Game Day: 76ers (1-30) @ Suns (12-19), Sat 12/26/15

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Game Day: 76ers (1-30) @ Suns (12-19), Sat 12/26/15

Post by Indy »

I wasn't expecting it to be an either, or proposition.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

I'm not a big walton guy. Alot of coaches can be made good by what Golden state puts on the floor
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Walton is fool's gold. Agree strongly that Hammon isn't the right coach for THIS group. I don't think she could control them and wouldn't get their respect. She needs to work with a more civilized group with better veterans.

It's gotta be Thibs. He's the guy who can kick these knuckleheads in the butt and make them do what they're supposed to do.

Uncle_Gene

Post by Uncle_Gene »

Thibodeau all the way. He would demand their respect.
Phoenix Suns 2024-25 NBA Champions !

EDC

Post by EDC »

Indy wrote:
ShelC wrote:I'm not opposed to Hammon or even Walton in general, but I think we need a tested, veteran, coach to instill discipline and coach this roster up.
I am in the same boat with Hammon (and I am not interested in Walton). I have a feeling that a new, untested coach will not have the respect of the boneheads on our roster. I would really love to take the INF path and just get rid of our highest paid players that can't make smart basketball plays.
I strongly agree with both of you. A new Coach could turn in to something great but we really can't risk it. If they turn into a dud we are set back even farther. It has been too long since we've had really good basketball here. Sarver needs to poney up for a big name.

EDC

Post by EDC »

Mori Chu wrote:Walton is fool's gold. Agree strongly that Hammon isn't the right coach for THIS group. I don't think she could control them and wouldn't get their respect. She needs to work with a more civilized group with better veterans.

It's gotta be Thibs. He's the guy who can kick these knuckleheads in the butt and make them do what they're supposed to do.
We definitely need a defensive minded coach. Our current personal leans more towards defense. We have such a shitty rep as a soft team that just runs that it will take a big name coach to start to shift that rep. So we can finally start getting away with physical play like some other teams.

My list would be Thibs and JVG. Throw money at them until one agrees.

Indy

Post by Indy »

If those are the two names, I would prefer JVG. I think his time away has helped him see there is more than one way to play.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'd also consider Scott Brooks. I think JVG is pretty content as a commentator. That's a pretty cush job compared to the rigors of coaching.

Cap

Post by Cap »

ShelC wrote:I'd also consider Scott Brooks. I think JVG is pretty content as a commentator. That's a pretty cush job compared to the rigors of coaching.
Not if you're a competitor.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Cap wrote:
ShelC wrote:I'd also consider Scott Brooks. I think JVG is pretty content as a commentator. That's a pretty cush job compared to the rigors of coaching.
Not if you're a competitor.
In Gallup-speak, I would say it depends on the balance between "Achiever" and "Competitor." He may be a strong competitor but have a much higher desire to win. And there aren't a lot of teams he can walk into and be favored to win a ring in 3-5 years. He is in his mid-50s, and has already achieved everything short of a ring. So he should only come back if he *loves* the crazy grind of NBA coaching.

carey

Post by carey »

Have we already forgotten how horrid Brooks' offensive schemes are? If you are sick of the stupid hero-ball / isolation ball of the Suns it would be 10X worse with Brooks as our coach. I thought we pretty unanimously wanted a pass heavy motion offense similar to what the Spurs are currently running?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I thought we pretty unanimously wanted a pass heavy motion offense similar to what the Spurs are currently running?

I'd say Booker and Chandler have the highest bball IQs on the team. So unless you're getting rid of everyone else, bring in a coach who can maximize the roster. I think the talent is there with the right coach/system.

I don't think Brooks is the best Xs and Os guy, but he would command respect as a guy who's coached the best and gotten to the Finals.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

DrSublime wrote:so... how's Ben Simmons looking to everyone
Likely.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Kinda rooting for a loss myself, just to see the calamity that ensues.
*slow clap*
Everybody got what they wanted and then proceeded to complain about it.

