Around the League News - 2022 Offseason Edition

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Wally_West

Re: Around the League News - 2022 Offseason Edition

Post by Wally_West »

Split T wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:05 pm
Here’s what I’m thinking:

Utah recieves Ayton, Reddish, Quickley and 3 1sts
Knicks receive Mitchell and Azibuike
Suns recieve Fournier and 2 1sts.

We then package Cam J, Crowder, Saric, and Shamet with 6 1sts for KD.

Other options to make the salaries work would be Mikal, Saric, and Craig. Fournier, Crowder, and Saric. There’s a few ways to do it. I imagine they’d still want Mikal, but maybe being able to send them 6 1sts is enough?

Fournier could also be a decent option for us off the bench as a 3rd guard if we don’t include him…which I don’t think he’d be all that appealing to Brooklyn.

I hope something like this plays out but I get the feeling Ainge just wants to keep all the picks. Maybe it’s a smokescreen by Sean marks to force the Suns hand to give up Mikal? Sort of doubt it but we’ll see.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I asked some jazz fans and they all said no way. I really don’t get the hoarding draft picks strategy that has become so popular lately. Boston did it and never really managed to cash in, OKC is doing it now and we’ll see I guess. They are more committed to it than anyone, but so far they’ve really just been getting all their best players with their own picks from tanking. NOP is also doing it and hasn’t really cashed in. It’s all just about the potential of the future. Feels like you can keep your job as GM easier if you sell the owner on some potential future that will never really come to fruition.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:34 pm
the first move seems like an obvious carry when he goes behind his back

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:40 pm
From this article:
The Jazz, who saw their NBA title window close this past season with a loss in six games to the Dallas Mavericks in the first round of the playoffs, are focused on obtaining draft picks and younger players who are on rookie-scale deals.
Would be nice to have some of those were a star player to become available, but you need to, you know, participate in the draft.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Shabazz wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:13 pm
From this article:
The Jazz, who saw their NBA title window close this past season with a loss in six games to the Dallas Mavericks in the first round of the playoffs, are focused on obtaining draft picks and younger players who are on rookie-scale deals.
Would be nice to have some of those were a star player to become available, but you need to, you know, participate in the draft.
Good thing we have Jalen Smi...oh.

It's too bad because most of the guys we have drafted have actually turned out to be pretty decent to good NBA players. Ayton, Mikal, Cam Johnson, even Jalen Smith. They're all serviceable. James Jones isn't perfect at the draft, but nobody is. I would really like to have us picking each year to have a chance at finding a guy who would grow into a rotation player. That's how you keep your team fresh.

Another way you can do that is to carefully target undrafted players to invite to your summer league team or G-League team, but we seem to have stocked that team full of 28-30-year-olds.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Indy wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:49 pm
Half of Summer League is a glorified pick up game anyway. :lol:

On a serious note, McClung has shown me something this summer. He's always had the athleticism but never NBA skills or IQ, but it looks like he might actually start to be putting it together a bit.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Knicks kind of backed themselves into a corner with the Brunson signing. Don't think he and Mitchell would make for a good tandem and it'd be worse if the Knicks had to move Barrett as well. If they kept Barrett in the mix it'd be a lot better, but defensively they'd struggle and the Jazz aren't taking Randle either, so that's a lot of guys who need shots.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

The Turner, DA thing I was aware of but I'm also one who has wondered about nabbing Vanderbilt in any potential trade

This is quite interesting

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Split T

Post by Split T »

Any interest?

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:18 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:13 pm
From this article:
Good thing we have Jalen Smi...oh.

It's too bad because most of the guys we have drafted have actually turned out to be pretty decent to good NBA players. Ayton, Mikal, Cam Johnson, even Jalen Smith. They're all serviceable. James Jones isn't perfect at the draft, but nobody is. I would really like to have us picking each year to have a chance at finding a guy who would grow into a rotation player. That's how you keep your team fresh.

Another way you can do that is to carefully target undrafted players to invite to your summer league team or G-League team, but we seem to have stocked that team full of 28-30-year-olds.
What G-League team? :P
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:37 am

Any interest?
His shooting form somehow looks worse. I'd rather Micic, Schroder or Kemba.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya Micic is interesting to me…Kemba feels like the most likely though if he gets bought out.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

I like Kemba. If he can stay healthy and is willing to come off the bench, I think he’s a definite upgrade to our backcourt.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
How so?
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

In2ition wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:05 pm
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
How so?
If you slow it down, it looks like he palms it.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

JeremyG wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:35 pm
In2ition wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:05 pm
Indy wrote:
Superbone wrote:
How so?
If you slow it down, it looks like he palms it.
If you slow it down? You could probably do that for every cross over then. Looked league to me, with the way that they officiate dribbling nowadays. Now, back in the 60's they wouldn't have allowed that and the best ball handler was Bob Cousy, who couldn't dribble with his left hand.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Indy

Post by Indy »

His hand looks like it is under the ball when he starts his spin.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Yeah, I don't see that at all. I've seen way way worse consistently that isn't called.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Dennis Smith Jr. got a chance last year with Portland and continued to prove he can't shoot. And he doesn't bring enough in any other area to offset that deficiency.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Cap

Post by Cap »

INFORMER wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:20 pm
Dennis Smith Jr. got a chance last year with Portland and continued to prove he can't shoot. And he doesn't bring enough in any other area to offset that deficiency.
Dude's been in the league for five years and has a negative WS and negative VORP. Somebody with a Stathead subscription want to tell me how many guys in league history have done that?