2023 General Offseason/PostSeason League News

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
MightyMoog

Re: 2023 General Offseason/PostSeason League News

Post by MightyMoog »

Fouling out is one thing, but we’re talking about ejecting.

Book gets a lot of benefit of calls as well as leeway for yapping his mouth. Not as much as Doncic and Lebron, but more than others.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

MightyMoog wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:31 pm

Book gets a lot of benefit of calls as well as leeway for yapping his mouth. Not as much as Doncic and Lebron, but more than others.
It's probably just my Suns bias, but I feel like Booker should get a lot more calls. And I think he gets away with talking because I think it's mostly directed towards the other team as opposed to the officials.

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

wpmiller42 wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:38 pm
MightyMoog wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:31 pm

It's probably just my Suns bias, but I feel like Booker should get a lot more calls. And I think he gets away with talking because I think it's mostly directed towards the other team as opposed to the officials.
Yes, relative to other stars like Luka, he gets less in his favor. But other players will not get the same calls he will get.

The long and short of it is that the NBA is designed to be a stars league. It's entertainment after all. It feeds us, we enjoy that part of it.
Why we spend all summer rosterbating. If they officiated it fairly, it wouldn't really matter who you traded for or signed in FA, because then the difference between teams winning and losing would be coaching and chemistry. Which would make it way less profitable as a whole.

Stars are a business, think of all the marketing, the podcasts, the tv shows, news outlets, advertising that is created.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Everyone's favorite, Kelly Oubre, was rumored to go to the Heat but he'll be in Philly instead. Could be a nice fit and add some athleticism to the roster.

https://x.com/wojespn/status/1703903362604024025?s=20

Split T

Post by Split T »

He’s got some issues, but he’s a steal on the minimum

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:01 pm
I agree. Is he 30 times worse than Jordan Poole (I think he's more valuable) and 18 times worse than Jordan Clarkson?

The scuttlebutt was that he was going to Miami (also on a minimum), but with this weekend's news that they paused talks with Portland, he likely had no choice but to take the guaranteed money. Chicago was dumb not to throw the Lonzo DPE money at him. He'd fill a big hole for them.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I have to disagree about Oubre being a steal. He's never contributed to an elite team as a bench rotation player, and I've seen enough to say that he's difficult to fit into a scheme. There are valuable parts of his game, but that stuff gets painted over by a lot of the other stuff he's deficient in. "Good value" is as far as I can go with him for the minimum on a contender, and that's if he's handed the only role he's suitable for in about 18mpg and because it's not crippling if he ends up with DNPs or has to be cut in the Spring.

Expecting him to be an every night contributor is a recipe for mediocrity or worse and is why he's on a minimum contract today. He's 27 and had numerous chances to blossom in various schemes and player development systems, and I think the league knows he's never going to be what a lot of people thought he could be 4-5 years ago. It's the same situation for Christian Wood, albeit with slightly different circumstances.

Think about it this way, are there any of the current Suns minimum contract guys you'd rather replace with Oubre? I'd say maybe Damian Lee, but even then I probably wouldn't because it seems Lee has a better understanding of his place in the league and how he can impact a winning roster more than Oubre. I wouldn't ever consider paying Oubre more than any of the Suns current rotation bench players.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I don't even disagree with a lot of that but I still think he can be a serviceable piece with the right team and coach. You just need a coach OK with him taking some bad shots and gambling on defense and some guards who can get him the ball in the right places. Some teams try and play mistake free basketball, others don't. That's kind why I think he and Philly fit. They'll play hard, but not always smart. Looking at the Philly roster, there's just not a lot of perimeter talent or athleticism and he's a guy who can give you 25 on any given night. Of course, if he can't make it work in Philly it'll be a lot harder to get another contract and guys like him have been getting squeezed on money and with their place in the league.

And it's not even about replacing anyone on this team with him. We don't really need what Oubre does well because of Beal, Book and KD on the perimeter. So we need strict 3-D guys and knockdown shooters. But I think he'd have fit on other teams like the Mavs, Clips, Hawks, Bucks, Cavs.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Youu guys are particularly off your rocker today. Except FF. He’s smart

Cap

Post by Cap »

Split T wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:01 pm
He’s got some issues, and those issues mean he doesn’t belong on a championship contender except in a very limited role. The question is whether you consider the Sixers a championship contender, and if so whether they plan to use him in a very limited role.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:36 am

Think about it this way, are there any of the current Suns minimum contract guys you'd rather replace with Oubre? I'd say maybe Damian Lee, but even then I probably wouldn't because it seems Lee has a better understanding of his place in the league and how he can impact a winning roster more than Oubre. I wouldn't ever consider paying Oubre more than any of the Suns current rotation bench players.
Shel already said it, but the big difference is we don’t need what Oubre offers. But I would have taken him on last years squad. Would he have changed things? Not likely, but we were in desperate need of a player the other team had to guard. He would have been better than TJ Warren.

TOO

Post by TOO »

It's funny people can talk themselves into Oubre but not Wood, they are the same. I'm not counting on either for meaningful minutes.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I don’t think they are the same. I think Wood causes problems in the locker room. I’d take Wood the basketball player over Oubre, but you don’t just get the basketball player.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:31 am
He's worth it for the push ups and kiss blowing alone.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:00 am
specialsauce wrote:
Listen boners aren’t good for your covid recovery. Minimize those thoughts. (Hope you’re feeling better)

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

This is one of my favorite off season podcasts because it's an underrated way the NBA discourse evaluates player talent.

Mock Rookie Extensions 2023

https://nateduncannba.com/podcast-episo ... ions-2023/
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

specialsauce wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:41 am
Superbone wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Listen boners aren’t good for your covid recovery. Minimize those thoughts. (Hope you’re feeling better)
What about Superboners?

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:14 am
specialsauce wrote:
Superbone wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
What about Superboners?
That was the running joke with my group of friends... That the vaccine would give us a couple of extra inches. Lord knows I could use the help :lol:

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Kryptonic wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:53 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:14 am
specialsauce wrote:
Superbone wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
What about Superboners?
That was the running joke with my group of friends... That the vaccine would give us a couple of extra inches. Lord knows I could use the help :lol:
Now I know we've reached the dog days of the offseason. We're just straight up talking about our dongs up in here. Somebody make a "How big is Shaq's pack?" thread stat! :)