Around the League: The Offseason

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

Re: Around the League: The Offseason

Post by carey »

Indy wrote:I would think they have to interview, officially, especially because he is another white guy.
There's no Rooney rule in the NBA afaik?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

carey wrote:
Indy wrote:I would think they have to interview, officially, especially because he is another white guy.
There's no Rooney rule in the NBA afaik?
I didn't mean that they are legally required. I mean, if you are really trying to find the best candidate, you need to look everywhere, and get differing opinions. You can't do that by only looking at the people close to you or who have the same perspective as you.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Indy wrote:I didn't mean that they are legally required. I mean, if you are really trying to find the best candidate, you need to look everywhere, and get differing opinions. You can't do that by only looking at the people close to you or who have the same perspective as you.
Shots fired!

Indy

Post by Indy »

Hermen wrote:
Indy wrote:I didn't mean that they are legally required. I mean, if you are really trying to find the best candidate, you need to look everywhere, and get differing opinions. You can't do that by only looking at the people close to you or who have the same perspective as you.
Shots fired!
No shots. Just a huge believer in surrounding yourself with differing opinions. One of my favorite quotes is: "you have no progress without dissent." You need to be challenged to move forward, and usually people with similar backgrounds, up-bringings, culture, and socio-economic status brings lots of group think. I hate that.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Indy wrote:
Hermen wrote:
Shots fired!
No shots. Just a huge believer in surrounding yourself with differing opinions. One of my favorite quotes is: "you have no progress without dissent." You need to be challenged to move forward, and usually people with similar backgrounds, up-bringings, culture, and socio-economic status brings lots of group think. I hate that.
I was just joking because it's how Watson was hired. Otherwise, I agree :-)

carey

Post by carey »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 102407008/
NBA commissioner Adam Silver is open to exploring a change to the league's age limit, saying on Thursday that the one-and-done rule is "not working for anyone."
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

carey wrote:https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 102407008/
NBA commissioner Adam Silver is open to exploring a change to the league's age limit, saying on Thursday that the one-and-done rule is "not working for anyone."
It would be nice. Unfortunately, won't it will hurt the lottery teams the first year? Say it goes into affect for the 2019 draft, that means that Marvin Bagley III, if he is a transcedent player, will have to wait until the 2020 draft. So all the lottery teams in 2019 will have a lot of watered down talent to choose from.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

Unless they drop the age limit altogether

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

It's pretty much the same stance that Stern took - and one that probably doesn't work for the union.

I think the league would be better of eliminating the age limit and then figuring out a way to utilize the D-League/G-League to get the younger players playing experience.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

carey

Post by carey »

Split T wrote:Unless they drop the age limit altogether
They are never going back to that. I think they'll push it to two years at some point. Probably within the next 2 years.

It's weird but the older I get the more I feel like they should just do away with the draft & let players sign wherever the heck they want when they come into the league. Players can go to a situation that suits them best and it will utterly eliminate tanking. Turn the salary cap into a hard cap and eliminate the % max. You got LeBron? Great. He now commands 50% of your hard capped salary cap. You couldn't sign the #1 guy coming out of college anyway.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

I dunno, Silver sounded open to dropping it to me. It doesn't make a lot of sense to push it to 2 years because the kids still won't care.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

carey wrote:
They are never going back to that. I think they'll push it to two years at some point. Probably within the next 2 years.

It's weird but the older I get the more I feel like they should just do away with the draft & let players sign wherever the heck they want when they come into the league. Players can go to a situation that suits them best and it will utterly eliminate tanking. Turn the salary cap into a hard cap and eliminate the % max. You got LeBron? Great. He now commands 50% of your hard capped salary cap. You couldn't sign the #1 guy coming out of college anyway.
They will NEVER eliminate the draft if it comes with a hard cap. The union would never agree to that.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

carey

Post by carey »

Don't see why not. The cap can change every year based on BRI so they still get their 51%.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

carey wrote:

Sometimes simplifying is best. Sounds like you aren't keeping the rookie scale salaries?
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I would love it if they'd move to a 2-year minimum in college. I basically don't watch college basketball because I can't stand how all the players leave after just one season. It's too hard to keep track of all the players and not enough consistency from year to year.

Split T

Post by Split T »

What would people say to the baseball model? Either straight from high school or you've got to stay 3 years in college? I think I'd bump that down to 2, but I kinda like it. I think I'd like the G League to be more established as a minor league type system first though.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

If I was an international team, I would see this as an opportunity to step in and recruit American high schoolers.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Split T wrote:What would people say to the baseball model? Either straight from high school or you've got to stay 3 years in college? I think I'd bump that down to 2, but I kinda like it. I think I'd like the G League to be more established as a minor league type system first though.
Maybe straight from high school to D-league for two years or two years on college and then NBA?

Most of this kids' bodies are not ready anyway to compete in the NBA, but this would allow them to start getting paid if they choose to. Teams could start developing them and the D-League would get an inyection of exposure and talent. You can set some aditional rules, like a wild card every two years for every team to play his pick directly from HS, or injury exceptions allowing to call a drafted player to the NBA team, maybe even allow unconditional 5 games stints. You could also implement a third drafting round, exclusively for D-League spots, with some exceptions as well.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Even with the baseball draft rules we still see plenty of HS baseball players sign right out of HS. And I really don't see how it's the job of the NBA to fix the problems in the NCAA.

As mentioned above, 20-year age limit would probably mean more players signing in Europe, and a few signing with the developmental league.

My thought is to have all players 18 and older eligible for the draft and adding another team option year on the rookie contracts, giving teams control over first round picks for at least six years (two guaranteed, three option years and one qualifying offer year for restricted free agents). 17-year-old high school graduates who want to turn professional could play in the D-League/G-League or abroad before becoming eligible for the draft.

Six years is certainly enough time to evaluate a player and decide whether to make a long-term commitment, and still young enough that a player will likely have two chances to score big contracts before turning 30.

Split T

Post by Split T »

What about making players eligible straight out of highschool but not making them eligible to sign NBA contracts until year 3?

If you're LeBron James you go #1 in the draft but sign a G league contact, say 100,000 a year, but get paid NBA minimum for every game you spend with the NBA team. After 2 years, you sign the typical 4 year rookie deal.

If you stayed in college 2-4 years, you sign the typical rookie deal straight out of college.

The goal would be to encourage most prospects to go to college, the select few that are ready for the NBA can get an early start on their careers and make a little money, rather than playing in college for tuition.