"Be Legendary."

pickle

Post by pickle »

Superbone wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:
TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Kinda rooting for a loss myself, just to see the calamity that ensues.
*slow clap*
Everybody got what they wanted and then proceeded to complain about it.
Sadly that's what makes us fans. We fully understand the amount of torment ahead of us, and we embrace it and try to lessen the pain through sarcasm and snarkiness, only to realize that, nope, straight up it's painful as hell.

If I didn't have a place like this board to vent, I think denial might be my next solution, and I don't much like denial.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

ShelC wrote:See I think these guys can win, you just can't be a hands off coach and leave the decision making up to the guards the way MikeD did with Nash, Kerr/Walton do with Curry, Hornacek did with Goran.

Slow it down, play halfcourt and pound the sets and defensive principals into them the way Larry Brown, Thibs, Skiles do. Take the decision making out of their hands and just have them execute the designed plays.
I've said this since preseason. The less creativity involved, the less TO and dumb stuff in general. This roster is built to play mechanical offense and tenacious defense, but it is trying exactly the opposite.
And honestly, whereas people are bitching about getting value for Markieff, I don't think you'll get true value for Knight and Bledsoe making 80mil apiece. Guards are in abundance and nearly every team has one at least as good as ours.
Knight can easily be a terrific 6th man on a contender or bonafide playoff roster, and his salary is not too large for that role anymore.
That's why it's almost always easier to replace the coach and find one more in line with the roster.
It's easier, but the roster needs deep changes anyway. Knight-Tucker-Markieff-Teletovic are my targets. Chandler and Bledsoe would be too for the right price, but I'd like to see what they can do with the kids and a different HC if it comes down to it.
Beside, is getting rid of our guards and keeping Hornacek the next 2-3-4 years really the route we want to go? He's not exactly Gregg Popovich.
I am not itching to remove him, because first I want a number of players out of here, but you also need to earn your stay. 13-14 was really nice but credit erodes and contracts expire. There have been large roster changes over two seasons but he has to take his share of the blame for these bottomless struggles.

Firing the assistant coaches is so lame, though.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

DVR also didn't record this one. For good reason. Just another embarrassment for this franchise. They seem to be piling them up over the years. This loss cost Lombardi and Sichting their jobs. The players seem to like Earl Watson. Whatever.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Firing the assistant coaches is so lame, though.
Are you kidding me?! It is very innovative. It's never been done before! Who here could have imagined that our assistant coaches were responsible for all our problems?

"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Ha! And turns out Hornacek was against it yet he keeps coaching. Won't blame a man for wanting to keep his job, especially one as hard to come by as NBA HC but it just adds to the lameness, particularly knowing that his contract is expiring. After all you call thiss a lame duck or whatever, right?

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if Watson is coaching before the season is over.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Ha! And turns out Hornacek was against it yet he keeps coaching. Won't blame a man for wanting to keep his job, especially one as hard to come by as NBA HC but it just adds to the lameness, particularly knowing that his contract is expiring. After all you call thiss a lame duck or whatever, right?

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if Watson is coaching before the season is over.
They really don't want to keep paying coaches that aren't here anymore. I think that irks Sarver, or maybe is a financial incentive for Babby. Either way, it is bullshit. I am sick of this playing both sides/fence riding. Make a bold move and keep going. If it doesn't work, fine. But stop this insanity. "Oh, let's rebuild, but do it while staying competitive..." "Let's go all in for LA, but let's plan on keeping Keef around after we trade his brother if this doesn't work out..." "Man we created a disaster with keeping Keef around, and we have a lame-duck coach who is working for his next contract, but I am sure he will care less about winning and more about trying to get time for rookies/young guys that make lots of mistakes... Oh, that isn't working well. Let's fire his assistants and not discipline the guy that threw a towel at coach... that should fix it."

I am rambling again, but it is so childish.