Markieff Morris to the Wizards

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Re: Markieff Morris to the Wizards

Post by Superbone »

Ring_Wanted wrote:Dragic is the best thing this franchise has had since the WCF in 2010. He should have never left the Suns, and I don't have too much trouble believing he'd be playing waaaay better here than what he is being allowed to do in Miami. Also, the pics are an unknown. Miami is becoming the Phoenix of the 90s. It's a good destination and as long as Riley is in charge there's a good chance the picks are not in the lotto, but we'll see about that. Anaway, alienating Dragic was utterly offensive to me as a Suns fan.
Yes, yes, yes!!!
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

OE32 wrote:When he made All-NBA third team, I guaranteed anyone who would listen that it would never happen again, that he had peaked. He was a likable player, but not a difference-maker.
He peaked, but my belief is that he could have sustained that level of prime more or less for some years. Maybe he was not going to give you 23ppg like when he was alone, but alongside Bledsoe the backcourt was top notch. 18ppg with his 5 assists and general smart play would have been something pretty attainable in my opinion.
Yeah, this part of my opinion is kind of ahistorical. I was under the impression that part of the Aldridge chase was to convince Chandler to sign and to give ourselves an excuse to move Marcus (the player I loathed more than any other while he was in a Suns uniform - I HATE his game). Not that we wouldn't have signed Aldridge if had accepted - I just always thought there was more going on there.
It was the other way around. Add Watson, allegedly very respected Aldridge since they were teammates in 13-14). Add Chandler, apparently a perfect bodyguard so LaMarcus doesn't need to play center, perfect since Len is also in the depth chart. Dumping money was instrumental and Marcus was acting like a headcase, so two birds with one stone.

The resign Knight. Become contender. Profit. But...

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

OE32 wrote:I really think this is the crux of the distance between myself and so many others on this board. I never believed in Dragic. I thought he was dramatically overrated by Suns fans. When he made All-NBA third team, I guaranteed anyone who would listen that it would never happen again, that he had peaked. He was a likable player, but not a difference-maker. So I was pleased when we forced him out and got picks in return; I took no offense. I noticed the change in people's attitudes toward this organization turned pretty hard when we pushed him out - but I loved it. And I think that emotional difference is a big reason for the difference in opinion.
No, no, no!!!

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I still think the plan all along has been to move Bledsoe, which will be harder with his most recent injury.
I actually don't agree with that part. I think Saver and McDo really like Bledsoe and think of him as the cornerstone / face of the team. They want to build around him. I think that's crazy at this point, especially with his last injury and the prospects for his knees going forward, but I think that's how they feel.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Indy wrote:
OE32 wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
OE32 wrote:forcing Dragic out is what put us in a position to get such enormous value for him in trade).
Dragic is the best thing this franchise has had since the WCF in 2010. He should have never left the Suns, and I don't have too much trouble believing he'd be playing waaaay better here than what he is being allowed to do in Miami. Also, the pics are an unknown. Miami is becoming the Phoenix of the 90s. It's a good destination and as long as Riley is in charge there's a good chance the picks are not in the lotto, but we'll see about that. Anaway, alienating Dragic was utterly offensive to me as a Suns fan.
I really think this is the crux of the distance between myself and so many others on this board. I never believed in Dragic. I thought he was dramatically overrated by Suns fans. When he made All-NBA third team, I guaranteed anyone who would listen that it would never happen again, that he had peaked. He was a likable player, but not a difference-maker. So I was pleased when we forced him out and got picks in return; I took no offense. I noticed the change in people's attitudes toward this organization turned pretty hard when we pushed him out - but I loved it. And I think that emotional difference is a big reason for the difference in opinion.
Emotion aside, you have to agree that having a person that could actually play PG would help our team, right?
I mean, if you're trying to win. Having your starting SG, SF and C of the future helps just as much as having your PG of the future. I think we've been in asset-acquisition mode rather than roster-assembly mode. My best guess is that we'll draft our long-term PG soon enough. But we acquired Bled because the opportunity arose, and we had to play him. And we'll play him until we can trade him. And eventually we will. You take the opportunities that are available.

Apparently, we tried to re-sign Ish for $3+ mil per this offseason. Would have liked that. He wanted more of an opportunity. Can't blame him.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Mori Chu wrote:
I still think the plan all along has been to move Bledsoe, which will be harder with his most recent injury.
I actually don't agree with that part. I think Saver and McDo really like Bledsoe and think of him as the cornerstone / face of the team. They want to build around him. I think that's crazy at this point, especially with his last injury and the prospects for his knees going forward, but I think that's how they feel.
Agreed. I think there is nothing in the world that says this organization does not value Bledsoe, and think of him as a long-time Sun. I would say that I hope this most recent injury makes them re-evaluate their stance, though.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Indy wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
Agreed. I think there is nothing in the world that says this organization does not value Bledsoe, and think of him as a long-time Sun.
Consistent with their rhetoric of the last two seasons, I think that is what the FO wants other teams to think. I think we were very close to trading him to NYK during the draft but weren't willing to give up #13 to get to #4. This most recent injury really hurts his value - he'll need to get through at least another full season to push it back up.

