Suns News: The Offseason (2016)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Cap

Re: Suns News: The Offseason (2016)

Post by Cap »

That was my fault, not 538's. I've edited the correction into the post.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Indy wrote:
OE32 wrote:
Cap wrote:Here are CARMELO's projected WARPS for our guys (including Price, though I don't expect to resign him):

+9.9 Warren
+5.0 Bledsoe
+3.3 Knight
+2.3 Tucker
+1.8 Chandler
+1.5 Dudley
+0.5 Booker
+0.4 Len
-0.0 Price
-0.2 Ulis
-0.2 Barbosa
-0.3 Jenkins
-0.3 Goodwin
-0.4 Chriss

Not evaluated: Bender, Williams
Even 538 forgets about TJ. :cry:
There you go, OE.
There. Fixed it.

Indy

Post by Indy »

OE32 wrote:
Indy wrote:
OE32 wrote:
Cap wrote:Here are CARMELO's projected WARPS for our guys (including Price, though I don't expect to resign him):

+9.9 Warren
+5.0 Bledsoe
+3.3 Knight
+2.3 Tucker
+1.8 Chandler
+1.5 Dudley
+0.5 Booker
+0.4 Len
-0.0 Price
-0.2 Ulis
-0.2 Barbosa
-0.3 Jenkins
-0.3 Goodwin
-0.4 Chriss

Not evaluated: Bender, Williams
Even 538 forgets about TJ. :cry:
There you go, OE.
There. Fixed it.
Since I am still sporting Mr. Banks' face, how about you put your avatar where you mouth is on that. :P

Cap

Post by Cap »

"Chris looks like Lance Blanks." Say that five times fast.

Cap

Post by Cap »

The interesting decision to give Ulis a contract like a late first-round pick casts the Chriss trade in a slightly different light.

I suspect that if we had traded #34 instead of #28, we would likely have picked Ulis at #28. So we ended up with the same player on the same contract. Which means that from our perspective, it worked out the same as if we had traded #34 instead of #28.

So, effectively, the costs of moving up from #13 to #8 was Bogdan, #34, and the future DET 2nd-rounder. "Bogdan and two 2nds" sounds a little cheaper than "Bogdan, a 1st and a 2nd."

carey

Post by carey »

Dudley presser right now: http://www.nba.com/suns/now
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

Cap wrote:I suspect that if we had traded #34 instead of #28, we would likely have picked Ulis at #28. So we ended up with the same player on the same contract. Which means that from our perspective, it worked out the same as if we had traded #34 instead of #28.

So, effectively, the costs of moving up from #13 to #8 was Bogdan, #34, and the future DET 2nd-rounder. "Bogdan and two 2nds" sounds a little cheaper than "Bogdan, a 1st and a 2nd."
I wonder if it is that or more that it is cost certainty. They have faith that he will be a rotation level player and don't want to deal with the bullshit Gilbert Arenas contract rules in 2-3 years. You get him for 4 years if you want at minimal expense when the cap is $100+ Million.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Cap

Post by Cap »

carey wrote:
Cap wrote:I suspect that if we had traded #34 instead of #28, we would likely have picked Ulis at #28. So we ended up with the same player on the same contract. Which means that from our perspective, it worked out the same as if we had traded #34 instead of #28.

I wonder if it is that or more that it is cost certainty. They have faith that he will be a rotation level player and don't want to deal with the bullshit Gilbert Arenas contract rules in 2-3 years. You get him for 4 years if you want at minimal expense when the cap is $100+ Million.
I didn't mean to suggest anything about the reason they gave Ulis the contract they did. I'm just pointing out we ended up with the same result we probably would have ended up with by trading 34 instead of 28, and that might affect how we view the trade.

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:

I think that is exactly why they did it.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Cap wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:
Cap wrote: You still want to resign Price, even after signing Barbs?
I want to sign someone who knows that their contribution is not on the court, but in the locker room.
I'm fairly confident that Barbs signed with that understanding. He is at best the 4th guard in the rotation after Bledsoe, Knight and Booker. If Ulis or Goodwin is ready to command playing time, he could be 5th or even 6th.
I don't see why Barbosa would agree to that. Why would he go from being a key reserve on a 73-win team to riding the bench on a rebuilding team?
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Gladiator

Post by Gladiator »

carey wrote:Dudley presser right now: http://www.nba.com/suns/now
Thanks for that. Dudley spoke very impressively and seems genuinely excited to be back and at the prospect of mentoring the younger Suns

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Yep, great press conference. Dudley is going to be great for this locker room and on the court.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

Indy wrote:
carey wrote:

Oh absolutely this is why. Rookie contracts are really valuable and McD like to maintain control over players as long as possible. That's why he was willing to trade for restricted free agents in Bledsoe and Knight. Ultimately he maintained control.

Indy

Post by Indy »

JCSunsfan wrote:
Indy wrote:
carey wrote:

Oh absolutely this is why. Rookie contracts are really valuable and McD like to maintain control over players as long as possible. That's why he was willing to trade for restricted free agents in Bledsoe and Knight. Ultimately he maintained control.
Another example of a poor decision by the FO. There was no need to waste resources to "maintain control" of Brandon Knight. Two teams gave up on him during his rookie contract. That says a lot.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

But Indy, look at the deals being handed out now. Knight is being paid peanuts! Plus he has so much potential as a great sixth man!

carey

Post by carey »

Knight has officially reached "Doris Diaw" levels of hatred around here. He probably needs to go succeed (or fail) somewhere else now because there's no coming back.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Cap

Post by Cap »

INF, did you see the summer league game? Given your strong feeling about the draft, I'm curious to know what you think after seeing Bender, Chriss and Ulis in action.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Cap wrote:INF, did you see the summer league game? Given your strong feeling about the draft, I'm curious to know what you think after seeing Bender, Chriss and Ulis in action.
Watching it right now.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

INFORMER wrote:But Indy, look at the deals being handed out now. Knight is being paid peanuts! Plus he has so much potential as a great sixth man!
Hype man flava flaaaaaaaaav!!!!!!!!!

Indy

Post by Indy »

Bender and Chriss seem like they are quite a ways away from being average NBA players. But I would expect that of anyone that young. I did see some good flashes from both. I really liked Bender's effort/desire on defense. He seems to take it personally. Chriss seems very athletic, but not strong. He needs to fill out his body. I just hope for lots of playing time for both this year, and see how they develop.

Ulis seems like he could play in the league today. That guy knows what to do with the ball.