2018 Trade Deadline

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Aztec Sunsfan

Re: 2018 Trade Deadline

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
ShelC wrote:Shooting should be a priority this offseason. Up and down the roster. No excuses.
I agree. I really think we should literally sign zero players who are not good shooters. It's a glaring weakness on our roster. If we had 1-2 more good shooters in the rotation, we could actually win a few games.
Not even Ricky?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'd be open to a Kevin Love trade because I think he'd be a great fit with Booker and be the double double guy we need up front. Windhorst said the Cavs are going to be making moves and George Hill is already being discussed. I doubt the Cavs would make such a big move in the middle of the year but if they're thinking about this year and beyond (if LBJ leaves), maybe they'd be enticed by Monroe and his ending deal, plus Chriss and some combo of TJ, Len and our 2020 pick?
Last edited by ShelC on Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I'd love (heh) to get Kevin Love. I think the Cavs have criminally misused him and that he's much better than he's shown there. I don't think he plays well with a guy who holds the ball and runs as much of the offense as Lebron. I think his numbers will shoot up if he gets a change of scenery.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:I'd love (heh) to get Kevin Love. I think the Cavs have criminally misused him and that he's much better than he's shown there. I don't think he plays well with a guy who holds the ball and runs as much of the offense as Lebron. I think his numbers will shoot up if he gets a change of scenery.
USG%s this season:

Love 26.2
James 30.7
Booker 31.3

1tinsoldier

Post by 1tinsoldier »

my impression of Love over the last 3 Finals was that he was more of a liability. if they've got defensive problems this year i'd blame Love first (and apparently they have)

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Love is one of my summer trade targets. If he is on the block, I would go for it.

Anthony Davis is another one. Could he be had for a similar price to Jimmy Butler? One high pick, one good player, and one prospect? Bagley / Chriss / Warren would allow them to rebuild the whole front line with one trade.

We still really need to get a second guard to play with Book.
The league needs heroes, villains... and clowns. -- Aztec Sunsfan

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I would like to add Kevin Love too. But I'm not moving TJ Warren to do it.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Sacramento has to clear a roster spot to take on one or two additional players in a deal with Cleveland and has been discussing deals for young forwards Malachi Richardson and Skal Labissiere to clear roster spots, league sources said.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2219 ... eorge-hill

I would like to see make a play for Skal.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Split T

Post by Split T »

We'd also have to clear a roster spot for skal and we've got two other similarly talented prospects at his position. I'm not anti skal, but I don't see him as an upgrade over Bender or Chriss. All are pretty up in the air prospect wise. Still, kinda surprised Sacramento is trying to move him and not just dump one of their vets (koufos, Carter, Randolph, etc.)

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I do see Skal as more of a center as opposed to Bender and Chriss being power forwards. Skal has a nice skill set around the basket, but obviously needs to gain a great amount of strength and mass to hold his own.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Hermen

Post by Hermen »

1tinsoldier wrote:my impression of Love over the last 3 Finals was that he was more of a liability. if they've got defensive problems this year i'd blame Love first (and apparently they have)
I think it's unfair to blame Love for their struggles, their defense is not this bad because of one player. They just don't play good defense as a team. Part of it is certainly effort, and part of it is that they didn't even practice until recently.

carey

Post by carey »

INFORMER wrote:I would like to add Kevin Love too. But I'm not moving TJ Warren to do it.
Would you trade Monroe, Chriss and a pick?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

carey wrote:
INFORMER wrote:I would like to add Kevin Love too. But I'm not moving TJ Warren to do it.
Would you trade Monroe, Chriss and a pick?
If we aren't sending salary back, I would only add one asset. Monroe + a pick OR Chriss. This summer it could be just Chriss or a first for Love straight up.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

In2ition wrote:I do see Skal as more of a center as opposed to Bender and Chriss being power forwards. Skal has a nice skill set around the basket, but obviously needs to gain a great amount of strength and mass to hold his own.
It's tough to evaluate Skal because (IMHO) the coaching in Sac is so bad, but he seems to be a good finisher, but not a good team player. Like, he really has no idea where his teammates are, so when he catches it he is almost always going to shoot.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

O_Gardino wrote:Love is one of my summer trade targets. If he is on the block, I would go for it.

Anthony Davis is another one. Could he be had for a similar price to Jimmy Butler? One high pick, one good player, and one prospect? Bagley / Chriss / Warren would allow them to rebuild the whole front line with one trade.

Why even talk about Anthony Davis? There is absolutely no way that New Orleans would make him available.

Split T

Post by Split T »

It's not likely, but you can't be absolutely sure. People who no one thought was available become available from time to time (Kyrie)

New Orleans is a playoff team this year and that's probably enough to bring the team back next year (assuming they can re-sign cousins). However, if it's apparent they are the same team next year and not a contender, they'd have to do something and moving Davis could get them a very nice haul.

In this scenario, I don't think we'd have a very good offer unless we made Booker available. They'd be building around cousins and looking for elite perimeter play to pair with him, not draft picks and projects.

If we were to get AD, cousins would have to leave in FA and the Pelicans would have to bottom out, AD would request a trade and we'd take on Jrue's contract with AD for expirings, youngsters, and draft picks. Something like Chandler, Dudley, Jackson, Chriss, our 2019 1st, unprotected Miami 1st, Milwaukee 1st for Jrue/AD. Depending on what we do with our draft picks this year, they could be used instead of Jackson/Chriss. Bender also could be an option.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

Marty [Mori Chu] wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:Love is one of my summer trade targets. If he is on the block, I would go for it.

Why even talk about Anthony Davis? There is absolutely no way that New Orleans would make him available.
He will be available eventually, and this summer he may ask to be traded, assuming that Cousins leaves.

The Pels tied up all their assets in a team that will get bounced in the first round, and they will start next season a very bad team. 95 million tied up in 9 players, and it's not their top 9. They will lose 5 rotation players this summer, and only be a few million under the cap to replace them all. Maybe Davis feels like he and the Pels have given it their best shot and it's time want to part ways.

I certainly hope McD is on the phone with them. The Pels could benefit a lot from a top prospect and two years of high draft picks before jumping back into free agency in 2020 when all those bad contracts come off the books.

Of course, that all changes if they can keep Cousins and keep competing. I don't expect it, though.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

You guys are crazy. Davis is one of the top 5-6 players in the NBA. He's a Pelicans lifer, and they know how important he is to their team. They're having a good overall season and are excited about their twin towers. They don't have a Lebron there to poison the well and ruin their relationship with AD. They absolutely will not trade the guy under any circumstances.

When you are looking for free agents, you have to pick more plausible candidates. Love is plausible. Andre Drummond, maybe plausible. Dame Lillard, maaaaybe. Guys where the situation isn't quite working, where you can picture them wanting out, where you can picture the team wanting to move on from them.

O_Gardino

Post by O_Gardino »

I don't think the Pels want to move Davis, but I firmly believe that Davis will ask out sooner or later. The Pelicans are a very poorly run franchise, and Davis will eventually get tired of losing there.

Remember, Cousins is unrestricted this summer. He can go wherever he wants. There's a very good chance he will leave. If he does, that leaves Davis as the only star on one of the NBA's worst team's again. Why wouldn't he ask out? What's in it for him to stay?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Agreed, I don't think it's crazy to think Davis comes available. Whether we would actually have the assets to get him is the better question