Indy

Post by Indy »

OE32 wrote:
Indy wrote:
OE32 wrote:
Ring_Wanted wrote:
OE32 wrote:forcing Dragic out is what put us in a position to get such enormous value for him in trade).
Dragic is the best thing this franchise has had since the WCF in 2010. He should have never left the Suns, and I don't have too much trouble believing he'd be playing waaaay better here than what he is being allowed to do in Miami. Also, the pics are an unknown. Miami is becoming the Phoenix of the 90s. It's a good destination and as long as Riley is in charge there's a good chance the picks are not in the lotto, but we'll see about that. Anaway, alienating Dragic was utterly offensive to me as a Suns fan.
I really think this is the crux of the distance between myself and so many others on this board. I never believed in Dragic. I thought he was dramatically overrated by Suns fans. When he made All-NBA third team, I guaranteed anyone who would listen that it would never happen again, that he had peaked. He was a likable player, but not a difference-maker. So I was pleased when we forced him out and got picks in return; I took no offense. I noticed the change in people's attitudes toward this organization turned pretty hard when we pushed him out - but I loved it. And I think that emotional difference is a big reason for the difference in opinion.
Emotion aside, you have to agree that having a person that could actually play PG would help our team, right?
I mean, if you're trying to win. Having your starting SG, SF and C of the future helps just as much as having your PG of the future. I think we've been in asset-acquisition mode rather than roster-assembly mode. My best guess is that we'll draft our long-term PG soon enough. But we acquired Bled because the opportunity arose, and we had to play him. And we'll play him until we can trade him. And eventually we will. You take the opportunities that are available.

Apparently, we tried to re-sign Ish for $3+ mil per this offseason. Would have liked that. He wanted more of an opportunity. Can't blame him.
You realize that we had that without alienating then trading Goran, and trading for then resigning Knight?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

OE32 wrote:I think we've been in asset-acquisition mode rather than roster-assembly mode.
Gosh, I sure hope so! Because the roster assembly sucks! Straight from China with badly worded instructions!

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
OE32 wrote:I think we've been in asset-acquisition mode rather than roster-assembly mode.
Gosh, I sure hope so! Because the roster assembly sucks! Straight from China with badly worded instructions!
That's just the thing. We haven't. We have been swinging hard for key roster pieces--we just keep missing.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I probably liked Bledsoe more than most a year ago, but this season has taught me two things about Eric Bledsoe:

a) He doesn't understand how to be the starting point guard of a successful winning team; and

b) Even if he did, his knees are crushed into powder and he won't be able to play at a high level consistently going forward.

We need to find our real starting PG at some point. I don't consider it urgent to do so right this minute, though, because we do still have Bled, Knight, Booker, and maybe Goodwin who will all be given minutes. So even if we found a real PG, I don't think he would play.

At this point I do however support any move that gets Bledsoe or Knight off the team without surrendering any significant asset.

OE32

Post by OE32 »

Indy wrote:You realize that we had that without alienating then trading Goran, and trading for then resigning Knight?
Sure. But I don't think Goran was going to be our PG when we were competing for a championship in any case. If we had taken the other path and not signed IT, we could have foregone the CLE pick, Knight, and the MIA picks for Dragic and the LAL pick. I think Dragic's value declines over time (hardly a bold statement, considering his performance in MIA), while Knight's shouldn't. Obviously, we thought it would increase. Knight's been disappointing, for sure, but I doubt many teams would take Dragic over Knight right now. Obviously, Milwaukee wasn't interested last year - and that was back when Dragic was coming off his unbelievable season.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Uncle_Gene wrote:
ShelC wrote:Seriously....now people are unhappy.
I think Ryan McD knows this summer will likely be his last chance to turn this team around.
And that scares me. It's going to keep us from rebuilding the right way and instead giving Al Horford $20 million a season.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

carey

Post by carey »

INFORMER wrote: And that scares me. It's going to keep us from rebuilding the right way and instead giving Al Horford $20 million a season.
Boston's going to do that for us. Don't worry.

Here are some other scenarios I am afraid of though...

1) Giving Gasol the Chandler contract but for 3 years instead of 4.
2) Throwing $15M+ a year at Nic Batum.
3) Giving Harrison Barnes a maximum offer sheet.
4) Giving Al Jefferson a $15M/yr offer.
5) Giving Terrence Jones $12M/yr or more.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

pickle

Post by pickle »

carey wrote: Boston's going to do that for us. Don't worry.

Here are some other scenarios I am afraid of though...

Gasol is going back to the Bulls. He's not coming to the Suns to ride out the twilight of his career.

I like Batum okay, but yeah, he plays the swing positions for which we have two great pieces in place.

Please no Harrison Barnes. He's a quality player, but doesn't really do anything for us in our developmental stage. But thankfully I'm guessing he goes to the Lakers.

I don't know if anybody is gonna go after big Al after what he's done this season. Everyone's focused on Howard's comings and goings but I think Jefferson is in the same boat. A player whose skill set is no longer useful in the current way this game is played.

I would guess the Rockets will try to keep Jones now that they've moved DMo...?

SDC

Post by SDC »

is gasol really going back to the suns, homer? they (chicago) have so many big men they need to pay and so little playing time to distribute to those deserving frontcourtmen.

SDC

Post by SDC »

hmmm.... so washington now has gortat, dudley and keef.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

carey wrote:Here are some other scenarios I am afraid of though...

Pau doesn't want to come here and almost everybody has money to spend on him.

I could live with Batum, even at that price (which isn't outrageous by the new standards), but it is suspicious that his best basketball has come when it is time for his career contract. Could be his new role under Clifford. Anyway, always been a fan.

That Al Jefferson scenario is nuts. It is scary for sure but I'll give McD the benefit of the doubt and he won't spend that much on a guy who should be in minutes restriction for the rest of his career and whose skillset is not in consonance with the new style of game. I spend 7M per on Jefferson, not more.

Barnes and Jones are buyer's remorse waiting to happen. I'd pass. In spades.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

I doubt we will get a lottery pick out of this, dont yall think Kieff will probably elevate Washington into playoffs when he's actually trying? Plus Kieff has never played with a pass first PG like Wall since his rookie season with Nash so he should get some easy buckets.
Last edited by UglyTruth on Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

UglyTruth

Post by UglyTruth »

Washington's undefeated since acquiring Kieff.