Suns News: Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
AmareIsGod

Re: Suns News: Offseason

Post by AmareIsGod »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:59 am
Happy Birthday, Indy and AIG! Been there, done that, AIG. Occasionally I have to calculate it based on my birth year. Luckily, I don't forget that...yet. :P
I do the same. I count down from 1983 since I can't forget that part! I just feel a little crazy when people ask and I tell them "35!". Then I do that math in my head, which takes a minute, and then sometimes I go "oh shit. I'm 37! Sorry".
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:03 am
Superbone wrote:
Happy Birthday, Indy and AIG! Been there, done that, AIG. Occasionally I have to calculate it based on my birth year. Luckily, I don't forget that...yet. :P
I do the same. I count down from 1983 since I can't forget that part! I just feel a little crazy when people ask and I tell them "35!". Then I do that math in my head, which takes a minute, and then sometimes I go "oh shit. I'm 37! Sorry".
Ha ha. I don't think I've ever been two years off. :P
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Indy

Post by Indy »

Not a great look. I hope they at least talked to him that it was a possibility.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Yea you'd hope after seeing all the rumors that were flying that Jones at least gave him and Rubio word that there were talks and it could go down. I could understand Kelly and Rubio hearing the actual news thru Twitter because of leaks and news moving so fast that their agent or Jones couldn't get to them beforehand maybe. Can't believe both guys were just in the dark and caught completely off guard.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:23 am
Everybody know that you can't play if your chakra's not right.

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:31 am
Indy wrote:
I was talking about him finding out he was traded on Twitter.

But I agree that him not playing in the bubble and his reasoning behind it were not good.

Split T

Post by Split T »

His comments about his time in Phoenix also made me realize he was probably never staying. I thought he loved it here, but that’s now exactly how he responded.
What was this last year-plus in Phoenix like for you?

It was up and down, of course. It was a lot of uncertainty for me as a player. Obviously I had a great year statistic-wise, but I had a lot of, just misunderstandings of who I was as a competitor. Because I was trying to lead a group, or try my best to be a vocal leader on a group that didn’t really understand how to make it to that next step. Obviously me being around the same age as everybody, it was just kind of like, you know, ‘bro.’ It was kind of a lot of pushback. I was trying to be understood and heard that I just want to win and help you guys win. But it was me going out there and just doing it, and just having that fire and that passion, which I can, now, just seamlessly fit in a group who already understands that, and bringing what I have to bring to the table. Phoenix was great, but I got a lot of my stuff out (of) the mud. I got a lot of my points, I got out (of) the mud. I didn’t get a lot of plays called for me or anything. But that’s just how I’ve been playing my whole career.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

It's pretty much impossible to let an athlete know about a trade before twitter hears about it. If Oubre was in the gym, he probably wasn't answering phone calls. It's awkward, but that's how it goes.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:17 pm
His comments about his time in Phoenix also made me realize he was probably never staying. I thought he loved it here, but that’s now exactly how he responded.

It was up and down, of course. It was a lot of uncertainty for me as a player. Obviously I had a great year statistic-wise, but I had a lot of, just misunderstandings of who I was as a competitor. Because I was trying to lead a group, or try my best to be a vocal leader on a group that didn’t really understand how to make it to that next step. Obviously me being around the same age as everybody, it was just kind of like, you know, ‘bro.’ It was kind of a lot of pushback. I was trying to be understood and heard that I just want to win and help you guys win. But it was me going out there and just doing it, and just having that fire and that passion, which I can, now, just seamlessly fit in a group who already understands that, and bringing what I have to bring to the table. Phoenix was great, but I got a lot of my stuff out (of) the mud. I got a lot of my points, I got out (of) the mud. I didn’t get a lot of plays called for me or anything. But that’s just how I’ve been playing my whole career.
Yeah, he knows how to put on a show as much as anyone in the league. He can know that he won't be back and still make a video that shows how much he loves playing here.

I didn't hear any insider or even pseudo-insider say that Oubre was going to be here after this season.

Indy

Post by Indy »

O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:20 pm
It's pretty much impossible to let an athlete know about a trade before twitter hears about it. If Oubre was in the gym, he probably wasn't answering phone calls. It's awkward, but that's how it goes.
Agreed. I meant that I hope he had a call when his name was in serious consideration. That didn't happen in the course of an hour or even an afternoon.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:09 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:03 am
Superbone wrote:
Ha ha. I don't think I've ever been two years off. :P
I've typically been a year off. More just based on being 37 now, I've been mistakenly referring to myself as 35 enough at 36 that it wouldn't surprise me.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Split T wrote:

Interesting response. I don't think any of this makes him a bad guy, just that he tried maybe a bit too hard and doesn't have a lot of self-awareness in terms of knowing his role and playing up the energy and passion while leaving the leadership up to guys like Book and Rubio. Plus Mikal and Cam were older, Baynes was older. Not really on Kelly to be a team leader at this point in his career. I think the negotiations last summer plus the emergence of Mikal and Cam spelled things out a bit.

I'll miss him tho.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:03 pm
Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
I was talking about him finding out he was traded on Twitter.

But I agree that him not playing in the bubble and his reasoning behind it were not good.
Gotcha. I think I realized that after posting.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I think we still need one decent creator and would let Elie go in favor of Jordan McRae. Unless the team is seeing something in Elie that we haven't seen before.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:23 pm
Split T wrote:

Yeah, he knows how to put on a show as much as anyone in the league. He can know that he won't be back and still make a video that shows how much he loves playing here.

I didn't hear any insider or even pseudo-insider say that Oubre was going to be here after this season.
Yep and to be clear, I’m still very grateful for Kelly and sad that he’s gone. He did bring some energy to that team and got them playing with some fire. I do think he deserves credit for that. While he didn’t play in the bubble, we don’t even get to play in the bubble without him.

The interesting point is when he talks about getting all his points out of mud. Felt a little Shawn Marion-y and I think we were headed for a problem down the line. Kelly has aspirations of being a star and we just wanted him to play more of a role. Which I think is perfectly acceptable. Credit to him, he never showed that he was frustrated with his role at all. I’m a big fan and will remain a big fan, I hope he does well in GS.

I am a little sad I won’t be able to rock an Oubre Valley jersey though.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:27 pm
Indy wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:23 pm
Split T wrote:

Yep and to be clear, I’m still very grateful for Kelly and sad that he’s gone. He did bring some energy to that team and got them playing with some fire. I do think he deserves credit for that. While he didn’t play in the bubble, we don’t even get to play in the bubble without him.

The interesting point is when he talks about getting all his points out of mud. Felt a little Shawn Marion-y and I think we were headed for a problem down the line. Kelly has aspirations of being a star and we just wanted him to play more of a role. Which I think is perfectly acceptable. Credit to him, he never showed that he was frustrated with his role at all. I’m a big fan and will remain a big fan, I hope he does well in GS.

I am a little sad I won’t be able to rock an Oubre Valley jersey though.
Same. Well, I do until we are in competition for seeding.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

After hearing from Oubre, I feel a lot better about the trade. As long as CP3 can stay healthy and productive like last season. I do wonder what we could have gotten for Oubre if we had kept Rubio.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:
What the fuck is he even saying. Spiritual warfare. I wish we could trade for him so we could trade him again. How’s that for a mind fuck