NBA Finals 2017: Warriors vs Cavs

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: NBA Finals 2017: Warriors vs Cavs

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:Fully healthy, who would you rather have, Khris Middleton or Klay Thompson?
Don't underestimate how much Klay is deferring to Curry and Durant. He would average Kawhi-esque numbers if he led his own team.

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

bajanguy008 wrote:
ShelC wrote:Personally, I don't really care. If you're a great player in the league, you're defined by rings. And with the Ws, as much as they had a big 3 with Curry, Klay and Draymond, I think it's looking like it was really Curry and two amazing role players, not Curry and another superstar. So while the Ws were stacked, they played much more team ball, which I think has and will continue to evolve to where Curry and Durant are the alphas on the team.

For the league, I think NBA fans are probably frustrated that the superstars are joining up and that their teams - even the really good ones - don't stand much of a chance. But I also think it's a superstar league and fans want to see the best compete for titles. Curry, Durant, LeBron, Kyrie plus Klay, Draymond and Kevin Love...that's some good talent on the court.

The problem comes if/when GS rips off 2-3-4 titles in a row with no competition. That could've been the case this year had they won last year and my feelings might be different.

I really agree with your first paragraph. Two superstars and two amazing role players, Klay looks more n more like a very good 3 and D guy the way he's being used and Draymond just doing his thing. The thing about the Warriors is the personnel fit, teams try to join up stars will always be more likely to be like the Heat n Cavs, with two or all three being ball dominant and someone having to become the 3rd wheel and have their numbers really suffer. The fact the stars on Ws are all shooters that can space who don't need heavy usage rates to be effective as oppose to slashers/scorers it's gonna be hard for other teams to find that mix trying to form a " big 3" that works
Klay is everything you could want from a 3&D player in a time where 3&D guys are the shit, he's so elite in his role on both ends he would be a great fit on any team. Green is a tasmanian devil (or a superstar) on defense while also providing playmaking and floor stretching on offense. In a league full of scoring guards and a need for defensive versatility, any team would want him.

Every player plays a role on a team, but at what point does a role player become a star?

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

Split T wrote:I think Middleton is one of the most underrated players in the league. He's an 18/4/4 guy who shoots 40% from 3 and plays great D. He does about everything you'd want from a wing player. Klay is the better shooter, slightly higher percentage and I imagine on higher difficulty, but I think Middleton is better at everything else.
I also like Middleton a lot, but you might be selling Klay a bit short on defense. He does seem more well-rounded on offense than Klay though. It probably depends on what you need for your team. If you have enough ball handlers, Klay is your guy. If you need another playmaker, you might prefer Middleton.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
Split T wrote:Fully healthy, who would you rather have, Khris Middleton or Klay Thompson?
Don't underestimate how much Klay is deferring to Curry and Durant. He would average Kawhi-esque numbers if he led his own team.
I agree.

Split T

Post by Split T »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
I agree.
I guess it's possible, but I don't buy this argument. He's never been an iso scorer, he's a catch and shoot guy, even in college when he didn't have Curry. Don't underestimate how having Curry and Durant gets him better looks.

I think Klay is a great player, he probably is the best sg in the league, but sg is by far the weakest position. It's Klay, Derozan, McCollum, and Beal. No Superstars in that group.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Hermen wrote:
Split T wrote:I think Middleton is one of the most underrated players in the league. He's an 18/4/4 guy who shoots 40% from 3 and plays great D. He does about everything you'd want from a wing player. Klay is the better shooter, slightly higher percentage and I imagine on higher difficulty, but I think Middleton is better at everything else.
I also like Middleton a lot, but you might be selling Klay a bit short on defense. He does seem more well-rounded on offense than Klay though. It probably depends on what you need for your team. If you have enough ball handlers, Klay is your guy. If you need another playmaker, you might prefer Middleton.
Not trying to sell Klay short, I think he's great on defense. I just think Middleton is a great defender too.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
I agree.
I guess it's possible, but I don't buy this argument. He's never been an iso scorer, he's a catch and shoot guy, even in college when he didn't have Curry. Don't underestimate how having Curry and Durant gets him better looks.

I think Klay is a great player, he probably is the best sg in the league, but sg is by far the weakest position. It's Klay, Derozan, McCollum, and Beal. No Superstars in that group.
I know he primarily played sf this year with Wade on the team with him, but I would add Butler to this list and one of the best.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Split T wrote:
Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
I agree.

Booker

I would also put Harden in this group.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

TOO

Post by TOO »

I absolutely think Klay is a superstar, he's incredible on both ends. I think Beal has made quite the leap as well, he's also very good both ways.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think there is about 8 to 13 superstars in the league. LeBron, Durant, Kawhi, Curry, harden, Westbrook, AD, and Giannis. CP3 is border line. As is Butler, George, wall, and KAT. And I consider butler a 3 and harden a 1 now.

TOO

Post by TOO »

I'd take Klay over, CP3, Butler, George, Wall.

What constitutes a superstar? I would argue Draymond is probably more recognizable than KAT or Paul George. I think if youre one of the 3 best at your position, you're probably in the superstar conversation no?

Indy

Post by Indy »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:I'd take Klay over, CP3, Butler, George, Wall.

What constitutes a superstar? I would argue Draymond is probably more recognizable than KAT or Paul George. I think if youre one of the 3 best at your position, you're probably in the superstar conversation no?
I don't think it is a comparison to others at your position. To me it is, are you a clear first ballot HOFer and do you/can you carry a whole team? I think some people think of it as how famous you are, though.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

It shows how meaningless the PER is for shooting guards as a measure. Klay was only 17.4 this year and 16.4 for is career, but it far better and more impactful than say Clint Capela who's PER is 21.7 this year.

At his PER, Booker was considered not even up the average NBA player, yet is only 3 points behind Klay.
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

BTW, if the Warriors win the next 3 or 4 titles, I would think it would be a lock that Klay is a first ballot HOFer. James Worthy was, and I wouldn't have considered him to be in the top 5 of small forwards if he played today in the league.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

In2ition wrote:BTW, if the Warriors win the next 3 or 4 titles, I would think it would be a lock that Klay is a first ballot HOFer. James Worthy was, and I wouldn't have considered him to be in the top 5 of small forwards if he played today in the league.
Right. Tony Parker and Manu are both going to the HOF, despite neither being an All-NBA talent.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

Split T

Post by Split T »

To me a superstar is someone who can be the best player on a championship team. I can't see Klay leading a team to a title without players better than him.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

To me a superstar is an all nba type talent that has reached a level of popularity, respect, fandom, and fame within casual to non-fans.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Split T wrote:

To me a superstar is someone who can be the best player on a championship team. I can't see Klay leading a team to a title without players better than him.
So LeBron and KD, thats it?

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:

So LeBron and KD, thats it?
Curry was a superstar a couple years ago, but now he isn't it seems.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I know LeBron made sure to get shooters around him so that when he is playing downhill , his bully ball lol that Korver, JR n Frye and Love are lighting teams up on drive n kicks. I think at one point Cavs were leading the league in 3pt per game or at least set the most for one game this season but it feels to me now like they are showing foolish pride. Bron n Kyrie are still insisting that they don't need to slow the game down, that they've had lots of success and this is how they play. I just don't see them winning a shootout or with Tristan not imposing his will on the glass
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)