2018 NBA Draft Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
n4th4n

Re: 2018 NBA Draft Thread

Post by n4th4n »

O_Gardino wrote:While JJJ and Trae are dropping on people's draft boards, Mikal just keeps getting better.

[youtube][/youtube]
Bridges is the real deal and his game is perfectly suited for the modern NBA. In theory, we couldn't draft him because we are so loaded on the wings, but I would swap TJ for Bridges in an instant.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

In an instant!
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

O_Gardino wrote:
Cap wrote:Everybody keeps saying Payton needs to cut his hair. Would it be possible to somehow tie it back during games so he doesn't have to cut it?
You would have to ask a physicist. I'm not qualified to predict the behavior of that phenomenon.
Can you hope to hold back "The Wave"?
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

virtual9mm wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
It’s why I don’t want to resign Payton.
I'm arriving at the conclusion as well. His distributing is nice, and he can stuff the stat sheet, but his lack of 3-point shooting and his inability to defend really makes investing substantial money in him a non-starter for me.
Agreed.
Building a basketball team is rarely around finding 12 perfect players, it is more often about finding pieces that fit together well. And the Suns have multiple holes to fill. Why can't the Suns simply tell Payton that they'll match an RFA contract or offer something along the lines of MLE or a bit higher -- provided that he cut his hair to a reasonable length (which would presumably improve his 3p%)?

Despite his limitations, I'd much rather have Payton at 12 mil than Bledsoe even at the same price. I'm tired of chucker PGs and my first and foremost priority is one that plays pass-first. I'm not sure what pass-first PGs are even available except for Doncic at 1/2.
I could live with Payton at the same price as TJ Warren. That's not bad. Cheaper than Bled and Knight, with superior production to Knight (whom I never expect to see in a Suns uniform again)

Guys who can post triple doubles don't grow on trees. Production wise, he's a starting caliber point guard. What is killing us is:

1. Distribution (Payton addresses this)

3. 3 point shooting. Payton doesn't help, but put him out there with a SF/PF/C that can hit the 3, the offense will be more than fine. (Sadly, Jackson and Warren are terrible 3 point shooters, and Bender acts like someone is holding his mother hostage at an undisclosed location and will kill her if he takes too many shots).

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Brandon Knight gets one more chance as a backup in my book. Watson was a horrible coach.
Wormwood wrote:
virtual9mm wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
I'm arriving at the conclusion as well. His distributing is nice, and he can stuff the stat sheet, but his lack of 3-point shooting and his inability to defend really makes investing substantial money in him a non-starter for me.
Agreed.
Building a basketball team is rarely around finding 12 perfect players, it is more often about finding pieces that fit together well. And the Suns have multiple holes to fill. Why can't the Suns simply tell Payton that they'll match an RFA contract or offer something along the lines of MLE or a bit higher -- provided that he cut his hair to a reasonable length (which would presumably improve his 3p%)?

Despite his limitations, I'd much rather have Payton at 12 mil than Bledsoe even at the same price. I'm tired of chucker PGs and my first and foremost priority is one that plays pass-first. I'm not sure what pass-first PGs are even available except for Doncic at 1/2.
I could live with Payton at the same price as TJ Warren. That's not bad. Cheaper than Bled and Knight, with superior production to Knight (whom I never expect to see in a Suns uniform again)

Guys who can post triple doubles don't grow on trees. Production wise, he's a starting caliber point guard. What is killing us is:

3. 3 point shooting. Payton doesn't help, but put him out there with a SF/PF/C that can hit the 3, the offense will be more than fine. (Sadly, Jackson and Warren are terrible 3 point shooters, and Bender acts like someone is holding his mother hostage at an undisclosed location and will kill her if he takes too many shots).
Maybe the right move is to sign Payton, package TJ Warren + MIA/MIL draft picks + Chriss to move up and grab someone like JJJ, and also grab Ayton/Doncic with the Suns' own pick.

PG: Payton/Knight/Ulis
SG: Booker/Knight
SF: Josh Jackson
PF: Doncic/Bender
C: JJJ/Bender

OR

PG: Payton/Knight/Ulis
SG: Booker/Knight
SF: Josh Jackson
PF: JJJ/Bender
C: Ayton/Bender

I hesitate to trade TJ Warren + MIA/MIL + Chriss for any pick outside the top 2, though. A 20 ppg scorer + 2 mid 1st rounders in a deep draft + Chriss is a king's ransom. If TJ Warren develops a 3 pt shot, that becomes a horrible trade.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

O_Gardino wrote:
Superbone wrote:
virtual9mm wrote:I'd much rather have Payton at 12 mil than Bledsoe even at the same price.
That's a no brainer. The question is if we can get somebody better. I do agree that for Payton to become a better shooter, he's going to have to cut that hair and work on his shot. It needs more arc.
Like you guys said, it's just a mater of finding someone better or getting him on a reasonable enough contract.

