the respect of the team.
I would not mind seeing Price added to the coaching staff. Obviously, it would be a big difference in pay for him, though.

Cap

Post by Cap »

O_Gardino wrote:
Cap wrote: You still want to resign Price, even after signing Barbs?
I want to sign someone who knows that their contribution is not on the court, but in the locker room.
I'm fairly confident that Barbs signed with that understanding. He is at best the 4th guard in the rotation after Bledsoe, Knight and Booker. If Ulis or Goodwin is ready to command playing time, he could be 5th or even 6th.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I think we can honestly say that Goodwin is not a part of our future. Even if he has the ability to play, we seem to have decided he isn't part of the future.

Cap

Post by Cap »

You're probably right about Goodwin.

But we're pretty excited about Ulis. So Barbs will be the 4th or 5th guard in the rotation, depending on how much we want to play Ulis. The contract Barbs signed suggests he understands that.

FWIW, 538's CARMELO ratings predict both Barbs and Ulis to have negative VORP this season.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Cap wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Cap wrote: You still want to resign Price, even after signing Barbs?
I want to sign someone who knows that their contribution is not on the court, but in the locker room.
I'm fairly confident that Barbs signed with that understanding. He is at best the 4th guard in the rotation after Bledsoe, Knight and Booker. If Ulis or Goodwin is ready to command playing time, he could be 5th or even 6th.
On a 15 person roster, I need 4ish players who have that understanding. That could possibly be Barbosa (coming off a great playoffs), it could possibly be Williams who may just be happy to be on a roster (despite his hustle that should earn him a look).

I just don't like to bury young talent, and I value veteran leadership.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Here are CARMELO's projected WARPS for our guys (including Price, though I don't expect to resign him):

+5.0 Bledsoe
+3.3 Knight
+2.3 Tucker
+1.8 Chandler
+1.5 Dudley
+0.9 Warren
+0.5 Booker
+0.4 Len
-0.0 Price
-0.2 Ulis
-0.2 Barbosa
-0.3 Jenkins
-0.3 Goodwin
-0.4 Chriss

Not evaluated: Bender, Williams
Last edited by Cap on Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:You're probably right about Goodwin.

But we're pretty excited about Ulis. So Barbs will be the 4th or 5th guard in the rotation, depending on how much we want to play Ulis. The contract Barbs signed suggests he understands that.

FWIW, 538's CARMELO ratings predict both Barbs and Ulis to have negative VORP this season.
That is not surprising to me. Hoensly, Barbs is most effective when someone gets him the ball in the corner for a 3, or cutting to basket from the corner for an easy layup. Nobody on this team has shown an ability to distribute like that. And Ulis is a 2nd round pick. I would expect nearly all of them have a negative VORP their first year in the league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Everybody likes to complain about Devin Booker's defense but I say... Don't judge a Book by its cover.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:Everybody likes to complain about Devin Booker's defense but I say... Don't judge a Book by its cover.
[youtube][/youtube]

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Cap wrote:Here are CARMELO's projected WARPS for our guys (including Price, though I don't expect to resign him):

+5.0 Bledsoe
+3.3 Knight
+2.3 Tucker
+1.8 Chandler
+1.5 Dudley
+0.5 Booker
+0.4 Len
-0.0 Price
-0.2 Ulis
-0.2 Barbosa
-0.3 Jenkins
-0.3 Goodwin
-0.4 Chriss

Not evaluated: Bender, Williams
Even 538 forgets about TJ. :cry:

Indy

Post by Indy »

OE32 wrote:
Cap wrote:Here are CARMELO's projected WARPS for our guys (including Price, though I don't expect to resign him):

+5.0 Bledsoe
+3.3 Knight
+2.3 Tucker
+1.8 Chandler
+1.5 Dudley
+0.9 Warren
+0.5 Booker
+0.4 Len
-0.0 Price
-0.2 Ulis
-0.2 Barbosa
-0.3 Jenkins