Around the League News - 2022 Offseason Edition

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Indy

Re: Around the League News - 2022 Offseason Edition

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:27 am
Ya our 2023 title chances might not be as high, but they’d still go up imo.

With KD let’s say it’s like 33% the next 2 years and then drops off. SGA might only give us a 15-20% chance the next couple years, but he’d keep us from dropping off and we might actually go up over the future years.
But he is only on a 4 year contract, too. So your window to win and keep him really isn't any longer.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

We really need some players who can generate free throws (Non-rip through). Huge issue in our starting 5 right now.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Shabazz wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:39 am
We really need some players who can generate free throws (Non-rip through). Huge issue in our starting 5 right now.
Yep. And it is a huge issue for our entire team, not just starting 5.

We were 27th out of 30 last year in FTA/G.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:37 am
Split T wrote:

With KD let’s say it’s like 33% the next 2 years and then drops off. SGA might only give us a 15-20% chance the next couple years, but he’d keep us from dropping off and we might actually go up over the future years.
But he is only on a 4 year contract, too. So your window to win and keep him really isn't any longer.
I wouldn’t be worried about keeping him, I’d be worried about KD aging

Split T

Post by Split T »

Been thinking about the league as a whole, what teams/players are you guys excited to see this year? I know a lot of you don’t really follow the league outside of a suns fans perspective, but I also find some entertainment from the league as a whole.

1. Brooklyn is really interesting to me. With all the turmoil, they quietly still have a very good team.

Kyrie-Curry-KD-Simmons is a really nice foundation. This is exactly the type of team you build around Simmons to maximize him. Still also have Joe Harris, Patty Mills, and Nic Claxton. Also added TJ Warren and Royce O’Neale. This is a very good team if they all play nice.

2. Lakers - you guys might hate me for this, but I kinda think they’re gonna be good. Not really title contender good, but like fighting for home court good. I think Beverley is a good fit, I think they’ll move Westbrook for something like Hield/Turner and I’m expecting an AD bounce back.

Beverley-Hield-LBJ-AD-Turner is quite the starting 5. Puts a lot on LBJ as a creator, but defensively they would be quite good. If Nunn and/or Walker can give them something off the bench, I think they are a potential challenger.

3. Bucks - will people sleep on them after their loss to Boston? I think with Middleton healthy they probably are back to back champions. They are my early eastern favorites.

4. Denver - Everyone been trying to call them a contender if only healthy…I don’t really buy it, but I’m curious to see it. I think they do have a really nice roster, just don’t think they’ll be able to defend when they have to.

Murray-KCP-MPJ-AG-Jokic. They’ve lost depth though so they really need to stay healthy. I like Bones Hyland though.Think they can push to the WCF if they get the right draw, but a smart team with an elite offensive playmaker will shred them in the playoffs. Think CP3, Curry/Green.

5. Clippers - I think if healthy this is the best team in the nba. Unlimited wings on the roster. Kawhi and PG should be fresh and healthy and they can easily coast all year with all their depth. They are my clear title favorites if they are healthy come playoff time.

6. Rudy-KAT pairing…Minny is all in on this and I’m curious how it works.

7. Pels - CJ/Ingram are a lot of fun and we get to see how they incorporate Zion into that. That’s an absolute ton of offensive talent. Add Herb Jones for defense and they are very close to being a very good team. Think we could see a Memphis like run for a top 3 seed out of them.

8. I’m curious how Trae/DeJounte works…I don’t like the pairing, but maybe Trae is willing to play off ball more.

9. Cavs - Love the Cavs, they are fun. Garland/Mobley/Allen is a phenomenal core. If they can find a 2-way wing somewhere, watch out.

10. Portland - What does Dame have left? I don’t think there’s any chance Portland is a contender, but they put a decent team around Dame and he’s always a pleasure to watch. Hope we get a few more 50 pieces from Dame this year.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Chet Holgrem is out for the season. He looks really durable so I'm surprised.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:47 am
Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:

I was talking about SGA. Agreed on the risk of KD.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:10 am
Been thinking about the league as a whole, what teams/players are you guys excited to see this year? I know a lot of you don’t really follow the league outside of a suns fans perspective, but I also find some entertainment from the league as a whole.

1. Brooklyn is really interesting to me. With all the turmoil, they quietly still have a very good team.

Kyrie-Curry-KD-Simmons is a really nice foundation. This is exactly the type of team you build around Simmons to maximize him. Still also have Joe Harris, Patty Mills, and Nic Claxton. Also added TJ Warren and Royce O’Neale. This is a very good team if they all play nice.

2. Lakers - you guys might hate me for this, but I kinda think they’re gonna be good. Not really title contender good, but like fighting for home court good. I think Beverley is a good fit, I think they’ll move Westbrook for something like Hield/Turner and I’m expecting an AD bounce back.

Beverley-Hield-LBJ-AD-Turner is quite the starting 5. Puts a lot on LBJ as a creator, but defensively they would be quite good. If Nunn and/or Walker can give them something off the bench, I think they are a potential challenger.

3. Bucks - will people sleep on them after their loss to Boston? I think with Middleton healthy they probably are back to back champions. They are my early eastern favorites.