Cutting his hair would help in every aspect of the game, because he would be able to SEE.
Well, I've decided I am all good with his hair until after free agency this summer. It will probably get us a better deal in signing him.

JCSunsfan

Post by JCSunsfan »

This draft is going to be interesting. There are the hyped players and then the players that are really good but under the radar.
Doncic vs Mikal Bridges. Bridges defense is excellent.
Jaren Jackson vs Wendell Carter. Carter is bigger, stronger, better shooter from everywhere, better rebounder. He is just not as mobile.
Young vs Sexton. Sexton is clearly the better athlete, while Young has the more developed skills.
Atyon vs. oh, I don' know, Bamba. Strength vs length.
Porter vs Bagley. Porter could be much better if healthy.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Wormwood wrote:
virtual9mm wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
INFORMER wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Agreed.

Yep. To me it all comes down to money and how much he wants.

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

n4th4n wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:While JJJ and Trae are dropping on people's draft boards, Mikal just keeps getting better.

[youtube][/youtube]
Bridges is the real deal and his game is perfectly suited for the modern NBA. In theory, we couldn't draft him because we are so loaded on the wings, but I would swap TJ for Bridges in an instant.
Bridges reminds me of a slightly smaller Rudy Gay.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

https://twitter.com/sbordow/status/970760086435004416

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Wormwood wrote: Guys who can post triple doubles don't grow on trees. Production wise, he's a starting caliber point guard. What is killing us is:
THIS. As long as we are not counting on Payton as part of our Top 3 players, he will do great producing from the point playing off our Stars. Right now he is already taking advantage from Booker, Warren and even Jackson as focus points, and actively tries to involve everyone, he is growing on me.

Wormwood wrote: Bender acts like someone is holding his mother hostage at an undisclosed location and will kill her if he takes too many shots).
:lol:

Hilarious!!!

I loved when you mix it up with humor Wormwood, it balances the usual bluntness on your posts. :lol:

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

https://www.thestepien.com/2018/03/08/p ... ney-notes/

Interesting and balanced takes on many of the top players in the draft.

He really sums up my feelings on Ayton/Bagley/Bamba/JJJ/Carter/etc. They may turn into nice players, but I don't see HOF in their future.
They can’t all be a top 5 or a top 10 player at their position. And without injury, none of these players are particularly likely to overtake Joel Embiid or Anthony Davis (thank god he’s now playing center).

So we have a group of 8-10 players who are being considered near the top of this draft for a deep position (from traditional centers like Embiid, Kristaps, Gobert, Adams, Cousins, Capela, Drummond et al to traditional power forwards like Anthony Davis and Serge Ibaka sometimes manning the position, not to speak of Durant, Lebron, Giannis and the like who all sometimes play there). Does it strike you funny that the upside for all is spoken about as “best player in the league” or “best player at his position”? It does me.

If there are 8-10 players in the draft and one can’t sort through them well enough to figure out who the best one is, the likelihood is that none of them are all that great to begin with. True greatness at the center position is readily apparent in almost every case.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I'm starting to like Aaron Holiday as a point guard target with the Miami pick.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

INFORMER wrote:I'm starting to like Aaron Holiday as a point guard target with the Miami pick.
You mean 2nd round?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

INFORMER wrote:I'm starting to like Aaron Holiday as a point guard target with the Miami pick.
You know that pick is getting traded.

Split T

Post by Split T »

That's Jrue's younger brother right? Fits with our team philosophy.

JustWinBaby

Post by JustWinBaby »

I like him as well.

I just am not buying into Ayton like virtually everyone else is. Everything looks great on paper but something is just missing. I have not seen the other bigs play so I am interested in watching the tournament, especially Bagley.

Wish Doncic was playing at one of our universities.
This BUD'S for us! - Play fast Play well - Go Suns!

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I don't see how Mikal Bridges fails at the next level. He's really good. I'd package the MIA + MIL picks to grab him if we could.

carey

Post by carey »

Split T wrote:
That's Jrue's younger brother right? Fits with our team philosophy.
I'd rather the Porter brothers. Jontay looks interesting as a stretch 5.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Shabazz wrote:I don't see how Mikal Bridges fails at the next level. He's really good. I'd package the MIA + MIL picks to grab him if we could.
He's going to be better than 5 people drafted ahead of him.