4. Denver - Everyone been trying to call them a contender if only healthy…I don’t really buy it, but I’m curious to see it. I think they do have a really nice roster, just don’t think they’ll be able to defend when they have to.

Murray-KCP-MPJ-AG-Jokic. They’ve lost depth though so they really need to stay healthy. I like Bones Hyland though.Think they can push to the WCF if they get the right draw, but a smart team with an elite offensive playmaker will shred them in the playoffs. Think CP3, Curry/Green.

5. Clippers - I think if healthy this is the best team in the nba. Unlimited wings on the roster. Kawhi and PG should be fresh and healthy and they can easily coast all year with all their depth. They are my clear title favorites if they are healthy come playoff time.

6. Rudy-KAT pairing…Minny is all in on this and I’m curious how it works.

7. Pels - CJ/Ingram are a lot of fun and we get to see how they incorporate Zion into that. That’s an absolute ton of offensive talent. Add Herb Jones for defense and they are very close to being a very good team. Think we could see a Memphis like run for a top 3 seed out of them.

8. I’m curious how Trae/DeJounte works…I don’t like the pairing, but maybe Trae is willing to play off ball more.

9. Cavs - Love the Cavs, they are fun. Garland/Mobley/Allen is a phenomenal core. If they can find a 2-way wing somewhere, watch out.

10. Portland - What does Dame have left? I don’t think there’s any chance Portland is a contender, but they put a decent team around Dame and he’s always a pleasure to watch. Hope we get a few more 50 pieces from Dame this year.
This is a good rundown of some key things around the league. I agree with your thoughts on a lot of it.

If you are using the "if healthy" caveat for the Clippers, I would extend the "best team in the NBA" chances to the Pels. I think people forget how great Zion was. I wouldn't bet a dime on him playing 60 games this year, though.

Do you think the Nets starters are Kyrie, Harris, TJ, Kevin and Simmons? Or TJ is first off the bench and they start a more traditional line up? I read some buzz about Simmons playing center this year.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:33 pm
Split T wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:47 am
Indy wrote:
Split T wrote:

I was talking about SGA. Agreed on the risk of KD.
Ya I know, just saying that my future view of the team doesn’t really rely on how long they are signed. KD likely won’t have value beyond his current deal. SGA will and I don’t think we’d have any problem keeping him if we want him.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I am on board with doing (almost) anything we can to get SGA here. He is one of the few guys in the league that immediately becomes our 2nd best player and also fits well on the team going forward and fits our core timeline.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:39 pm
Split T wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:10 am

This is a good rundown of some key things around the league. I agree with your thoughts on a lot of it.

If you are using the "if healthy" caveat for the Clippers, I would extend the "best team in the NBA" chances to the Pels. I think people forget how great Zion was. I wouldn't bet a dime on him playing 60 games this year, though.

Do you think the Nets starters are Kyrie, Harris, TJ, Kevin and Simmons? Or TJ is first off the bench and they start a more traditional line up? I read some buzz about Simmons playing center this year.
I do think the Pels can be a high level team. I think I have some defensive concerns that keep them(potentially) below a team like the Clippers. If they upgraded Valunciunas to a defensive stretch 5, I could see it more.

As for the nets, I have no clue what they start. I imagine they’ll start the 4 I mentioned, Kyrie, Curry, KD, Simmons, but beyond that I’m not sure. I’m not sure the Nets know either. I think I’d lean Claxton, at least at first, but I’d definitely want to experiment with Simmons at the 5. Harris or Warren could be the 5th guy there.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:07 am
If we can figure out a way to replace Chris Paul with SGA going forward, that would be huge.
Just trade Chris Paul for SGA. :P
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:04 pm
Lol

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I would LOVE SGA. But where do we play him

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:04 pm
The worst part was that play looked so innocent. Not a good sign for the stick man.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:23 pm
I would LOVE SGA. But where do we play him
At the 2/3 when CP3 is in and at the 1 when CP3 is on the bench. Shai is 6’6 with a 7’0 wingspan. It does push Mikal to the 4 which he’s too small for, but those are problems you deal with when it means adding a 24 year old all star level player.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't see why the Thunder would gift SGA to the Suns. He's a great young player, and we don't have anything they would want more than SGA himself.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

The Suns didn't have enough assets to go for KD, but SGA is attainable and also get to keep Mikal? Yeah right.

Split T

Post by Split T »

No one is saying they’d gift him to us…and this is in a situation where he gets fed up with all the losing and asks out. Does SGA want to wait for Giddey, Chet, and whoever they draft next year to be ready? SGA is already in his prime now.

I don’t have us giving up Mikal, because I don’t think they’d want him. He’s older than Shai and also not really on their timeline. Ayton might make sense for them. He’s the same age as SGA, but maybe more willing to be patient, but we don’t really know. Add 4 future 1sts and there ya go.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I found this interesting and would be a good place to look for role players in our system. PJ Washington stands out as a good PF/Smallball C option. Though he’s up for an extension and we’d have to pay him, so that gets tricky. Might have to decide between him and CamJ and I don’t think I like him enough to choose him over Cam.

I would love a Kenyon Martin Jr. level athlete on our team too.